Governing bodies review of long putters

Status
Not open for further replies.
With golf losing so many older players already, this rule change is destined to make courses even less populated. This is good if you are a weekend warrior and bad if you work in the industry. People want to play by the rules and if the rules make them go back to the yips, they'll quit the game.
I've been using a 45 incher for 22 years.

It's sad when the only equalizer, the flat stick, gets easier to use. Hell, there's not a whole lot to understand with a putting stroke. It's just the execution of the whole stroke is unnerving. I understand people can still suck it up with a long putter, as evidenced by the nerves of Adam Scott, but really...come on. The old guys just sit out there on the damn putting green all day with their original Ansers and Bullseyes and have no problem burying guys who hit it twice as far as them. Why don't they just make the effing hole bigger?

Guess I'm just biased. I rather like seeing someone over a putt where they feel like they could throw up from the pressure just drop it dead center, using their HANDS (or arms or shoulders or whatever the hell you feel like you use...just not the chest).

I'm with you on that one schultzie. Something just not right about the long stick. If you can't putt, just accept it and get on with it. if Adam Scott had learned to overcome his putting problems maybe he would have had the mental strength to win the Open. As it was he took the easy way out by opting for the broomstick, and this weakness showed up on the last 4 holes. Not saying he took the gas, but he certainly should've won. And IMHO he should sack his clown caddie. I may give him a call and offer my services.;)

I'm with you on that one schultzie. Something just not right about the long stick. If you can't putt, just accept it and get on with it. if Adam Scott had learned to overcome his putting problems maybe he would have had the mental strength to win the Open. As it was he took the easy way out by opting for the broomstick, and this weakness showed up on the last 4 holes. Not saying he took the gas, but he certainly should've won. And IMHO he should sack his clown caddie. I may give him a call and offer my services.;)

Can't really agree with what I quoted in bold. Els won with a great putt on 18 - and Scott missed. The "taking the easy way out" logic would have them both choking their guts up down the stretch.

@dschultz - why is the putter the only equalizer? Why shouldn't great driving, or great iron play, be just as much of a leveller? The Open came down to a duel between the 2 guys who happened to hit it best from tee to green for the week. I'm not saying that's the only way to win, but I'm happy to see it happen when it does. Who wants golf reduced to a putting contest? Come to think of it, I think the long putter is the true equalizer. It lets guys, who maybe aren't great putters, putt at least well enough to contend if the rest of their game is in good shape.

And it should be obvious by now that an anchored stroke doesn't make putts automatic. So why is it ok to make a wristy stroke, or a shoulder stroke, or a cack-handed stroke - but not stick it in your gut?

While we're at it - why is it okay to spend a small fortune on a Scotty, or an Edel fitting, or a SAM Puttlab in your garden - but not, like anyone at home with half an inclination to try it, jam an extra length of shaft in your putter?

Lastly, why are we so squeamish about what it looks like? I thought we were the form follows function crowd.

Can't really agree with what I quoted in bold. Els won with a great putt on 18 - and Scott missed. The "taking the easy way out" logic would have them both choking their guts up down the stretch.

@dschultz - why is the putter the only equalizer? Why shouldn't great driving, or great iron play, be just as much of a leveller? The Open came down to a duel between the 2 guys who happened to hit it best from tee to green for the week. I'm not saying that's the only way to win, but I'm happy to see it happen when it does. Who wants golf reduced to a putting contest? Come to think of it, I think the long putter is the true equalizer. It lets guys, who maybe aren't great putters, putt at least well enough to contend if the rest of their game is in good shape.

And it should be obvious by now that an anchored stroke doesn't make putts automatic. So why is it ok to make a wristy stroke, or a shoulder stroke, or a cack-handed stroke - but not stick it in your gut?

While we're at it - why is it okay to spend a small fortune on a Scotty, or an Edel fitting, or a SAM Puttlab in your garden - but not, like anyone at home with half an inclination to try it, jam an extra length of shaft in your putter?

Lastly, why are we so squeamish about what it looks like? I thought we were the form follows function crowd.
A bad putter is a match for no one. A great putter is a match for anyone. That's what I mean.

Not necessarily, me old codge. Maybe Scott would have won if Ernesto had had a 4 shot lead on the back 9 and Scottyboy had finished while Ernst was still out there having to close the sale.

With golf losing so many older players already, this rule change is destined to make courses even less populated. This is good if you are a weekend warrior and bad if you work in the industry. People want to play by the rules and if the rules make them go back to the yips, they'll quit the game.
I've been using a 45 incher for 22 years.

Bifurcation.

That's the real problem--golfers want to play by the same rules if from different tees. They all want the v grooves now, for example.
It's going to save a few hundred k for the few tour players getting beat by guys with the long putters, but it'll cost the industry billions.

Obviously the boys in Far Hills have too much time on their hands, or they've had a few too many pops. They let the golf ball get ridiculously hot and the face of drivers like spring boards, to the point where some of the great fields of play are totally obsolete, and they're gonna outlaw the belly? The horses are out of the barn boys...

Status
Not open for further replies.