Gracovetsky's Spinal Engine Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej20

New
From anther thread linking to Phil Cheetham's quote.
Thanks for that.I thought so.Purposely putting the brakes on my hip turn never produced more power for me.This is where 3D motion analysis has it's limitations.What is actually happening in the golf swing could be at odds with the biomechanics.One "sees" deceleration and then assumes it is done on purpose.

Thanks for that.I thought so.Purposely putting the brakes on my hip turn never produced more power for me.This is where 3D motion analysis has it's limitations.What is actually happening in the golf swing could be at odds with the biomechanics. One "sees" deceleration and then assumes it is done on purpose.

Ya, the 3d motions do not show forces and torques. Not at odds with biomechanics, but maybe more of a study in biokinetics. The last sentence is more than likely the crux of the problem in this debate.

lia41985

The deceleration may simply be a reactionary product because of stretch-shorten cycles and/or the counter-rotatory phenomenon associated with spinal movement.

The deceleration may simply be a reactionary product because of stretch-shorten cycles and/or the counter-rotatory phenomenon associated with spinal movement.

Lia, could you give a quick synopsis of the "counter-rotatory phenomenon associated with spinal movement"?

I was hoping that was/were the motion(s) you were referring to, along with myofascial chains. I don't know if it would be considered a "phenomenon", though.

lia41985

I'm not sure I understand where I lost you. The counter-rotation is the movement I'm referring to. I'm referring to this movement as a phenomenon almost ironically because there are notions of how the spine should function that are in stark contrast (incorrectly) with that model.

I happen to have a lot of training in spinal biomechanics and know the coupled motions of the lumbar spine very well. I learned the "counter-rotary phenomenon" as an un-named mechanism associated with connecting the lumbar spine and the pelvic motions--at that time it was prior to Gracovetsky's spinal engine theory. I understood it as a biomechanical mechanism based on anatomical structure and didn't really think of it as a phenomenon with the meaning of an exceptional, unusual, or abnormal, thing, or occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.