Graeme McDowell

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think about him? He may push for number 1 this year.. he doesn't have the most pleasing swing to watch..or is he the longest off the tee.. or the strongest. But damn he can play. He even has a beer belly lol.

Good Example

...I find it interesting that both he and Dustin Johnson (arguably 2 of the best players on the planet right now) both have bent left wrists at the top of the backswing or the start of transition.

Obviously they both have the club in tremendous positions at impact to produce the results we've seen over the past 2 years. Just more proof that the ball doesn't know what the club is doing at any other time during the swing.

On a personal level: following his Twitter account is always good for a laugh or a picture of him with a pint.
http://yfrog.com/h6b88aj:iphone
I think it would be good times to hit a pub with McIlroy, Poulter, Westwood and McDowell - they always have banter going.

ej20

New
...I find it interesting that both he and Dustin Johnson (arguably 2 of the best players on the planet right now) both have bent left wrists at the top of the backswing or the start of transition.

Obviously they both have the club in tremendous positions at impact to produce the results we've seen over the past 2 years. Just more proof that the ball doesn't know what the club is doing at any other time during the swing.

On a personal level: following his Twitter account is always good for a laugh or a picture of him with a pint.
http://yfrog.com/h6b88aj:iphone
I think it would be good times to hit a pub with McIlroy, Poulter, Westwood and McDowell - they always have banter going.

Do you mean arched?

I definitely don't think this guy is done winning. I personally hope to see him snag a few more majors. He also would make a great world #1 in my opinion.

Plays the game with character, intensity, and he's not a robot. Just seems like a good guy.

He means bowed.. McDowell only averages 287 off the tee.

Sure - whatever the correct technical term is. My point is that they both get results and hit it long (or long enough) and aren't in "textbook" positions at the top.

Just to clarify: I like his action and watching him play.

I really don't like his swing and the bowed left wrist has little to do with my disliking of his swing. He's extremely talented and had great hand-to-eye coordination and timing. It wouldn't shock me if he became a forgotten man in 5 years or so, but I think he has enough pure talent and it helps that he is a Trackman user. I honestly believe if he wasn't a Trackman user his career wouldn't be what it is today.

3JACK

It would surprise me if he was not still competing at the highest level in 5 years. I think he is a lot like Furyk in the sense that he is a tenacious competitor, but also because he has not allowed anyone to convince him to change his basic swing...which works on and off (like everyone else.)

Everybody salivates over Tiger trying to "own his swing" like Hogan and Moe. I think that is his Achilles heel. People marvel that he changed the swing that won the 97 Masters by a mile. I said "What a retard!" Then he changed the handy motion he had going in 2000! "Retard!"

G-mac has been one of my favs for a couple of years. Tired of the khaki brigade of the pgatour. BORING! G-mac's swing is textbook, he just happens to be the editor of this particular one!

natep

New
Great post, Scottrob. I agree. Even if his swing isnt the most efficient motion one can make, if it's good enough and you can repeat it and win majors then more power to you.

Why, why, why?

He's about average to below average as far as distance goes. His backswing with the bowed left wrist doesn't bother me because he gets it 'on plane' in the downswing every time. He's known as a good ballstriker who hits sizeable draws and his miss is an over-draw.

Watching his swing, he hangs back a bit thru impact, shoulders get really vertical, he 'swings out to the right' quite a bit and his rate of closure is very high. Pretty typical for a Tour player who hits that big of a draw.

But, with his level of quality ballstriking, it's easy to see that he has great timing and great hand-eye coordination. Somebody with 'pretty good' timing and hand-eye coordination, would likely be much less of a ballstriker IMO because that swing requires a lot of it.

If he was really long, like top 20 on the PGA Tour long, I'd consider that length for a swing that requires the timing and hand-eye coordination that he has to be a fair tradeoff. IF that was the case and I was him, I'd take solace that I have good hand-eye coordination and timing that most of the time I'll be okay and my top 20 power would bail me out a lot as well.

But, he has more or less average to mediocre power for a Tour player. I've seen the video of him on Trackman and he's basically understanding the elementary basics of D-Plane. I can't remember what his face and path numbers were, something like 1* face and 3* path. But he got the idea down and was practicing that diligently.

I think the pitfalls for a player like him is when he starts over-drawing it more and then starts missing shots to the right as well because he can't time the rate of closure as well as he once did. In the past, with the old ball flight laws...I think he would likely have mis-identified the problem. Now with Trackman, he can go and measure his numbers and if he's over-drawing, he'll know why and if he's blocking, he'll know why.

Still though, it wouldn't shock me if he has some issues in the future because he's still got to know how to fix issues biomechanically.

3JACK

btp

New
I really don't like his swing and the bowed left wrist has little to do with my disliking of his swing. He's extremely talented and had great hand-to-eye coordination and timing. It wouldn't shock me if he became a forgotten man in 5 years or so, but I think he has enough pure talent and it helps that he is a Trackman user. I honestly believe if he wasn't a Trackman user his career wouldn't be what it is today.

3JACK
I don't agree with the Trackman being the key to where he is today. Hot putter, and confidence is my 2 cents. I would guess almost all of the guys on tour have used launch monitors and many have used trackman. Not everybody is making putts. If he can repeat the swing, who cares whether the wrist is bowed or flat or cupped.

He is rockin a nice little beer gut though. :) Maybe a pint of Guinness is the secret.

Great post, Scottrob. I agree. Even if his swing isnt the most efficient motion one can make, if it's good enough and you can repeat it and win majors then more power to you.

I think Furyk's swing is much, much better than McDowell's and I think it's easy to see why Furyk's is so repeatable. The only thing Furyk lacks is power. If was a legit top 50-75 in power on the PGA Tour, he'd be even more incredible than he is today.

3JACK

I don't agree with the Trackman being the key to where he is today. Hot putter, and confidence is my 2 cents. I would guess almost all of the guys on tour have used launch monitors and many have used trackman. Not everybody is making putts. If he can repeat the swing, who cares whether the wrist is bowed or flat or cupped.

He is rockin a nice little beer gut though. :) Maybe a pint of Guinness is the secret.

Very true. But he can't even get to the dance if he doesn't strike the ball quite well, particularly at the US Open. You have to strike the ball well at the US Open, you just can't putt it great and hit it so-so.

And he's known as a good ballstriker. And like I've said a few times now, my dislike for his swing has *nothing* to do with the bowed left wrist. I don't see that as a problem at all.

3JACK

Status
Not open for further replies.