Grip Vs and where they point

Status
Not open for further replies.
thought this might be a good forum for this topic

conventional advice says:</u>

the Vs of both left and right hand shld point to the right shoulder for a right handed golfer

the real world:</u>

i checked the grip of some top level golfers as well as some district juniors who are in a golf academy and have coaching which includes a TGM guy

the 2 Vs DO NOT point at the same place

do you agree they do not in yr experience (assuming a correct grip)?

if you do agree - where do they point ?

if you do agree - why does the idea that the Vs will point to the right shoulder get repeated ad nausem ?

if you dont agree - would you please comment perhaps using the pic in http://homepage.mac.com/brianmanzella/.Public/bmanzellasept03.pdf as a reference

quote:Originally posted by brianman

I will try to give a long answer on this great question on Friday...traveling to play and teach at Seminole.

in the meantime would anyone else give their own observations on what they see

I don't think the V's should come into it because thumb positions of each hand complicate this.
Best to use the palms as a guide, but I think the V on the right hand should point further right than the left hand one. The left hand v should be pointing up to the chin in my opinion.
Bearing physical differences in mind you wanna get that left palm as parralel to the targer line as possible but with the most important ingrediant... that left heel pad on top of the club. Some less thick set people may hav to turn the hand round a little bit to get this in my opinion. (back of left hand poiting slightly to the right of the target)
This is all for a right handed golfer of course.

ej20

New
I notice in pro golf a lot of players use a strong left hand grip but not many use a strong right hand grip.

Elkington is an example of a very strong left and neutral right.V's not aligned.

Get the left hand where you want/need it, and then the cup of the right hand covers the left thumb, snugging it down securely, regardless of where the 'V' points.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I like a Neutral Grip.

If you do it right, the V's point more or less to the same place....

BUT!!!!

I HATE the V's.

They have used the v's since before Mickey Rooney was the only guy in Hollywood who would.

And people STILL grip it like SH$#!

You can have "mismatched" hands and win on TOUR, but, to me, it the the hands relationship to the clubface that matters.

quote:Originally posted by brianman

I will try to give a long answer on this great question on Friday...traveling to play and teach at Seminole.

Brian

I think we need the long answer

bray

New
quote:Originally posted by cjgolf

quote:Originally posted by bray

cjgolf,

In the meantime.
What grip do you teach?

Sorting Through the Duffer's Bible.

B-Ray

i dont teach

o.k. then what grip do you employ for your own stroke???
where are your v's pointed???
or where are your pressure points??

By the way well we are on this grip topic.
Here's a good question and I believe this may be similar to what you asked originally cjgolf.

If the pressure point are positioned properly on the club. Will the v's point in the same place???

Sorting through the Duffer's Bible.

B-Ray

[/quote]

o.k. then what grip do you employ for your own stroke???
where are your v's pointed???
or where are your pressure points??

By the way well we are on this grip topic.
Here's a good question and I believe this may be similar to what you asked originally cjgolf.

If the pressure point are positioned properly on the club. Will the v's point in the same place???

NO see below

Sorting through the Duffer's Bible.

B-Ray
[/quote]

I am not too fastidious with my grip in terms of checking what I do because I not convinced that I know exactly what it shld be

having said that, a number of pros tell me my grip is good conversely Brady Riggs (redgoat) thought it was too strong (at the time he checked it for me - maybe I slipped into using a strong grip at some stage

i do know at one stage my grip changed when i went to a wedge without me even knowing it

what about I post a pic or 2 if I can dig them out ?

when Brian's original article came out I did try that and had some success but like everything else it either wore off, or I went onto something else as one does :)

i dont have too much time for golf so I just dont have time to apply and test out all that we read about as much as I wld love to.

as per my original post what I found by closely looking at grips of top golfers was that the 2 Vs DO NOT point at the same place

i found it perplexing that the notion that the Vs point to the right shoulder gets repeated ad nausem and I still do because its not what I see

what i see is that the crease btn the left thumb and index finger points more or less just right of centre - say in the direction of start of right ear - maybe right eye wld be a more accurate description

the crease btn the right thumb and index finger points more to the right of centre than the left hand crease - say in the direction of right shoulder

small but maybe significant difference btn angle of right and left hand

i believe picture 5 in Brian's article illustrates this

anyway thats why i posted as I thought this was a good forum to do it

if Brian can regain his initial enthusiasm for this topic I think it wld be good but maybe others think this is way too detailed already ?

for me when i try his left thumb position I find it hard to keep it in that spot - it feels like a no man's land - my left thumb "wants" to be on the aft side of the shaft - it just wants to go there

on top is too weak and I find it hard to hold Brian's position

I suspect that cld be significant and I suspect that wld be part of Brian's audio answer (implicitly or explicitly)

i suspect that there might be some significance in maybe not having the left thumb applying any pressure hence that might mean it can more or less dangle in Brian's preferred position

then the next ? wld be if it can dangle there why cant it dangle on the aft side of the shaft ? or on top since it can sit independantly of the rest of the left hand

the answer might be ?

your thoughts.....

Thanks for that man!

Have not seen that one.

Just made me stumble upon a very important thing in my grip too...

I discovered that what I have thought was Vertical is actually weaker than Vertical....

In that article I noticed that Brian's grip seemed to be stronger than I expected it would be.

So I took my grip on a club and started to look at my left wrist with the club out in front of me (at about eye level and roughly parallel to the ground)......I looked at the UNDERSIDE of the LWrist.....it was very weak (Rolled in TGM terms)

.....have never looked at the underside of my LWrist much.....and not from that angle.

I think it may be a better way to determine if your wrist is Vertical......

This is prolly why when Homer shows pics of a Vertical L. Wrist in TGM they always look a touch Turned to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.