"Hang in There";"Layoff for awhile"; or "Just Quit"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title says it all -

Need to decide if I should “Keep at it”; “Take a 3 month or so Layoff”, or “Just Plain Quit”.

I returned from my bi-annual 4 day trip to Pinehurst just a few days ago (total of 12 good golfers – hdcps from 0 to 5).

My scores were 81, 82, 84, & 78. The last round is pretty typical of the way I have played golf for the last 2+ years.

I was on 12 of the 1st 14 greens in regulation. Of those 12 greens, I was inside of 15’ on 10 of those greens with 5 of those within 10’ and another 2 were inside of 3’. I bogeyed one of the greens I missed (poor pitch to 10’) and made par on the other missed green with a chip to 2”. 1 birdie from 2’. After 14 holes, I was 1 over par with 2 bogies (1 3 putt from 40feet). Total length of 1st putts made was 2’ 2”. I think I had a total of 4 or 5 1 putt greens in the 4 rounds.

I finished poorly missing the last 4 greens and playing those holes in 6 over (no penalty shots). Par was 71 for a total score of 78. Four the 4 rounds, I hit between 10 and 13 greens every round and made 2 birdies for the whole trip (the other was a 15’ putt). Few if any “good looks” at birdie (inside 15’) were well struck putts that looked that they had a chance. Most were very poor putts that were neither the right speed or even close to the line. It is not unusual for me to miss 3’ (and closer) putts by several inches right or left and even the ones I make are barely going in.

I practice putting on a frequent basis and putt well during practice, but my putting green stroke does not travel with me when I get on the course. On the course, I just seem to be “searching” and will try many “different” things in an attempt to find something that will work during any given round. I have done the “belly, “cross handed”, split grip, etc. etc. with no success or consistency.

Golf has become very frustrating as I hit a number of quality shots in most rounds but cannot seem to convert the rounds into good scores. I have had several rounds at or under par this year and bettered my age twice (68 and 66).

As I live in Northern VA, there are occasional times when weather permits golf during the winter. Not sure if I should just keep plugging away, or just put the clubs away for a few months and wait for spring to start up again. Really don’t want to give it up as at 70 years old, golf is my only real hobby and I play 2 to 3 times to week during the good months.

Thanks for sharing my pain.

Bruce

Burner

New
So you don't putt so good at the moment. What the heck; the rest of the game is holding up and the putting will improve once the greens get better - know what I am saying?

Stick with it, you're to young to walk away.
sport009.gif

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Never quit.

Quitting is for quitters.....:)

Anyhoo, I have never putted better in my life and what I am doing is very different that what you may have tried before, so I guess I'll do a "what I do" putting video.

You HAVE TO TRY....deal?

Lets assume you have 15 years left. Do you want to spend them embittered by scores that many people half your age would be happy to shoot? By all means try to keep improving but remember your golf scores won't mean a damn thing to you or anyone else at the end.

Did you ever consider not keeping score?

Hi Brian (and Happy Birthday by the way) -

Look forward to the video - whatever you show, I will give it a try. It's a DEAL!!

Jim, Burner, Drew - thanks for the comments. I have tried to take the attitude of "who gives a "s--t" - I should be thankful that at my age I am still physically able to at least strike the ball decently, but after awhile, the poor putting really wears on me.

I am still playing 6500 to 6700 yd courses - not quite ready for the "senior" tees just yet.

Bruce

give up golf? surely u jest my friend, or surely you r jesting yourself.

"We are all dogged victims of an inexorable fate". Robert Tyre Jones Jr.

Try side-saddle, perhaps? There was a feature on it in the WSJ a short time ago, and it focused on a few players including Randy Haag who plays at a very high amateur level. He was quoted in the article as being driven to change to this method by a severe case of the yips where he missed more than half of his putts from 3 feet.

His resume: About Me (Player Resume) « Randy Haag's Golf Blog

Here is a video of his method:

Didn't we do this same thread last year? I think you should do the same same thing you did then. Don't quit.

In your putting practice, how much time do you spend practicing your green reading? How do you practice it?

IMO putting practice requires a different mindset than the rest of the game. When you hit a drive, your face angle, path, plane, grip, etc. all have a direct influence on the flight of the ball which accounts for about 99% of the total shot. When you putt, all those things influence the ball... until it starts rolling end over end. Once it starts rolling, it's all down to the speed you gave it and the contour between you and the hole. On a 30 footer, your mechanics account for the flight (about 8"), and your skill for speed and contours account for the other 29'-4".

Hard :),

It is less "not giving a sh*t" and more a process of full involvement in each shot and detachment from the result. Not giving a sh*t seems to violate the first part.

Drew

Drew -

I guess most of the "mental" issue is that almost all of the golf I play is "money" golf and in a "team" format. Either a '4-ball' (better ball of 2 against better ball of another 2) or many variations of that theme. Last week, we had 3 teams of 4 each, playing the 2 best balls on the par 4's and the 3 best balls on par 5's and par 3's - each team playing the other 2 teams - modest amounts - $5 nassau against each team and $2 birdies (all birdies count).

As such, I have gotten away from the individual "medal play" mentality and more of a "go for broke" mentality - yet I will hit many short range putts as if I am afraid of 3 putting (which I am) - even if the hole is already "covered" if I miss.

Strange what goes on in ones mind.

Bruce

ej20

New
Short putts need lots of practice just like other parts of your game.Over practice it till you are better at it.

I watched McIlroy practice just 3 footers for more than half an hour.Stood in the same spot not moving,hit the same putt over and over with his caddy placing the ball for him.Never saw him miss one.

1 spend 1/2 of my putting practice on 3' and less putts, 25% on 8' to 15' and 25% on longer putts. I make a high % of 3' and less putts at practice, but I cannot even seem to remember that stroke on the course - some funny kind of overaccelerated stab or complete decel comes out. The backstroke does not even feel close to the same as at practice. I have 4 putted at least 6 times this year where the 1st putt was 5' or less. I missed numerous putts of 18" or less - never even touching the hole.

Bruce

"How many players do you see seriously practice 3 footers? The answer is none."

Who is that quite supposed to be from? Because, no offense, it's pretty dumb. Tons and tons and tons of people practice 3 footers. It's at the core of Mickelson's game. Practice 3 footers till they're like gimmie's, then practice getting short game shots into that 3 foot radius.

Instead of trying to make putts when you practice them, spend some time trying to hit putts that hit the hole but don't go in. Hit a bunch of 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 footers at the hole and the goal is to hit the hole and go over the top of it or to lip it out (hit the hole but with too much speed). Usually poor putters will make the first few they try to miss because they are so used to babying putts up to the hole that they don't know just how hard they can hit a putt and still get it to drop. It's a lot easier to know how hard is too hard and take a little off than it is to do the opposite. Give it a try, you may be surprised...

I see you said you have tried all sorts of putting styles and grips... Something that has helped me a lot recently as a right eye dominant, right handed player was to switch to a putter with less offset. Before I would have to try and roll the ball along my line by using the line on the ball to line it up, bc if I just walked up and hit it I could miss from 2 feet. Now I can hit putts where I am aiming without lining up the line on the ball which has sped up my pace of play. Something to think about....

Take a 3 month or so Layoff. Get BMANZ video...... Also see if you have left aim or right aim bias......no offense, do golfers really think outside of 6 feet we aim right with the putter?

Ok, I suspect Brian is one of the most flexible teachers out there on putting, he's got like 20 different putting patterns. Make a trip down to NOLA some time this winter and spend 2-3 hours with brian on putting possibilities. Pick his brain. Try some new approaches. The rest of your game is obviously rock solid.

I think brian will give you some worthwhile ideas to try for 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.