"Hang in There";"Layoff for awhile"; or "Just Quit"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is that quite supposed to be from? Because, no offense, it's pretty dumb. Tons and tons and tons of people practice 3 footers. It's at the core of Mickelson's game. Practice 3 footers till they're like gimmie's, then practice getting short game shots into that 3 foot radius.
Penick said that. And he wasn't talking about people on tour or near scratch players. He was talking about golfers in general practicing their strengths rather than their weaknesses. I think the quote is really 4 footers. The most dreaded shot in golf.

Well you have me by 5 years so as a youngster might I suggest:

1. If your putting seems to be an issue, the question is it really your putting or is it where your approach shot is putting the ball? For me at the end of the year my putting numbers went south though I though I was rolling the ball fairly well. Finally after some analyiss (actually a lot) I discovered that my GIRs were not good GIRs. Leaving your first putt above to the left/right of the hole making for a wide breaking putt on fast greens, makes it difficult to 1 putt and heck a lot of times can lead to an easy 3 putt or a chip back on to the putting surface.

2. Are the majority of your putting misses all the same, short, long, low side, high side, etc. That might provide some insight to possible areas of weaknesses.

3. If your performance on the last 4 holes as you described happens quite frequent, you may be running a bit low on fuel and or maybe you fitness level isn't quite up to par.

For me, I practice and play, though I focus less on scoring during the winter and more on improving the golf swing and game.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.