Help-A-Hacker....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Here is my not-so-pretty swing:
7 iron | Wide Divots

My problem is i am inconsistent and miss both ways (pulls and push fades). The good shots are small draws. Distance is ok.

I would be really grateful for any ideas on how to improve!
(I have all of brians videos)

i'd probably say remove some of the twistaway move you have, looks like you get the face quite shut. also the shoulder turn is quite steep, making it harder to reach he TSP. flatten the turn out, which will also move you behind the ball more, and lessen the twistaway and you should be ok.

great swing btw. DTL backswing looks like Arnold Palmer

-you never really get off the leftside
-the club gets too much inside on the backswing and you then have to start the downswing with the shoulders/upper body to get the club out from behind you and which throws the sequence off.

If it was me I would work on getting a little more weight shift on the backswing and keep the club out in front of you more (mid body hands will help)

The downswing sequence should be a bump in the hip to the left and then a hip turn to drop the club in the "slot" you are doing the opposite the club is already to deep and you have to start with the shoulder move instead. Try to emulate Jim Furyk to give you the feeling of having the club more out in front of you and then the hip turn to drop the club in, try to feel the loop, your loop goes the opposite way.....Its late, hopefully this is somewhat understandable.

Thanks a bunch everyone, really appreciate your input!

I will work on getting the club more infront of me and a bit more weightshift, i agree i look stuck in the backswing. I tried a little bit of a flatter shoulder turn in the garage and it felt good so ill try that and go from there when i get to the range.

I am not sure why, but mid body hands (and lct) does not feel natural to me and as you can see i do not have very much wristcock...I am not sure if this is something i should work on or if it is ok to not have these things in my swing?

From what I see, I wonder whether you really need to get your hands so high? Doing so seems to over stress your lower half, so your left knee bends forward a lot, and I think it makes the transition difficult for you in your bump to the left. It also seems like you have stiff wrists as they don't seem to cock/hing as much as they could. I notice you also use your head as your rotating point - perhaps it's worth using your upper back as Brian recommends - that would help in your weight shifts.

I am not sure why, but mid body hands (and lct) does not feel natural to me and as you can see i do not have very much wristcock...I am not sure if this is something i should work on or if it is ok to not have these things in my swing?

If you’re serious about taking your swing to the next level I would start working on mid body hands. You can play with hands forward but it will make things harder on you, I used to be a hands forward guy and it took at least a year to get comfortable with mid body hands. Its a different setup position. You start with a lot of weight on your left side and it is hard to have mid body hands when you do that, try and get your weight more even and not such a straight left leg try to start with the same angle in both legs to evenly distribute the weight.... If your going to stay with hands forward you need to be conscious about getting too much inside on the take away from that position.

Thanks again for replies,
I will keep working on my motion and perhaps post a update when i manage to incorporate some changes (weightshift and mbh+lct).

Curtisj76: No i've not read that article but got a pretty good idea what s&t is about...however I am not trying to adopt s&t or any other specific pattern.

I want to be a good ballstriker with a consistent swing and i really try not to care what the swing looks like.

help a hacker

Thanks a bunch everyone, really appreciate your input!

I will work on getting the club more infront of me and a bit more weightshift, i agree i look stuck in the backswing. I tried a little bit of a flatter shoulder turn in the garage and it felt good so ill try that and go from there when i get to the range.

Hi Lasse.

Looking at your videos, I would suggest the following:

1. Work on getting a little further back from the ball. Seems you are too close.
2. Get your body turn wider so as shoulder gets under your chin .

3. Try to imagine pulling down on a rope to start the club down. This encourages the hands to come down naturally rather than possibly coming over the top.

Really cant see too much else wrong.

Not sure anyone is interested :p but anyways...working on a more dynamic pivot as suggested erlier in this thread:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hSGT13mEZ8&feature=channel[/media]
(dtl and slowmotion in same youtube channel)

I am not sure i got the mid body hands and LCT quite right...but trying to get there.

Not sure anyone is interested :p but anyways...working on a more dynamic pivot as suggested erlier in this thread:

I am not sure i got the mid body hands and LCT quite right...but trying to get there.

Wow! Looks tons better already. Just keep working on mid body hands and lct. Are you hitting it better?

hmm, i like that move. seems clean and simple, but dynamic as well. kinda reminds me of greg "the hat" for some reason.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice, I will keep working on the same things and pray for warm weather...these range-mats are wearing me out :-(

I am hitting it pretty good (at least by my standards), distance is fine. Misses are mainly pulls (i guess i am coming over the top?). Ballflight is very high, but range-mats makes me adjust to hit the ball close to low-point...

Personally, I like the pivot better.

But it seems to me that in this swing, like the first swing, you are getting your head and left side ahead of the ball.

Thus, if you compare the two swings, the first one looked a little bit S&T, and this one looks like you are MOVING your head (first back and then forward).

Try making the pivot you make here, but then STAY BEHIND IT through impact. This will give you more axis tilt, more control over low point, and other good things!

Have struggled with the driver all season long, can not seem to close the clubface enough.
Recently i've experimented with the 10 finger grip with great results, are there any downsides to this grip?

YouTube - driver

I'm a bit worried i'm picking up some bad habits and would appreciate feedback!

When I looked at your earlier videos there was something of a rigid look to your follow through. I think Vsinger mentioned something similar. Now in this latest slow-motion driver swing it just jumps out at me.

I suggest that the problem is in your left hand grip. You have the grip too much in your palm. The heel of your left hand in not on top of the grip. Check your golf glove. Is it worn out in the heel area? Just look at the line of your club and the position of your left hand at address. Or take your grip and see how much of an angle you can generate between your left forearm and the shaft with a flat left wrist. I'm betting you can't get close to 90 degrees.

Look at the end of backswing position. You can't get the club parallel because of your grip. This also explains why you can't simply sling the club through to a relaxed arm follow through.

I think you said you had all the videos. I can't remember which one, but Brian covers the grip in detail. During my lesson with Brian we spent about 30 minutes on grip, and my original grip wasn't all that bad, just too weak.

Lasse,

I see you're working on the LCT, but the shaft or wrists do not have a settling or fall in quality in the change of direction. The shaft doesn't bend all that much, but you have a sweep release, so I don't know how those components mix. LCT and your release that is...Just my observations. Those that have a keen eye I hope will see your move

Status
Not open for further replies.