hitting against a firm left side?? (SUBJECT of a NEW! Manzella YouTube!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

If you hold a club in front of you clubhead up toward the sky and then pivot right and left you will see that the hinge/pivot point that doesn't move right or left is where your hands meet. Using the heel pad/butt end of the club will cause an artifact as it "reverses" as the hands turn over.

-hcw

Just did that hcw and the stationary point on my grip it at the tip of my left thumb (or depending how "long" a thumb you use, the middle knuckle of my left index finger)..everything rotates around that point...

hcw

New
Grip dependent

Just did that hcw and the stationary point on my grip it at the tip of my left thumb (or depending how "long" a thumb you use, the middle knuckle of my left index finger)..everything rotates around that point...

...the exact point depends on your grip, but it is in the area "where the hands meet"...

hcw- Ok, now I see the effect you're talking about. Still, I'm not convinced that is the best estimate of the hinge point since that motion is pure roll and does not consider uncocking but let's go with it for purposes of discussion.

So, if you use that hinge position there's another hinge position added to the mix since that point you're describing cannot be considered rigidly connected to the arm as it can move at different speeds from the end of the arm (wrist).

I guess when I think of hand speed, I've been thinking of the hand being simply the point at the end of the arm. Back to the Nesbit data, I'm still not sure where he measured the hand speed, so we may all be thinking about this differently since we don't have a good definition of the hinge point or what "hand" speed really means.

Jay

hcw

New
hinges and data

hcw- Ok, now I see the effect you're talking about. Still, I'm not convinced that is the best estimate of the hinge point since that motion is pure roll and does not consider uncocking but let's go with it for purposes of discussion.

...it works for cocking/uncocking...start with the clubhead vertical and move it away from and back towards you..

So, if you use that hinge position there's another hinge position added to the mix since that point you're describing cannot be considered rigidly connected to the arm as it can move at different speeds from the end of the arm (wrist).

...not exactly sure what you mean here...but if you are trying to equate it either to the pingman or a computer model, you are right, it is not equivalent as the real golfer is more complex...

I guess when I think of hand speed, I've been thinking of the hand being simply the point at the end of the arm. Back to the Nesbit data, I'm still not sure where he measured the hand speed, so we may all be thinking about this differently since we don't have a good definition of the hinge point or what "hand" speed really means.

Jay

...totally agree...w/o seeing the data and knowing how it was collected, it can be difficult to make useful conclusions...that is why they make you put methods sections in scientific papers...also, scientists are wont to over interpret their data and make broader conclusions than the data warrants...

-hcw

...it works for cocking/uncocking...start with the clubhead vertical and move it away from and back towards you..

Just goes to show..for me when I do it the hinge point is about 1" from the butt.

...not exactly sure what you mean here...but if you are trying to equate it either to the pingman or a computer model, you are right, it is not equivalent as the real golfer is more complex...

Exactly, I was referring to the simplified two-segment model with the hands being considered the middle hinge.

So, maybe it would be safer to say that the arm speed tends to slow down during the release and leave the hands discussion alone since there's more confusion on the definition.

I'm still bugged that the Nesbit article left a lot of those details out - I wonder if there's a more detailed report somewhere (maybe Science of Golf).

I started this thread to get the meaning of a firm left side..My slight lateral movement sometimes gets too much and i lose a lot of balls right..I was so thankful brian made a video..but like any idiot i thought i already knew what the drill was saying without actually trying it and feeling it..I have been so frustrated in the past three games by scoring 4 or 5 strokes higher than i usually do..I was frustrated enough to throw balls and feel my right side go around my firm left side..I also felt my right side go downplane through and around...If i just tried throwing the ball like brian said in the drill earlier..but that would be to easy wouldn't it..better late than never..Next time i know better keep doing the drill until you get the feeling right..=)..awesome drill brian=)

Status
Not open for further replies.