hitting against a firm left side?? (SUBJECT of a NEW! Manzella YouTube!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always heard the advice hit against a firm left side..I really would like to know exactly what they mean by "firm left side"..if i try it..It seems to inhibit my pivot but i may be doing it wrong..

Think you'll find it is the original term for stretching the left side on the down and thro swing...
When your left shoulder raises (throw the drunk etc) and your right side compresses, this gives you a "firm left side."

JeffM

Brian - thanks for the video.

One question. At the very end of the video, you state that one needs to stop the hips. You then state that one must also stop the shoulders. Why should one stop the shoulders during the late downswing/followthrough?

Jeff.

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
Footnote

I figured this one out a while back. The Shoulders stop when they line up with he Hips. That also determines the point when both arms are "straight".

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
The point in the swing when the body stops (firm left side). The arms catch up and pass the body. Wherever the hips stop the shoulders will get to that point and also stop there (momentarily) then after the arms pass they will both continue on their journey.

Would keeping the right foot lower to the ground coming into impact help with snapping the kinetic chain? The low right foot would offer some resistance encouraging all but the extremely flexible to slow or stop their hips near impact.

JeffM

Tom - how can a golfer possibly stop the shoulders temporarily while the left hip is pivoting over a straightening left leg (while the golfer is pivoting his pelvis around a firm left side)? I have never seen the shoulders temporarily stop rotating during the downswing/early followthrough of the full driver golf swing of a PGA tour golfer.

Jeff.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Jeff.

The "Snapping" of the Kinetic Chain is simply a term to describe the SEVERE SLOWING of—first—the hips, then the shoulders, then the arms, then the hands.

It is an established FACT of elite golfers, that every 3-D motion sysytem has confirmed.

I'd like to know the answer to this one too

Does this mean for maximum power the left leg should be straight prior to impact??????

A while ago I asked a similar question and Brian said (jump in here BM) that the front leg typically begins to straighten as your right arm does. However, I'm not sure if that front leg is supposed to be straight or somewhat flexed at impact.

FWIW, it feels a helluva lot more powerful w/ a straight-er front leg then flexed.

Off topic, but...

Brian, you gotta admit Bobby's head is pretty centered here. Hence the looks of lean to the right from the front view. And he still manages to get the right amount of tilt without opening the face. Even with a LCT.

Thanks for the video Brian.

Best drill i've seen for getting left shoulder up and back. I reckon I could whack someone pretty hard with my left shoulder doing that drill.

Us slightly rounder guys get to feel the right side squish more than the skinny ones too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.