Hitting Balls On The Range - Behind The Divot Or In Front?

Status
Not open for further replies.
golf3-1.jpg

I saw this photo in the Straightening Leg Thread and am curious as to whether most golfers hit balls on the range with the divot pattern in front of the ball.

I usually hit balls with the divot behind my ball so I can get the true feeling of hitting the ball and then taking a new fresh divot. I did the former until I saw a clinic on the golf channel where Annika was doing the latter (hitting in front of her divot pattern).

Any thoughts? What do you do?

Personally, when hitting balls on the range, I put the ball at the back of the previous divot (same as the picture in the original post).

I find that when putting the ball on the grass in front of the divot it acts as if the ball is teed up slightly (not a true representation of a level lie, I guess).

Like the picture above.

If you like to set it at the top/front of the old divot, you could be a closet flipper. :)

The golfer in the photo has it correct. That way you will be striking the ball as you would find it in the fairway. Rarely will your ball end up on the edge of a divot. And besides, the pattern of divots that you see in the photo is better for the grass.

back of the divot.

I would actually ask the pro or superintendant, some prefer divots in a straight line, some prefer them to be bunched together, and the guy where i work prefers them scattered, I HAVE NO CLUE WHY.

I always make stright lines, like Vijay, helps with low point, trying to make the line grow longer as slow as possible.

back of the divot.

I would actually ask the pro or superintendant, some prefer divots in a straight line, some prefer them to be bunched together, and the guy where i work prefers them scattered, I HAVE NO CLUE WHY.

I always make stright lines, like Vijay, helps with low point, trying to make the line grow longer as slow as possible.

Perhaps he wants them scattered because it takes much less time for the grass to grow in if the distance across the divot is 3cm or so compared to maybe 20-25cm after a good long session. Don't know...

I prefer the divots to be grouped. I hate walking into a hitting area where the entire area is full of scattered divots. I think it looks terrible and a lot of folks are over the top/steep and this makes it impossible to get into a comfortable stance. I do like the idea of making a line of divots while hitting from the back each time and trying to make the line grow as slow as possible.

i much prefer grouped divots, scattered divots may heal faster but, they sure do use up more room on the range, and we have limited grass. I encourage all of my students to group their divots or at least work off the back of the previous divot.

Current thinking among Superintendents is back of the divot and create strips. No more "box patterns." This allows the roots to move across the strips and fill in faster.

If you're trying to discover where you are making turf contact, simply place another ball 6 inches or so above your practice ball at 90 degrees to your target line. Once your practice ball is gone take a look at your divot in relation to your "marker" ball. Very informative.

I am a super and I box out during my range sessions. say, about 10 wedge divot wide(1 foot or so) and about 20 long (about 2 foot)

scattered patterns actually TAKE LONGER to return to a smooth tee surface

Good point Savy and Needham. Here in Chicago we have bent stands that proliferate through stolons. I arrogantly never considered my brethren down south where bermuda is the surface du jour.

stolons all the same bro

bermuda will actually knit up pretty fast.

I have had monster range sessions and in 10 days cant tell I been there, more or less.

Of course, that being said, I keep the fertility up on the range tee, mow at .350 of an inch and spray primo to keep the grass growing sideways.

yeah I know I spoil my range, but I like hitting balls.... so I do for me more than members, but dont tell them that!! LOL

God bless the super that keeps the turf on the range tight, level and with quick healing.

I find nothing more pleasurable than pealing sweet shallow divots off well manicured practice tees. I have had moments at my own club where instead of playing, I decided to have a long grind session on the practice tee all due to it being pure. Props!

How does the course regulate the divot pattern of the people making the divots? I have never heard that subject brought up anyone at any of the clubs where I was a member.

Status
Not open for further replies.