Hitting it of the toe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toe hits are my big problem as it relates to impact on the face. In one session, I tried settting up closer, farther, ball back, forward. Didn't matter, because it was a swing issue, not a setup issue. I had to feel that my right shoulder was going out toward the ball more, as opposed to down. Probably the reason why I hit draws more solid; when I try to turn it over, my shoulders feel like they turn more level on the downswing. For whatever reason, this gets the sweetspot more out toward the ball, and I hit the ball in the center more frequently.

Get your hands as deep in the backswing as you can. Hit balls on a sidehill lie with the ball well above your feet. If that fixes the toe problem your swing is too vertical because it is coming from too above you, not enough from behind you. Needs to be rounded off. The sidehill is best for that. Also put a tee outside the ball and swing at IT not the ball. Might fix a radius problem.

For students who come to me consistently striking on toe, almost always there is a lack of right arm extention past impact. Short swing drills.......thrust the bent right wrist to a point on the swing plane line about 3' in front of the ball. Works every time.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
For students who come to me consistently striking on toe, almost always there is a lack of right arm extention past impact. Short swing drills.......thrust the bent right wrist to a point on the swing plane line about 3' in front of the ball. Works every time.

I don't understand how this will fix the issue, can you expand?

If the face is closed as it comes into impact, will it strike the toe? Barring any sort of stand up the shaft move to make contact, I mean.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Did you ever get a flipper to hit down more, but have them shank a few in the process? As the clubhead moves down and out longer, there is a tendency for the contact point on the face to move heelward.

Yes but they shank it because they're flippers and their face is wide open and if you get them to hit down they'll lag the hosel. This is why with flippers/slicers you don't fix the path first. So i still don't really understand your statement.

Yes but they shank it because they're flippers and their face is wide open and if you get them to hit down they'll lag the hosel. This is why with flippers/slicers you don't fix the path first. So i still don't really understand your statement.

Its really as simple as realizing that when the ball is impacted on the toe, the hands needed to be further away from the body center at impact. Its not the cause of EVERY players' toe hits. I'm refering to a specific type of player......the guy whose right arm never becomes straight. For better players with good release timing, who suffer from the odd toe hit, simpler adjustments, like getting closer to the ball, will suffice.

Its really as simple as realizing that when the ball is impacted on the toe, the hands needed to be further away from the body center at impact. Its not the cause of EVERY players' toe hits. I'm refering to a specific type of player......the guy whose right arm never becomes straight. For better players with good release timing, who suffer from the odd toe hit, simpler adjustments, like getting closer to the ball, will suffice.

For me, letting the left hand bring the hossel to the inside of the ball and the right palm tracking to the back of the ball positions the toe where it should be at impact. And as Todd says, results in a right hand further from the body center and straightening through the strike. Purest center contact I've ever experienced. And if the back-swing plane is informed by the club loft it is a consistent technique for all clubs. I just might learn to play this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.