Hitting Up With a Driver, or Not....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZAP

New
I think they picked -5 and +5 to illustrate that a significant difference can exist at a given swing speed. That is basically all. It would then be up to the individual to decide. I can tell you that personally I hit it straighter hitting up on it.

The picture showed a driver, but the text did not indicate exactly what club was being talked about

No need to indicate what club it was. A driver and a long tee are necessarily involved if we talk about +5 AoA.

Last edited:
I'd be more concerned with what your vertical launch angle, ball flight landing angle and spin rate are doing. If you're -1* or so with the driver, but those numbers are very good and you're very consistent, then I don't see a reason to change.

Hitting up with the driver can be an advantage, but certainly not always an advantage.

3JACK

Hitting up with the driver can be an advantage, but certainly not always an advantage.

3JACK

This is my only point. Between my own experience and what the guys on TOUR are still doing, it seems reasonable to me to assert that "optimal" doesn't necessarily invlove hitting up all the time.

Side note: I think the data on Bubba Watson shows that he varies his attack angle all the way from down a few degrees to up 5 or so, depending on the shot he's creating. He's probably an extreme example of variance, but it's interesting.

I think what you have to remember is that when they say optimal, they're referring to distance. If you're playing for score, playing with optimal spin/launch numbers may not work for you consistency-wise. I remember Duval several years ago saying that he liked a little more spin than was optimal because it provided him with more control. But as far as optimal for max distance (low spin, high launch), I think that there's little doubt that hitting up opens the door for better numbers.

I think what you have to remember is that when they say optimal, they're referring to distance. If you're playing for score, playing with optimal spin/launch numbers may not work for you consistency-wise. I remember Duval several years ago saying that he liked a little more spin than was optimal because it provided him with more control. But as far as optimal for max distance (low spin, high launch), I think that there's little doubt that hitting up opens the door for better numbers.

Of course. That was never in question. But, people hear the word "optimal," and assume that it'll be best.

I've said it time and time again, a golf instructor and a club fitter may want to see very different things out of a player's driver swing and numbers. How many guys on TOUR are "optimized?" Not many, I'll bet...

Status
Not open for further replies.