Hogan's inspiring Clip

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my round is going bad or I start hitting a few bad ones, I try to remember this swing...
This is my best effort for capturing Hogan's Mystique/image in my mind.
This clip is very inspiring to me, I'm sure all you Manzella's forum members will enjoy this also...

Last edited:
SWEET.

LOL wow! I've never seen footage of him going after it like he did in that first swing.

(or footage this good all in one clip!)

THANKS.

Last edited:
HC...

...as Dan Jenkins has often said..."Hogan is, Hogan was, Hogan always will be." Thanks for posting this. -Dave

WOW. I feel silly for throwing my 8 iron at the cart after duffing my approach shot.

Hogan is the best example of pure will. He's probably the best player with the least amount of talent to play the game.

"Son, the answer's in the dirt." I hear you Ben.... I hear you.

Dariusz J.

Hmm...if Hogan is "the best player with the least amount of talent to play the game" it seems that talent is of no value at all...LOL.

Cheers

Awesome. Poetry in motion. Agree with birdie that first swing, I didn't know he ever went after it like that. Many thanks, Chili!!

Awesome. Poetry in motion. Agree with birdie that first swing, I didn't know he ever went after it like that. Many thanks, Chili!!

Ya really. Anyone who thought he couldn't bust one needs to look at that. Not as long as Snead but you can't say he dinked it.

J

jgust

Hackenit

Hogan looked like a lot of us with the overswing in the "Power Golf Swing" that he used as a young player. Only after improving his swing based on his "Five Lessons" did he find control of the golf ball and success on the tour.
There is a terrific book by John Andrisani, "The Hogan Way" that details the work and effort that Hogan put into his swing changes. Also, for an excellent read try "Hogan" by Curt Sampson.

Talent does what it can, a brain does what it wants...

I think that his power golf swing was the bees knees, and that the 5 lessons pattern is mediocre. Didn't Hogan claim that he hit it better with the power golf pattern? The power golf pattern doesn't relate to any high handicapper that I've ever witnessed polish the ball. BTW there is no such thing as an overswing if you keep your wedges intact.

jeffy

Banned
Talent does what it can, a brain does what it wants...

I think that his power golf swing was the bees knees, and that the 5 lessons pattern is mediocre. Didn't Hogan claim that he hit it better with the power golf pattern?

I've read most of the Hogan biographies, and don't remember that quote. Cary Middlecoff, in his excellent book "The Golf Swing", wrote that in the late '40's, pre-accident, "Power Golf" era, Hogan was one-dimensional: he only hit a fade, except with the driver, which he sometimes sliced. After the accident, Middlecolf wrote that the "Hogan aura" of ballstriking began, and that Hogan relied less on the fade, and more on the shot called for: straight, draw, or fade. I have read a quote by Hogan that the second nine of the third round of the 1967 Masters was the best golf he ever played; that he did not think he came close to missing a shot. To me, that calls into question the "'Power Golf' swing was better" sentiment. If you can source where Hogan said that his pre-accident swing was better, I'd like to see it. I can believe that he might of said that he "played" better pre-accident, because he had a better short-game, or that he had more power. But, better ballstriker, I'm skeptical.

Last edited:

jeffy

Banned
How can I reference a question?

Forgive me: I thought this was a rhetorical question: "Didn't Hogan claim that he hit it better with the power golf pattern?"

If, instead, you meant it as an actual question, my answer is that I have never seen that quote or something similar published.

The stats don't bear it out, either: in '46, '47 and '48, the Power Golf era, Hogan won three of the eight majors he played in, but just one US Open. In 1950, '51, '52 and '53, he won six of the nine majors he played in, including three US Opens, all the while on damaged legs that made walking torture. In the next six majors, he had four second place finishes. Pretty good for a "mediocre pattern".

You can find these stats and some other info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Hogan

rwh

New
Hogan is the best example of pure will. He's probably the best player with the least amount of talent to play the game.

Dave Alford has long said Hogan didn't have any exceptional physical skills and that most of us have the physical requirements to play excellent golf; it's just that we don't know what we're supposed to do.

Dave Alford has long said Hogan didn't have any exceptional physical skills and that most of us have the physical requirements to play excellent golf; it's just that we don't know what we're supposed to do.

I emphatically agree that most healthy adults have the requisite physical attributes to play excellent golf. Unlike Alford, I do not believe that Hogan had the perfect pattern.

Ben hit it straight, cute, so does Morgan Pressel:D

with regards to hogans 'five lesson pattern'. what hogan said and what he did are two very different things. in five lessons there is no mention of cupping the wrists at the top, which we all no he did. he also talks about the backswing and the downswing being two different planes, the downswing being shallower. however, hogan may be the only player to be really succesful with nearly a true one plane golf swing. his backswing is very unlike what he describes in the book. he also doesn't talk about how his right hip moved towards the target in the backswing, then held its position goin through, creating the illusion of a lateral move in the downswing. he said he didnt mention this becasuse he didnt want 'them to know about it', them being the other tour players. the five lesson pattern is a very good pattern. but not one that hogan used to a great amount. he said in the book that it was designed to TEACH OTHER PEOPLE the 'fundamentals' of golf. NOT to tell them about his own swing

Status
Not open for further replies.