How do you make this better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by Redgoat

Brian and others:

I thought it would be interesting to hear different takes on some amateurs swings. Where would you start with this?

Down the Line:
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=35ca5305-40c5-18bf-7f52-a2684fa43e30&size=

Face on:
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=440e6bbe-3881-6419-45cd-713e1dd47d23&size=

Redgoat
Being the least qualified in this group, I'll start. He has a great set-up and a wonderful impact, his hands look very educated, haha. The top of the back swing is a frame shy or he loves Miller Barber. (another joke). The takeaway is kinda long. I love an early wristc0ck, but the kid looks good coming down.

bcoak

New
takeaway is too long and short. weight shift looks iffy as well. Nice setup and drops it down nicely. Follow through looks forced. Looks athletic enough.

EdZ

New
Pretty solid. A a bit inside coming back, left hand a touch strong, closed club and has to stand up a bit to prevent a hook.

Minor grip change, and slightly earlier wrist set (just letting it go, instead of holding it off, how is grip pressure?)

Weight looks a tad back on the heels - needs a touch more forward bend (not much though) - off balance at finish a touch because of the setup balance.

Ball position needs to move a touch forward (the reason the grip needs to be strong in this pic)

All of these are very minor of course..... looks outstanding overall.

At setup he looks very tense. I would try to get it more relaxed. He carries this tension in the backswing. He has taken "one piece" to the extreme. His wrists need to be a little more free. He doesn't look like he gets his wrists fully set at the top. I also think is left arm is too high at the top of his backswing. I like the left arm to lay right across the shoulders (looking down the line). To sum it up, his backswing looks very contrived and unnatural. The downswing looks good, but I am not a fan of the 1970's style finish. I would like him more straight up and down.

Good comments. Ed Z got a lot of it, but I'll add my 2 cents. The reverse C was caused primarily by keeping his head down too long and not swinging to his left soon enough. The head should move with the body, a la Dave Duval or Annika. The hair loss was caused by hereditary issues, and the wardrobe... well, I can't explain that one.

That said, this guy has a really solid action, especially with the new changes. Haven't seen this one before, B. You should show 'em Ben Fox's move. Oh, boy...

southpaw,

I agree completely on the head movement but remain a little sensitive about the hair loss.[V]

I will put up Fox soon.

Redgoat

hue

New
Brady: He does look very tense and wooden. What is his rhythm like? From the picks it looks brittle and harsh .The guy looks like a worker though but with no flow to his motion. I would think that working on his wedge game using rhythm and swing to determine distance would help him develop some feel also hitting the same club different distances with the emphasis on smoothness rhythm and timing. Once he gets better body awarenes I think many of his problems will sort themselves out. A smooth waggle or two before he swings would help also. I get the impression he is a ball beater. keygolf's 32 ball drill and clearkeys would help this guy be more natural and flowing and get him on automatic. His swing reminds me of my old wooden action. I think working on flow might help him with his OTT stiff wristed one piece take away . After working at getting some rhythm and flow that would be the point to have a second look at his swing .

Is (or was) his stock shot a draw?

Transition to impact is pretty much textbook.

He's not "3D enough" going back...but, for a draw guy, not bad at all.

If he gets the club up sooner, it should straighten out a bit.

I like his wrist conditions/clubface relationship in the changed pics. And his finish.

Solid overall.

quote:You should show 'em Ben Fox's move. Oh, boy...
Ditto.

EdZ

New
He's getting steep in the new pics.... borders on disconnected lift of the arms. New finish pic looks much, much better.

Hand position at the top is going to cause manipulation through the ball, inconsistent. He is steep enough that he won't lose it too much when he misses, but get a bit quick and pull hooks are on the way, a few blocks.

Work on the grip, right wrist back position (right palm on the rim).

Agreed that he needs more 'flow'.

Have him feel more of his foot action controling the rock on the string. Same tempo back and through - hit shots 100 yards with 160 club, full motion, pendulum 'feel', club must 'fall'.

Edz, I disagree with you about his new position at the top- looks perfect to me. He's got more wrist set at the top than before. And he's got a strong grip with a little cup at setup, so he should have it at the top. He'll hook it off the planet if he bends his right wrist back and flattens it at the top, because his face will be shut. Then the sliding will get worse because of his closed clubface, and he's back to the original problem of the reverse C at the finish.

And I don't think he looks stiff at all. We're looking at stills, for god's sake. If you see him in motion, I'm quite sure he has a nice, flowing move. He's obviously a low handicap player who's trying to tame an inside-out hook.

EdZ

New
Southpaw - given the current grip, I agree with you - but that grip makes life harder than it has to be IMO, especially for stronger players.

Player info:

He is a low index player at a tough private club in So. California. He has aspirations of playing mid-amateur level golf. He arrived with a deep divoted hook and a very bad back. Long short irons, short long irons, and an erratic driver.

Hue, those were very interesting comments although not in a direction I usually go.

In my opinion, the problems began at set-up with the weight in the heels excessively, wide stance, ultra strong grip, and poor ball position. Once those were addressed, it looked much better.

Ragman, you are correct about the stock shot and the fix of getting the club up quicker. This has been difficult. I also like the new clubface and wrist conditions at the top.

Southpaw, well done!

EdZ, I liked your initial comments but disagree with bending the right wrist back or the dreaded compensations must occur. I may be in the minority but I still think it is possible to play great golf without the left wrist completely flat at the top. Heck, I don't even mind in the right elbow moves away from the body.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback, I really like the exchange of ideas and think this is what is missing in the current climate of golf instruction.

Redgoat

Yeah, I feel the guy's pain, as I have some of the same stuff going on in my swing. Agree with Redgoat about the elbow. I have to feel like my trailing elbow flies just so I can get the club going up steeper. Otherwise, I get too laid off.

dude

New
Brady,

I'm as dumb as a box of rocks so I need your help. All the pictures in this thread is of the same golfer? If so, WOW!

Thanks.

golfingrandy

Status
Not open for further replies.