How Do You Teach or Learn Axis Tilt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guitar Hero

The bottom line is most weekend golfers are not doing it and many have a hard time learning it. I know what I do to teach it but I would like to hear from others how they teach it or how they have learned how to do it.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Axis Tilt

Most folks don't have enough.

Most teachers are scared of it.

Every Tour pro has plenty.

Axis Tilt.

Simply put, it is the away from the target lean of the torso.

More accurately, it is the body's way of putting force and direction into the arms.

You have to have the same amount of OPENNESS just past impact as AXIS TILT (in degrees) or you are Toast.

How do you learn it?

First of all, you need some ability to get the clubface square at impact. Or you have NO CHANCE.

After fixing that, usually with a better swivel and less opening on the backswing, the main thing getting to the left heel through the ball.

Because, if you get your hips LEFT ENOUGH and OPEN ENOUGH to get the weight to the LEFT HEEL post impact, all you have to do to tilt your axis correctly is keep your center (the point between your shoulders) back while you do it, and let your CHEST OPEN up as you move into impact.

That's pretty simple.

Next.

Most folks don't have enough.

Most teachers are scared of it.

Every Tour pro has plenty.

Axis Tilt.

Simply put, it is the away from the target lean of the torso.

More accurately, it is the body's way of putting force and direction into the arms.

You have to have the same amount of OPENNESS just past impact as AXIS TILT (in degrees) or you are Toast.

How do you learn it?

First of all, you need some ability to get the clubface square at impact. Or you have NO CHANCE.

After fixing that, usually with a better swivel and less opening on the backswing, the main thing getting to the left heel through the ball.

Because, if you get your hips LEFT ENOUGH and OPEN ENOUGH to get the weight to the LEFT HEEL post impact, all you have to do to tilt your axis correctly is keep your center (the point between your shoulders) back while you do it, and let your CHEST OPEN up as you move into impact.

That's pretty simple.

Next.

Brian,

Depending on the pattern would I have more or less axis tilt and be more or less rotated?

Thanks,

James

Brian,

How do you get your weight there. I guess my question is...How do you teach someone to get there transition/Pre-impact? Where does the weight go before impact in the transition/downswing and how do you get them there? Do you just tell them where it goes post impact and that fixes some? Or do you just experiment with it until it clicks with the student?

Thanks

KOC

New
Brain,

To perform away target lean of the torso...that is indeed very easy when falks stand straight up.

But once falks get into...Address, waggle waggle, forward press, step into the right foot, hip 45, shoulder 90 turn, nice hands and arm path..to the top;
Now my left shoulder changed direction from pointing the targert to toward the ball, no matter with a flat or rotated shoulder turn.

To perform away target lean of the torso...that pretty simple stuff, of course not you, might stuck here.

Just my cheap HK$2 cents!

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
The main issue for weekend golfers is a poor backswing pivot and an open clubface. When you can't pivot correctly on the backswing and have the face way too open you have no chance.

Maybe you'll do it right ONCE and you will be so frightened by how far right the ball goes you will go back to reverse pivoting and flipping to get the ball to go remotely at the target

ej20

New
Axis tilt is not as simple as just moving the tail bone left and keeping the head back.The trick is to do it and maintain the tushline.Tricky stuff.

If you can do all that,you have the pivot down pat.

ej20

New
Axis tilt is just one aspect of a good downswing pivot.You can do it but still have a faulty pivot.

Maybe I should not say "faulty".Perhaps not the "ideal pivot" is a more apropriate term.

It is still possible to play great golf losing the tushline,albeit less consistent.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Axis tilt is not as simple as just moving the tail bone left and keeping the head back.The trick is to do it and maintain the tushline.Tricky stuff.

If you can do all that,you have the pivot down pat.

Can you read?

This is what I said, and I'll explain it for you in red:

Get your hips LEFT ENOUGH and OPEN ENOUGH to get the weight to the LEFT HEEL LEFT HEEL (that moves the tailbone "southwest" so-to-speak) post impact, all you have to do to tilt your axis correctly is keep your center (the point between your shoulders) back while you do it, and let your CHEST OPEN (Something I call the "Manzella Rule" happens just past impact on almost every swing. The amount in degree of axis tilt EQUALS the amount of ROTATION) up as you move into impact.

ej20

New
Ahh but Brian,the operative word is MAINTAINING the tushline.It's still possible to lose it momentarily on the transition.

Do you think getting the weight on the left heel alone will keep the tush on the line?

The only way to maintain the tushline is to KEEP the tailbone on the line.Simple logic really.

This is all theory of course as even some touring pros lose the line and Brian himself has said it's not really that important.

To "Get your hips LEFT ENOUGH and OPEN ENOUGH and to get the weight to the LEFT HEEL LEFT HEEL" I use Brian's teaching on the relationship of the elbows.

Specifically, focusing on having the right elbow above the left on the takeaway (viewed face on) and then having the right elbow below the left on the downswing. Bringing the right elbow below the left seems to force me to create axis tilt so as to have a place to "bring the right elbow".

Status
Not open for further replies.