How does the clubface square?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggsjpc

New
What's your "stock" pattern? How would you describe the relationship of the clubface to the target line in this pattern (ideally anyway)?

I don't know if I have a pattern. Generally, hit it straight, pull cut or open face push cut. Here's a swing and you tell me. I know my pivot is not that great and it has been my main focus
along with getting rid of my pop out and little stand up move.

dtl

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7fUThPeJW4I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7fUThPeJW4I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

face on

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CkIXiWXguAY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CkIXiWXguAY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Just in my opinion.

I am in agrereement with Kevin and Jim in what they are saying. Though they were obviously short on time for their reply.

Thinking of the clubface alone will always cause problems. don't forget that shaft angle can open and close the face.

Kevin writing about hand path directly relates to shaft angle which relates to what Jim is writing when he speaks of laid off.

If you have a good grip and tend to be a decent player, a overly outward hand path will create underplane shaft, which will tend to open the face. A steeper hand path with more vertical force will steepen the shaft thus closing/squaring the face more.

all decent players have some lag. which is like a car (hands) pulling a trailer(shaft). if the hand path moves to out from top of the swing, lag will work the shaft/clubface under plane.

Trying to square the clubface is folly. When people say to "turn you knuckels down" or "right palm down" they are in effect trying to get you to steepen the shaft (thus squaring the face)at the last second.

Good hand path on the downswing resluts in good plane and square face. That's why the top of the swing position is so overrated.

Lindsey

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Just in my opinion.

I am in agrereement with Kevin and Jim in what they are saying. Though they were obviously short on time for their reply.

Thinking of the clubface alone will always cause problems. don't forget that that shaft angle can open and close the face.

Kevin writing about hand path directly relates to shaft angle which relates to what Jim is writing when he speaks of laid off.

If you have a good grip and tend to be a decent player, a overly outward hand path will create underplane shaft, which will tend to open the face. A steeper hand path with more vertical force will steepen the shaft thus closing/squaring the face more.

all decent players have some lag. which is like a car (hands) pulling a trailer(shaft). if the hand path moves to out from top of the swing, lag will work the shaft/clubface under plane.

Trying to square the clubface is folly. When people say to "turn you knuckels down" or "right palm down" they are in effect trying to get you to steepen the shaft (thus squaring the face)at the last second.

Good hand path on the downswing resluts in good plane and square face. That's why the top of the swing position is so overrated.

Lindsey

Great post.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Because you're under turned, a bit laid off and the face is a bit skyward. You work back under it toward the ball making face control hard.

Because you're under turned, a bit laid off and the face is a bit skyward. You work back under it toward the ball making face control hard.

My swing had morphed into this a little as well. Long story as to how I got there, but I do think Ive fixed it, now its just repetition of the right move. I fixed my issue in the backswing. My thoughts are wide take away with hands inside the clubhead, very important feel and at the top have my right elbow under the shaft more, or pointing at the ground...still with the width. Then on the downswing turn with tilt, left shoulder going behind me. If I don't focus on keeping my center,"centered", Im toast, wipe, block city, especially with the big dog. I find if I try to "control" the clubface, I have no chance at hitting a solid shot, I must relax my arms coming down, or I miss the slot. Just my feels, hope someone gets something out of it.

ggsjpc

New
I thought I wrote this once but maybe I forgot to hit the post button. So, does this mean I need to turn more, lift more and open the face more and try and feel like I'm coming over the top on the way down?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I dont know if id necessarily say that. Just maybe a more core dominated takeaway with the right arm on top of the left early could help

ggsjpc

New
I dont know if id necessarily say that. Just maybe a more core dominated takeaway with the right arm on top of the left early could help

Yea, I agree. I haven't been able to fh-20 myself but I feel like when I do a little "twistaway", I pop out even more but I haven't video'd it to see. I'll keep workin like everyone here.

John,

Nice move! There are several elements of your swing I like. You're definitely gettin' on that right foot on the backswing and you don't have a problem producing lag.

If anything, I'd like to see you make a steeper shoulder turn. Let that left should work more under than around. "Right arm higher than left" as Kev pointed out is good. Maybe a little more flex in that right knee to tighten the pivot (for some reason I make a steeper turn w/ more flex).

Hopefully that'll get you more on top of the plane.

ggsjpc

New
Hit some today with some success but for different reasons than mentioned here. Thanks for help, I'll post new video sometime in the future.

ggsjpc

New
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dzD1jRJkVPA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dzD1jRJkVPA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My main thought that has been working and I don't think is in this video is feeling like my bent right wrist stays bent while it rotates at the ball. This swing seems way to narrow but that's a whole other story.

ps starts at 1:15

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.