How To - Crack The Whip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbl

New
Or...snapping the chain...or whatever.

It seems in the downswing you can get your core and you arms moving, and then near impact....what? You brake the hips, or maybe brake the hands...so that the clubhead whips forward past the hands?

Do the wrists buckle so that past the ball the hands look like there was a flip? Birly-Shirly had some comments that the left wrist rotates so the toes closes over. Great!

But what does one do besides drive the hands toward the ball? Stop the hands suddenly?

I'm going to hop over to a place with a Flightscope and try a few things.

WHAT SHOULD I TRY?

S

SteveT

Make sure your golf shafts are flexible enough so the shaft tips can 'droop' for your particular swing speed.

Whip the droop ..:D

Last edited:
Remember the swing has a flow to it, impossible to tell yourself to break to create lag time in and time out for effective golf shots. My thought of a downswing is a plane landing on a aircraft carrier (having it grab the cable of course). Im not a training aid person, Martin Chuck has it right. Different sound in my shots now.

S

SteveT

@ dbl ... If you consciously try to do something to 'snap the whip', you will most likely upset your swing sequencing and that will mess things up.

If you are testing yourself on a Flightscope, why don't you try swinging a club with a more flexible shaft to see what happens ... you might be surprised and even feeel a whipsnapping..!!!

It seems in the downswing you can get your core and you arms moving, and then near impact....what? You brake the hips, or maybe brake the hands...so that the clubhead whips forward past the hands?

my two cents-
If you prepare early enough for the snap you should be able to notice some changes.
You may want to expirement at practice swing speed at first.
Slow or stop the hips - maybe just slow them down
Speed up the unbending right arm or just unbend it on purpose

I have tried these things on the range without the aid of Trackman or Flightscope
and I did notice different things (feels) especially with a driver.

Matt

S

SteveT

On the other hand, you may have no pronounced 'whipsnap' to your golfswing because of your downswing shaft loading profile per TT ShaftLab definitions.

dbl

New
Alright I'll try some different shafts! And I'll try braking hips, braking hands, and also changing right elbow action.

I'll try landing the hands like on an aircraft carrier.

Anything else?

dbl

New
I checked the other threads, especially John graham's review. Bad spin stuff but should be okay for club and ball speed.

Chi Chi used to turn his left heel outward (pigeon toed) then turn as hard as he wanted. When I have done this it's a bit erratic but I can certainly feel a the kinetic chain being stopped.

S

SteveT

Chi Chi used to turn his left heel outward (pigeon toed) then turn as hard as he wanted. When I have done this it's a bit erratic but I can certainly feel a the kinetic chain being stopped.

Now if you could stop your shoulder rotation in the split microsecond before Impact and then you would unload all that kinetic energy into the club ... ya think ??

At a local fair the other night there was the sledge-hammer bell ring game. Naturally, I had to try it to win a prize for my girlfriend. I'd never done it before so I did a slow rehearsal before I gave it a wallop.
I harnessed all the physical forces I could conjure before my right triceps applied the thrust that made it go DING!
My goal was to strike right through and NOT stop. I know, not golf, but in the same world.
If you watch Hogan, you won't see any effort to put on the brakes. For every person who pivots too fast and strong...never mind, just pivot waaayyy along into your finish.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Billy I hoped you have moved on from that desperate So. Cal Housewife!!! I also sincerely hope you have updated your wardrobe a bit.

The clash t-shirt and blazer combo saddened me.

Lol! You missed the irony of The Clash. And don't believe everything you see on tv. Thanks for the fashion advice though. And I have been with my young lady friend who is 29 for over 2 years now.

I harnessed all the physical forces I could conjure before my right triceps applied the thrust that made it go DING!

Bill,

Right Tricep thrusting seems counter to your golf motion or at least your presentation of your DVD's as well as those of Gregg McHatton's or am I missing something?

Bill,

Right Tricep thrusting seems counter to your golf motion or at least your presentation of your DVD's as well as those of Gregg McHatton's or am I missing something?

When we were teaching TGM schools in the '90s, we had to de-program some literalists and let them know that EVERY golfer is a blend and uses the triceps, too. We might say "actuated", but SWIT happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.