How to improve this +2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like the see the right forearm more inline with shaft at impact. Maybe get him to do some tracing drills using flashlights/lasers.

Is his bad shot a pull?

Shaft looks too up and down in first move down from the top, ie. butt of the club is pointing inside the ball, he then recovers in the next frame. Again tracing with flashlights and maybe work on a plane board would help

I think more hip turn and continue the right shoulder down plane will help him maintain more lag. This way he will not have to extend his right arm so early to reach the ball. In other words, work on the pivot.

Mathew

Banned
First thing I would get them to do is posture and address in general - The ball position looks a lil far back. I think some pivot exercises would help him because it looks good but has room for improvement. He has some similar problems to me after impact, being too cramped and not extending mainly because he didn't come in shallow enough to begin with and has 'some' lack of lag. I think the drill of putting your right foot back to feel more inside comming down could help him....

swing is maybe a little too long, the shift to another plane from top makes a more vertical down stroke but he recups very well, if you look at rightforearm close to pointing at targetline halfway down...he would see this in a second on planeboard...his setup is also quite narrow...feet should be at shoulder width in my opinion....very nice swing...as Ensikat stated, right forearm and shaft should be inline...now what surprises me is that someone who has a more vertical plane than at setup coming down, how he gets right forearm inside targetline at impact...i come back more vertical like him but have it pointing outside targetline and must uncock to strike ball...if he did this he'd miss ball or hit fat or on toe...

I know you prefer that your better players hit cuts, but his shaft (clubhead) still doesn't quite drop enough during the transition, IMO.

This, along with his ball position, makes him have to move his legs slightly too far laterally (even with the camera angle to shallow out his swing path. The club comes out of his left shoulder steep as well.

Maybe try to get the left arm slightly lower and the shaft more laid off at the top...

Actually looks like a legitimate +2...

Rather than a "fix", I would suggest an optimization. In frame 5, the shaft should be at horizontal, or above, for max accumulator #2 lag.

Mathew

Banned
quote:Originally posted by Curtis

Why isn't he on tour Brady?

Oh come on.... he has a pretty good swing but nowhere in the class of a tour player....maybe he could become that good in time if he was dedicated over the next 2 years - you just never know but its not a tour caliber swing.

Would an increase angle to posture help him flatten out back swing, and either eliminate need or help him drop/shift back down to elbow plane on downswing---then shaft would cover right forearm......as dunigan would say: "you dont come over the top on a golf shot--you are always over the top and you have to do something to get back down to the org. shaft/elbow plane

"Oh come on.... he has a pretty good swing but nowhere in the class of a tour player....maybe he could become that good in time if he was dedicated over the next 2 years - you just never know but its not a tour caliber swing."

How can you possibly tell that from those pictures? If you were to look at stills of Daly, Furyk, Thorpe, Hubert Green, Allan Doyle, Tom Lehman (I think you get my point), you would be saying the same thing. Any +2 has a good enough swing to play on Tour. The swing isn't where the other strokes are.

Mathew

Banned
quote:Originally posted by mgjordan

"Oh come on.... he has a pretty good swing but nowhere in the class of a tour player....maybe he could become that good in time if he was dedicated over the next 2 years - you just never know but its not a tour caliber swing."

How can you possibly tell that from those pictures? If you were to look at stills of Daly, Furyk, Thorpe, Hubert Green, Allan Doyle, Tom Lehman (I think you get my point), you would be saying the same thing. Any +2 has a good enough swing to play on Tour. The swing isn't where the other strokes are.

When you get better you will understand too...

His impact (and the motion through it) isn't good enough.... all of those players have better impact conditions regardless of the rest of their stroke.... its simple...

Believe it or not, seems like his downswing geometry exactly resembles that of Ernie Els. I don't see anyone harping on Els's swing (although I do think it is overrated - looks better on video than in pics).

Mathew: You feel a persons swing is the major factor in getting on tour? I disagree, I think the difference between a scratch marker and tour player swing wise is often not that different. Tour players tend to have much better short games and are great putters.

My last, and only, attempt to critique a swing here was not "right on" but will try again.

What I think I see is:

Ball is too far back.

He is too "over the ball" at address.(maybe weight too much on forward foot)

He stands up a little on the backswing.

Approaches a reverse shift.

He could have more lag.

I think I would like to see:

Ball a little more forward.

A little tilt away from ball at address.

Question:( perhaps for him) Is he trying too hard to stay over, maintaining eye contact, with the ball? He seems to try to hard, almost freezing head, zero lateral movement going back.

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by wally888

My last, and only, attempt to critique a swing here was not "right on" but will try again.

What I think I see is:

Ball is too far back.

He is too "over the ball" at address.(maybe weight too much on forward foot)

He stands up a little on the backswing.

Approaches a reverse shift.

He could have more lag.

I think I would like to see:

Ball a little more forward.

A little tilt away from ball at address.

Question:( perhaps for him) Is he trying too hard to stay over, maintaining eye contact, with the ball? He seems to try to hard, almost freezing head, zero lateral movement going back.
I agree.Needs more right side bend at address as shown by the majority of tour pros.

As for ball position,it would depend whether he was trying to hit a high or low ball.

Saw this late, but if the guy is a +2, he obviously knows how to play! There are so many intangibles that come into play when it comes to scoring that you would have to hesitate in recommending anything that might muck up what is working. That being said, the subject IS off plane (too steep), but must manage to make compensations that enable him to control is shots. I would predict that, given his plane angles coupled with his hinge motion, that he fights too much draw. His rearward ball position aids in keeping the shots online. Many, many wonderful players have discovered the compensations that make their "less than perfect alignments" perfect for them.

EC

I must say that I agree with many of your posts.

These pictures were taken over a year ago when this student was a good player at a fairly easy local course.

His ball striking wasn't his strength, especially with the driver, and he was looking for a total change to see if he could hit it good enough to play professionally.

I particularly agreed with the comments regarding the steepness of the downswing. Ragman, I agree that he must slide his hips laterally to give the club time to get shallow enough. This is death with the driver.

Here are some clips of him trying to take the changes to the extreme.
http://redgoat.smugmug.com/gallery/104365/1/3743829

These are his current clips, and represent the most consistent swing under the pressure of competition.
http://redgoat.smugmug.com/gallery/104365/1/3743827

It is still a work in progress but the swing is getting more consistent and playable.

Redgoat

Status
Not open for further replies.