How to increase distance for this wimpy junior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't worry about the backswing. I just mentioned that *if* down the road she has some accuracy and consistency issues. Her downswing is really, really good. Actually, I'm quite envious as she is able to do some things that I'm working on, but making a very slow progress at doing.

It's like Kenny Perry. His backswing comes well across the line. If he had an uncontrollable hook for a long period of time, he would probably need to figure out how to curb that backswing. But since he doesn't, I'd leave it alone.

3JACK

"I'm working on, but making a very slow progress at doing."

richie, lose 50 lbs of muscles and you will be able to do it:)

First off, she has a great swing. Congrats on some good work there. My personal opinion on more distance for your daughter has nothing to do with the swing. I think that most junior girls don't have a concept of hitting something hard. I figured this out watching my stepson at karate. At ages 6-10 (approx) the girls and boys have basically the same muscle mass, and some of the girls are bigger than the boys.

But when it comes to breaking boards and whatnot, the girls don't stack up. Why? They don't play fight with their friends like boys. They don't wrestle around with dad like boys. They don't have a concept of "explosion" in the sports sense of the word like the boys. "Hard" isn't really in their vocabulary. Ask a junior girl to hit your palm with her fist and then ask her to do it hard, and there usually isn't much difference. Ask a boy and watch his face contort as he strains and uses every muscle he can think of to hit the heck out of your hand.

Sorry for the ramble, but I have been thinking about this for a while. Let her grow into her swing. It'd be a shame to mess with such a beautiful swing. But if she wants to hit it farther, get her into something, another sport or whatever, that will help her understand the difference between doing something, and doing it with "explosion."

Just my two cents, of course.

kevin, she has not been on one of those newer machines of late so i don't have any hard data. to see you guys reading over trackman data like doctors reading over EKGs is simply awesome.

she can usually put the ball in the middle of the fairway, straight. over couple rounds, she may have one or two rolling into the edge of the rough because of fairway contour or if she doesn't know the set-up ahead of time.

on the other hand, i see some of the players that she plays with would set up aggressively for a hard draw and really crank up and get the ball rolling. often not in the fairway, but so much closer to the green. the live gloriously or die approach.

her personality is such that she does not like to play that way. too scary for her, haha. so she needs to learn to approach the green with her 3 wood when others use short irons:) the lets be nice and play nice approach.

i am going to cook her 10 eggs every morning to see if that makes a difference. just kidding.

duck,,, that is a great observation, so true.

Last edited:
actually it won't make a difference because she will eat half an egg and leave the nine and half on the table for the starving children of the world and dart off to the school bus,,,:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.