I need putting help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteveT

I have an old Wilson George Low blade that I used to use. I would hit that on the heel too and miss left. I used to miss the sweetspot so much that I started lining up every putt on the toe and hitting off the toe just to have some consistency. I did ok with that as well, but not great.

I have tried the wrist stroke before. I didnt really give it a chance for very long. But thats the stroke they used to use on the old substandard greens, and I play on slow greens as well.

Hold your putter handle with a firmer grip because it sounds like the putter is wobbling around too much in your hands. Putt with gloves on both hands and squeeze the damned grip .. because your 'touch' will come from your body or shoulder rotation and not your still hands ...!!!!

Even putting guru Geoff Mangum urges men to hold the damn putter more firmly and not like limp wristed puffs ...!!!!:D

Dan is a Dipstick ...:mad:

natep

New
I'm checking out Geoff's site now.

I usually putt with a grip pressure of 1.5 on a scale from 1 to 10. :eek:

S

SteveT

I'm checking out Geoff's site now.

I usually putt with a grip pressure of 1.5 on a scale from 1 to 10. :eek:

Grip it a lot tighter ... about masturbation pressure ... :eek:

Dan is a Doofus ...:mad:

Yeah Nate,

Think about what Steve and I have said here, then forget everything that Steve said and your remaining thoughts will have you on your way to improving your putting. Steve is what I call a dodo bird. Simply put, a bird that can't fly. Start with a grip pressure of 3/10. Much to be learned in the books and links above. Not much to be learned by dodo bird and me here shooting the shet:)

-Dan

Last edited:

natep

New
Yes there is much info there. I had no idea how much I didnt know about putting.

Honestly, I was never interested enough to learn about it.

But now that I'm playing good this is really keeping me down.

Thanks !

S

SteveT

natep .... I advocate an overloading of your putting stroke mechanics in practice for control ..... and when you are playing a round, you can loosen up because you will have the confidence in your putting mechanics.

Putting is not athletic, it's all about control and touch ... and you must decide if you want to control it with your body or your wrists. Pussyfooting about with a putting stroke is tantamount to abdicating control. Everybody has a different control threshold and you must drop down to it to achieve 'touch'. Believe me.

Dan is a Dupe ... :mad:

S

SteveT

Now you reveal yourself as an equipment gearhead ... slobbering over a custom-milled sculpture to your liking ... and costing a fortune because of inefficient production costs.

You know that all the ball feels is the putter face and stroke path ... and the CofG to resolve impact forces. All that machining and magic mounds of metal behind the putter face are insignificant if not useless .. even if you hit off-center.

You must feeeel proud and accomplished with your new ego-toy ... :D

$77 for an e-book with no mention of who wrote it??

You must be out of your ******* mind.

Also, using the title "Putting To Win", is the same as Dave Stockton's famous book (and dvd) on putting.

I call BS on this one. SPAM/SCAM/ETC....

-Dan

So SteveT, do actually have the two new Titleist 910 Drivers you mentioned a few days
ago, or was that one of your fabrications? Yes, or No will do.

Definitely check your grip pressure for problems with the face wobbling in the stroke. I have been using the gravity stroke which starts with a push of the left shoulder. I developed a tendency to walk the handle at the start. Some added grip pressure allowed me to let the head lead the backstroke.

Definitely give Geoff's book a read. Good stuff.

I like eyes directly over the ball. Missing puts left consistantly leads me to believe it could be an aim/alignment issue. I see it alot with guys I play with doing the same thing. They line their putts up pretty well from behind the ball then when they address it they see a completely different line. Move their eyes over the ball then magically they see the same line.

Second putting is the one aspect of golf you can practice just about any where any time. The real leap I made in putting came from putting in my office at 10 feet. Starting with trying to make 5 in a row, then 10, then 20. Really did wonders for my speed control and ability to start the put right on my intended line.

I like eyes directly over the ball.

That is a tricky one man and the source of much debate. While I personally favor eyes over the ball (more or less), most modern teaching suggest the average player would benefit from an eye position 1-2" inside the ball. There are many factors to influence this to include eye dominance, left/right handedness, stance, putter length/lie, SBST or arc stroke, etc..

Also, something most folks don't consider is which eye (left or right) to put over the ball as opposed to the common suggestion of putting the center of the eyes (bridge of nose) over the ball. This is a very multifaceted problem and there is no doubt that many of us are not aiming as well as we should due to not positioning our eyes over (or near) the ball in the proper fashion for ourselves.

Then of course all this is of little value if we don't stroke the ball correctly. Take someone that doesn't aim or stroke properly and you are really pissing in the wind. To make a 20 foot put is literally luck for that person. The two books I mentioned earlier offer much insight into these short comings if anyone is interested.

-Dan

Last edited:
As to grip pressure, I heard an interview Mangum where he talked about this very
specifically. He emphasized the need to be able to control the club. He said that
left thumb pressure was key. Said it should be on top of the grip and about a three
on the 1 to 10 scale.

I tried that mod a few weeks ago and it screwed up my distance control. Just the
slightest increase in tension versus my normal grip really messes with the stroke.
I think he is correct, need more practice with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.