I need putting help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a tricky one man and the source of much debate. While I personally favor eyes over the ball (more or less), most modern teaching suggest the average player would benefit from an eye position 1-2" inside the ball. There are many factors to influence this to include eye dominance, left/right handedness, stance, putter length/lie, SBST or arc stroke, etc..

Also, something most folks don't consider is which eye (left or right) to put over the ball as opposed to the common suggestion of putting the center of the eyes (bridge of nose) over the ball. This is a very multifaceted problem and there is no doubt that many of us are not aiming as well as we should due to not positioning our eyes over (or near) the ball in the proper fashion for ourselves.

Then of course all this is of little value if we don't stroke the ball correctly. Take someone that doesn't aim or stroke properly and you are really pissing in the wind. To make a 20 foot put is literally luck for that person. The two books I mentioned earlier offer much insight into these short comings if anyone is interested.

-Dan

I agree completely. Why I stated "I" like eyes over the ball. When actually it's my left eye that's over the ball. But I started with a centered nose over the ball. I agree that if the persons stroke is off that making a 20 footer is a shot in the dark but I found that by addressing my aim and alignment I could better judge where I was going wrong with my stroke.

By having a good pre-shot putt routine and addressing the putt exactly the same every time I took aim/alignment completely out of the equation. Banging 10 footers for hours helped me find "my" stroke.

Sadly, most folks don't put as much thought into putting as you do.

Yet it is the source of some 40% of strokes in golf.

:confused:

-Dan

Some people say hitting that perfect drive smashed down the middle is the best feeling in golf. For me sinking that double breaking 40 footer and knowing half way there it's made is the best feeling in golf.

dlam

New
I'm starting to believe eye line is important in putting.

The problem with myself is I dont have a dominant eye.
I went to the optometrist to check which is my dominant eye.
Whenever I do that circle test........make a circle with the forefinger and thumb and hold it out in front of you put a distance object like a light switch on the wall in that circle.....then close one right eye and keep left eye open.....then close left eye and keep right eye open......whichever eye you see that light switch in the circle made from the forefinger and thumb is your dominant eye........
Problem is that I my eye "domination" changes depending if I use my right hand to make that circle or my left hand to make that circle.
the optometrist found that odd....

i think that is what causing me to be really misalign for my short putts.
I need help..

i think that is what causing me to be really misalign for my short putts.
I need help..

Have you ever tried calibrating your aimline? I discovered the following alignment calibration procedure in Farnsworth's Putting Prescription book. Setup one of those elevated aimlines (string and two sticks). Mark your ball with a straight line you can use to lineup with the aimline. Setup your aimline for a 3, 4, or 5 foot putt. Put one stick in the ground behind the cup and one about 12-15 inches behind your ball. Make sure you dissect the hole in half with the string. Now lineup your ball (using the line you drew on it) with the aimline. Take the aimline down. Now squat down and position the ball between your eyes. Check the alignment of line on your ball to the hole with both eyes open, then your left eye closed/right open, then your right eye closed/left open. Which one of those three scenarios allows you to see the line on your ball straight into the cup? If none of those do, then try the three scenarios with your right eye positioned in line with the ball. Still not getting it? Try the three scenarios with your left eye positioned in line with the ball.

I am left eye dominant and the optimum alignment position for me is ball centered between my eyes, left eye open/right closed. Good luck.

joep

New
Nate try this it worked for me after being confused as you were. Take the club in your right hand and make putts using only your right hand using your forearm. Now add your left hand to the club. Make putts using only your right forearm as a pendulum back and through it mite work for you as it did me..hope it helps

bcoak

New
Try the Snedeker and Badds routing. Just see it and go. Do not wait over it. React like it is a target - even look at the hole like free throw shooting. Get away from the "stroke" and more on the target or even the routine.

Try the Snedeker and Badds routing. Just see it and go. Do not wait over it. React like it is a target - even look at the hole like free throw shooting. Get away from the "stroke" and more on the target or even the routine.

Anothony Kim putts similarly too. I think it gives you less time to think too much about the outcome. The ball is already rolling before you have the chance to worry about missing it.

I definitely putt better that way. The longer I stand over it the more like I am to second guess my line or the direction the face is aimed.

How many of you use a line on the ball to line up putts? Putting has always been a big weakness, particularly, 10 foot and in. Lately, based on another players advice, I use a line on the ball and get behind the ball and low to the ground lining up the line at my target. Then when I get ready to putt, all the alignment work has been done. I lineup the alightment aid on the putter with the ball on the line and fire away.

Thanks to all for sharing there ideas here.@natep, i think videos are much helpful for you as 'spktho' share a video. because practically is much helpful rather then theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.