Ideas for getting laid off at the top?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I get what you're saying.

You worked on this with Brian, right? Did he give you some other swing thoughts for accomplishing it (he usually has a bunch)?

I worked on this with Brian, but it was a bit of too much laid off for me. I had a hard time squaring long clubs. I actually started to pull my longer clubs.

I find that if you turn your body and opening the club face / your left forearm at the same pace with your body, you will not only find your arms to be in the right place at the top, you will use your body to govern your arm swing. What's cool about this is that it just works. Pointing the butt of the club to the ball on the way back or feeling like certain position at the top does not work for me. It's kinda like throwing a foot ball, there are certain techniques to it, but you wouldn't try to put your hands and arm in a certain position. Same with golf, the body should take where your arms go, instead of manipulating your hands and arm into a certain place. THe ball is already small enough, not to mention the small club face...i could go on

but like I said, everybody's different, some people might need to rotate their arms faster on the way back, some people might need to have less rotation...

I wish i had more time with Brian, it was like a cramming session for the SAT test.

you know what i mean? haha

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Yeah, the problem with that is I don't get to parallel when I pose a backswing. Is there a checkpoint that can be used for a swing that is short of parallel?

Not that I know of because not everyone lays it off the same way. Fadlo/Price/Els went from steep halway back to laid off at the top whereas a player like Ray Floyd laid it down early then just lifted his arms. Tough change as Im sure a lot will attest if you dont lay it off naturally. Id start by making sure you are "clubhead aware" 100% and get your mind completely off the handle. Across the liners love to yank on that handle then lose where the head is.

Well, after considering dariusz and jenhaoyen's comments and doing a little experimenting, I think it may actually be difficult to overdo if I get both the pivot and the hands deep enough.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

A not so subtle way of saying you didnt like what I had to say:)

Haha. No. I appreciate the advice as always Kevin. I was tired and tried to sum up everything in one post.

I was actually a little confused by your post and what you meant by "clubhead aware." Were you talking about the takeaway when you said across the liners yank on the handle?

As far as what I do naturally, I wasn't really across the line until I started actually working on it a couple of years ago when the soft draw pattern came out. My "original" swing before any instruction was more Floyd-ish and ended up pretty much on the line, but I was told it was "inside" and "flat" and needed to change, and that started a long list of changes.

sometimes we forget to really focus the right problem.

If you are lifiting your arms excessively and across the line, it's probably not your left arm that's doing the work.

Most likely your right arm. maybe turning your right shoulder socket clock wise would fix it.

Yeah, the problem with that is I don't get to parallel when I pose a backswing. Is there a checkpoint that can be used for a swing that is short of parallel?

I doubt there is really a check point unless you are like a robot.

Look at John Daly, his natural swing, how would he check ?

Most of the time our 3/4 and 1/2 swing is fine and we can easily swing the club that way.

The problem is that when we get to the top.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, everybody has a different swing, you can't really use somebody else' check point as your reference, unless you guys have the very same swing (like twins)

Everytime I have problems with my swing at the golf course, i just start to swing back and forth back and forth and find my back swing again. It's ridiculously how awesome this drill is.

Status
Not open for further replies.