Impact Bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Experience.

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." —Mark Twain

Folks who frequent this forum need to know something very important:

I never criticize something unless I have tried it, and threw it on the scrap heap of bad ideas.

I used to use an impact bag.

I stopped over 10 years ago.

It guarantees nothing.

I could teach a monkey to hit an impact bag like Bubba Watson, but with a ball, total junk.

I learned about ROOT CAUSE.

I wouldn't call them junk, but using them to teach impact is worse than useless.

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." —Mark Twain

I never criticize something unless I have tried it, and threw it on the scrap heap of bad ideas.

It guarantees nothing.

I could teach a monkey to hit an impact bag like Bubba Watson, but with a ball, total junk.

I wouldn't call them junk, but using them to teach impact is worse than useless.
this is true story. I can bang pretty well into the impact bag a year ago, and it didn't make any of my swing better. I would just throw that club down with no idea what the hell i was doing. Thanks to you BMAN, now I can swing the club so freely. I almost feel like I'm not doing anything. As simple as let the club do it's own job and pivot correctly. It's so simple. Why did I not come here earlier. Man, wasted all that time on the driving range with instructors that have no idea what they are doing. I went back to my instructor and I told him some of the stuff that I learned and showed him that I improve my swing drastically. The only thing he said to me was, Yeah, that's what I've been teaching you, but you never got it. I couldn't believe that he said that.
:D

Brian Manzella

Administrator
this is true story. I can bang pretty well into the impact bag a year ago, and it didn't make any of my swing better. I would just throw that club down with no idea what the hell i was doing. Thanks to you BMAN, now I can swing the club so freely. I almost feel like I'm not doing anything. As simple as let the club do it's own job and pivot correctly. It's so simple. Why did I not come here earlier. Man, wasted all that time on the driving range with instructors that have no idea what they are doing. I went back to my instructor and I told him some of the stuff that I learned and showed him that I improve my swing drastically. The only thing he said to me was, Yeah, that's what I've been teaching you, but you never got it. I couldn't believe that he said that.
:D

EVERYBODY knows what it looks like.:D

i used an impact bag for a while a couple of years ago. i could smack the heck out of that thing. never did anything for my swing though.
to me, it's the same as a "basic motion" type drill. sure, i can hit a chip shot without flipping, but what does that have to do with my full swing?

It guarantees nothing.

Enlighten as to the root cause Brian!!

Brian Manzella

Administrator
i used an impact bag for a while a couple of years ago. i could smack the heck out of that thing. never did anything for my swing though.
to me, it's the same as a "basic motion" type drill. sure, i can hit a chip shot without flipping, but what does that have to do with my full swing?

Believe it or, in most cases, very little.

Guitar Hero

Impact bags are Bogus

It guarantees nothing.

Brian, You hit the nail on the head with this post.

Impact bags are Bogus.

Golfers just like to hear the sound when hitting them. It sounds powerful.

The feel of good impact is not even close to the feel of an impact bag.

Bronco Billy

I Can Hear the Sound of One Hand Clapping......

Brian, You hit the nail on the head with this post.

Impact bags are Bogus.

Golfers just like to hear the sound when hitting them. It sounds powerful.

The feel of good impact is not even close to the feel of an impact bag.

Enlighten as to the root cause Brian!!

If I had to guess, the root cause (the majority of the time) is improper pivot.

I like impact bags, but they don't teach you how to have the proper pivot at impact so what happens is you can keep that flat left wrist with the impact bag because as Brian said you can teach a monkey to do that, but when you go to hit a real ball it doesn't work because you didn't have the proper pivot.

3JACK

Brian Manzella

Administrator
???

If I had to guess, the root cause (the majority of the time) is improper pivot.

I like impact bags, but they don't teach you how to have the proper pivot at impact so what happens is you can keep that flat left wrist with the impact bag because as Brian said you can teach a monkey to do that, but when you go to hit a real ball it doesn't work because you didn't have the proper pivot.

Just curious Richie,

Which Pivot do you like:

A. Stack & Tilt (Lean left on the backswing, keeping most of the weight the left foot with a steep shoulder turn, then use the front middle of the body to "hump" a spot somewhere between the ball and 45° to the left oft he ball from the golfer's view.)

B. Tripod (With your head precisely between the feet at address and at least until the follow-through, the rest of the body "waits at address" for the motion of the arms and hands to be pulled to the top, and from the top, with a very slight hip slide for axis tilt)

C. Manzella Dynamic (step on your right foot very early and then rotate around the point between the shoulder sockets against the right leg angle that helps create a fall to the left foot, followed by a near one to one—in degrees—unwind and axis tilt, leading up to the snapping of the kinetic chain, and having the arms pull the body out of the follow-through.)

Guitar Hero

Just curious Richie,

Which Pivot do you like:

A. Stack & Tilt (Lean left on the backswing, keeping most of the weight the left foot with a steep shoulder turn, then use the front middle of the body to "hump" a spot somewhere between the ball and 45° to the left oft he ball from the golfer's view.)

B. Tripod (With your head precisely between the feet at address and at least until the follow-through, the rest of the body "waits at address" for the motion of the arms and hands to be pulled to the top, and from the top, with a very slight hip slide for axis tilt)

C. Manzella Dynamic (step on your right foot very early and then rotate around the point between the shoulder sockets against the right leg angle that helps create a fall to the left foot, followed by a near one to one—in degrees—unwind and axis tilt, leading up to the snapping of the kinetic chain, and having the arms pull the body out of the follow-through.)

Stack & Tilt and Tripod are as bad as keep your head down and have a straight left arm. Stack & Tilt will last until the money runs out on the infomercial and then you will find them in the dusty discount bin at walmart.

I vote for C.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.