Inside Quadrant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's attack this subject for a few minutes today.

What happen's to the ones that don't make this visual?

What is happening to the one's that swing back to the back of the ball?

How about those that don't even think much about the ball?

Lastly those that go to the inside quadrant and shank or block the shot, whats a golfer to do. :eek:

lmisner1040 said:

Lastly those that go to the inside quadrant and shank or block the shot, whats a golfer to do. :eek:

I don't make the visual but I don't think it adversely affects the flight.

I don't think much at all about the ball. I don't try to hit anything rather I swing trying to achieve specific alignments, the ball just happens to be there.

I do feel that trying to hit a specific portion of the ball will produce just what you mentioned. If one puts the ball in the proper orientation wrt the plane line and low point inside aft contact is inevitable.

CW

bts

New
lmisner1040 said:

Slice, fade, pull, push, draw, hook and straight.

It depends (on clubhead path, clubface orination and hinge action through impact), could be slice, fade, pull, push, draw, hook and straight.

The ultimate!!! Yet, it could be slice, fade, pull, push, draw, hook and straight.

Last edited:

Burner

New
The "inside aft quadrant" is one of the hoary old chestnuts of golf. How far inside for heavens sake - no one tells you that!

"Hit out to right field" generally accompanies this little gem. How far out to right field for heavens sake - no one tells you that.

Inside aft quadrant = one dimple, maybe two at the most from dead centre back of the ball.

Hit out to right field = make the Pitcher dive to his right to avoid percieved injury to his left ear.

Clue: Proceed to set up with the clubface square to the target line. Move to impact fix....... and the clubface will then open a tad. This is your "inside aft quadrant" the direct line through the ball at right angles to the clubface. It is also your direct line to right field.

Discuss.

Last edited:
inside Inside

Burner said:
The "inside aft quadrant" is one of the hoary old chestnuts of golf. How far inside for heavens sake - no one tells you that!

"Hit out to right field" generally accompanies this little gem. How far out to right field for heavens sake - no one tells you that.

Inside aft quadrant = one dimple, maybe two at the most from dead centre back of the ball.

Hit out to right field = make the Pitcher dive to his right to avoid percieved injury to his left ear.

Clue: Proceed to set up with the clubface square to the target line. Move to impact fix....... and the clubface will then open a tad. This is your "inside aft quadrant" the direct line through the ball at right angles to the clubface. It is also your direct line to right field.

Discuss.

Does the clubface cross the target line at collision?

You body is in position from the correct pivot to go to right field, only just about collision the turn brings you back to the inside. So right field it appears but left is the end product. If you swing to right field, you will go to right field. Tell some one to swing to right field.

As long as you know your swing is a circle and you know what that circle consists of, you pretty much all systems go.

I will say again, over 55 percent of the time, those poor shots are do to poor alignment. I am talking the players with good golf swing knowledge. We just don't take care of that important facet of golf.:)

Burner said:

Discuss.

Perfect description IMO :cool:

lmisner1040 said:

The guys who try to hit square into the back of the ball will sometimes play very well for 3 or 4 holes...then disaster. They somehow get everything together for a while but lose it and start a pattern like - pull hook OOB, push fade into the trees.

When I see this left/right pattern of shots after a stretch of good holes I always have a good idea why.

If the golfer envisions the arc of his clubhead and hands each as traversing the inside of a large tire slanted back from ground to shoulders that is rolling at the target (with his eyes looking from inside the tire outward towards the rim) instead of the path of the clubhead on the ground from the perspective of the photographer above his head looking down, he doesn't need the aft quadrant image: it is handled automatically by the slanted tire - and in using THAT instead, his delivery is a flat straight line - the plane line. It's easier to control straight than curved, no?

noote said:
The guys who try to hit square into the back of the ball will sometimes play very well for 3 or 4 holes...then disaster. They somehow get everything together for a while but lose it and start a pattern like - pull hook OOB, push fade into the trees.

When I see this left/right pattern of shots after a stretch of good holes I always have a good idea why.

So the ones that look at the ball as awhole and win championships are lucky?

So many pro's today go back to back of the ball. If you took a poll you would be surprised, that more PGA wins in history, where by guys and gals that don't have a clue about inside quadrant. Why is that? I will say, more tournaments may have been lost to poor alignment.

Lets get to the bottom of this subject, the theory and real life application.

To get things started...

You can hit the inside-aft quadrant of the ball when the Clubhead is going Outside-in!

Theoretically, if the face is open enough, and remains that way through impact, you could contact the ball on the inside aft quadrant, I suppose.

Perfect Impact said:
If the golfer envisions the arc of his clubhead and hands each as traversing the inside of a large tire slanted back from ground to shoulders that is rolling at the target (with his eyes looking from inside the tire outward towards the rim) instead of the path of the clubhead on the ground from the perspective of the photographer above his head looking down, he doesn't need the aft quadrant image: it is handled automatically by the slanted tire - and in using THAT instead, his delivery is a flat straight line - the plane line. It's easier to control straight than curved, no?

PI
sorry, but the more I read this the more I become confused. I like the mental image of a rolling tyre but how exactly do my hands traverse the inside of a large tyre?

Burner

New
Bigwill said:
Theoretically, if the face is open enough, and remains that way through impact, you could contact the ball on the inside aft quadrant, I suppose.
In HK's own words - Keeeerect! But, it would take a pretty good player to do it deliberately. Conversely, it would take a pretty bad player to do it by accident.

It is very much more likely that an inadvertant outside in swing path and contact with an open clubface will be on the outside aft quadrant or centre rear of the ball - hence the slicing/cutting effect that guys spend megabucks on trying to correct.

lmisner1040 said:
So the ones that look at the ball as awhole and win championships are lucky?

So many pro's today go back to back of the ball. If you took a poll you would be surprised, that more PGA wins in history, where by guys and gals that don't have a clue about inside quadrant. Why is that? I will say, more tournaments may have been lost to poor alignment.

Imisner1040. Your first question was about guys who don't make the 'visual' but I was replying to the second question of 'swinging back to the back of the ball' which I quoted.

Where you look and where you swing into don't have to be the same. When a skill is learnt in golf it is convenient to ingrain it and then 'forget it' so that you don't have to think about it constantly...so if you are hitting the inside back of the ball and getting a good result you just keep swinging the same and there is no need to constantly think "inside quadrant, inside quadrant".

Who are these PGA winners who don't have a clue about inside quadrant? Can you name them? Not just trying to push you on a point but I'm really interested.

What I would say, is that someone who never knew about hitting the inside back of the ball and either does so anyway or gets consistent excellent results looking at the very back of the ball, would have something in their swing that equalled 'inside quadrant'.

Last edited:
noote said:
PI
sorry, but the more I read this the more I become confused. I like the mental image of a rolling tyre but how exactly do my hands traverse the inside of a large tyre?

A tire has a trough or slot inside. If I picture my swing center at the center of this tire I can trace that trough/slot with my hands in its circle. It is as though my left shoulder were the axle of a bike tire and the left arm is the spokes.

Perhaps you've seen the picture in Search For The Perfect Golf Swing by Cochran and Stobbs that shows such a thing.

If I 'aim' the tire so that it rolls in the direction of the target, hence make my hands move along the path of that slot, the clubhead will ALSO be moved along that same line/path/orbit. "The toy follows the hand that pulls the string" is my way of referring to the fact that the clubhead's direction is the same as that of the hands. Now, since the orbit of the HANDS is a small one and that of the clubhead is a large one, there are two tires that I have in my mental image: the one for the hands which is about thigh high, and the one of the clubhead which brushes the ground.

I simply manage my swing by tracing the inside of the small tire.

Bigwill said:
If the Clubface is open at all (e.g. 0.5 degrees), it will still hit the visual inside-aft quadrant of the ball even if the Clubhead is coming 45 degrees outside-in. Only if the Clubface is square can you hit the back of the ball directly (neither inside nor outside aft).

For those who can't see why this is so, try it close-up in slow motion with a ball and a 5 iron.

Perfect Impact said:
A tire has a trough or slot inside. If I picture my swing center at the center of this tire I can trace that trough/slot with my hands in its circle. It is as though my left shoulder were the axle of a bike tire and the left arm is the spokes.

Perhaps you've seen the picture in Search For The Perfect Golf Swing by Cochran and Stobbs that shows such a thing.

If I 'aim' the tire so that it rolls in the direction of the target, hence make my hands move along the path of that slot, the clubhead will ALSO be moved along that same line/path/orbit. "The toy follows the hand that pulls the string" is my way of referring to the fact that the clubhead's direction is the same as that of the hands. Now, since the orbit of the HANDS is a small one and that of the clubhead is a large one, there are two tires that I have in my mental image: the one for the hands which is about thigh high, and the one of the clubhead which brushes the ground.

I simply manage my swing by tracing the inside of the small tire.

PI, thanks, I've got it now. A useful image it is.

BTW I haven't seen that Cochran and Stobbs book since 1993, thought it would have been long forgotten by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.