Is it possible not to think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly do not know.

Talked to someone a while back who thought thoughts were like clouds. "Scattered clouds."

Discuss...! (please :))

Any psychology people in the house?

Last edited:
I mean to just say something "to yourself" like "don't' think."

Does it work?

Can you have no conscious thoughts?

For how long?

They are honest questions btw. I really do not know.

tom bartlett and i played some golf in our younger years with a guy named eric schorr......as he waggled before his shot, he literally said these words - out loud........."don't think, don't think, don't think, don't think, don't think" right up to his takeaway......

mixed results for his career

imo, as long as neurons are transmitting action potentials(firing) and neurotransmitters are crossing synapses in the frontal lobe of our brain, then there are thoughts. Still one of the big mysteries in neurobiology is how the neurons' function to make thoughts and ideas.

Can you have no conscious thoughts?

For how long?

I don't think my wife has had any for the past 18yrs! :)

Seriously though...
I think you can clear your mind (even starring at a pixel on the screen can do that for you) of clutter but to have no thoughts at all would be pretty rare, unless you pass out! :)

I agree, it is very hard to clear the mind completely (legally:)) what you should do is think about what you want to do, positive result instead of what you don't want to do, ie, slice it in the woods!

Narrowing your focus is thought the be the best way to control your mind. I'm sure most of you have heard this before. But, for instance when hitting driver off the tee, you pick the smallest possible target--a tree in the distance--rather than the right side of the fairway.

I've tried mental training and I hate it, its a load of BS. Wanting to "control" your thoughts is the beginning of the end for most people - look at Tiger. Happy guy? I don't think so. As soon as you get involved in this BS you headed for the nuthouse.

I've experimented with this over the years with "mixed results."

When I was playing full time, I would go through periods of paralysis by analysis and I would have some pretty frustrating practice sessions on the range. So I experimented by standing behind the ball, visualizing the shot and then, loud enough for people around me to hear, I started counting to eight. I got to the point that "four one thousand" was the club placed behind the ball and "eight one thousand" was my takeaway. The shots were some of the best I had ever hit.

A couple of things...I found it very difficult to think (and almost impossible) about my swing during this process and for the first time in my life, I really felt like the swing was on "auto-pilot."

A couple other things...I was so intrigued by the process that I implemented it (too quickly) into an event the next day. Everything was going swimmingly until I got to "five one thousand" on the first tee and nearly had a panic attack. Fortunately I made contact and hit the ball in the fairway but the fact that the "game sped up" considerably in competition meant I needed more time.

The last thing...after a few days of practice, I really thought I had it down. Golf was nearly effortless and I was hitting the shot I was visualizing nearly every time...until the day I got to "seven one thousand" and a swing thought crept in. "Stay behind it...." I had successfully turned the brain off for a while and the bastard snuck back in.

Not think about what?

If you are attempting to avoid mechanics from your thought process, Carey Mumford suggests, Clear Keys. A clear key might be "Mary had a little lamb I wish I had one too" or "Why is abbreviation such a long word".

I'm gonna say yes and for proof all you have to do is watch the nearest 11 year old boy for about 8 minutes.

All kidding aside, I don't think about anything on the backswing. It amazes me how I can almost "blackout" for that 7th of a second. On the downswing, however is when the "don't yank it left" type thoughts creep in. If I'm comfortable and confident, those thoughts are fewer and farther in between and I tend to play really well. If I am uncomfortable that day, they happen every swing and look out.

The audible counting is interesting as well. It's very hard to negative talk yourself while you are saying something neutral or positive aloud. "Quantum Golf" is a decent book that goes into this (within the constructs of a story). Shivas Irons also did a bit of a scream to "scare away the demons." I think we all could have used that at one time or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.