Is it possible not to think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Timothy Gallwey

Probably most people who frequent these forums are prone to over-thinking...myself included.
I've worked with a few sports psychs and read dozens of books, but the simplest one that worked the best for the longest time was Tim Gallwey's Inner Game of Golf...play in the awareness mode instead of the trying mode, and mentally chant "back-hit" while swinging (and trying to time the moments of top and impact). It worked like magic for me.

I like Gallwey's stuff as well... I enjoyed his first book, "The Inner Game of Tennis", even better.

"In a good golf swing certain things must be caused to happen and other things allowed to happen. Faults arise when we try to cause that which we should allow."

Playing at my best is much easier to do as an observer rather then a tryer.

"Delete" (key) right Spike?

Like a computer...

I agree. "Free will" is one thing, but who knows just how we work right...? What happens to make a thought "pop" into your head, good or bad...?

It is pretty amazing if you think about it.

Hindu Swamis say that good or bad emotions/thoughts come from the major organs of the body. Signals that need attention. I no longer wonder why I find myself with a beer in my hand! But I do gravitate toward the good beer. Good meaning cold, cheap and tasty!

Is it possible to not think?

Yes. Very hard to do because thinking is our means of survival. But excessive or negative inner dialog is detrimental to intent and a sense of flow. It can be the root of self-limitation. Stopping thought is like everything else we do, it has to be practiced. A few seconds is possible at first but you have to build on it from there. Best way to try it is to unfocus the eyes when trying to quiet your thoughts. Lack of something to visually grab your attention while the eyes are still open can be more effective than closing them. I do it by staring at something for a few seconds until my eyes unfocus on their own. If I do it at work on a break, it feels calming mentally and energizing physically. Actually, I would think of it as an attempt to quiet the inner dialog.

I read the following somewhere about the power of the inner dialog, "We are the way we are because we tell ourselves we are that way."

Similar to golf, you can't 'try' to do it, you just have to do it. I'll offer this, short absences of thought may be the best way to 'get out of your own way' on the golf course so you can let your swing 'happen'.

BTW, this is my first post on this forum. Somewhat of a dubious subject through which to introduce myself:)

I play a bit with a gent that has played the regular as well as the champions (although I call it the seniors tour to try get into his head!)

Anyway he beats me like a cheap drum, most days. I have to break 70 to even sniff a chance.

He always tells me to just "hit it, don't think just hit it!" Now good players often say this kind of stuff.

His explanation was along the lines of if you are focused on the target you do not get caught up in the "how to" of it all.

So his idea of thinking is to limit it to the target.

He says that he sees the target when he is looking at the ball, that in fact the ball becomes incidental.

I truly hate this man! :D

He adds that to play golf at a high level you have care very deeply but paradoxically have a serious case of the "I do not give a shits."

Maximum effort in preparing for the shot followed with a harry-casual response to the results. Most golfers have it the other way round.

Heard this the other day....

"If it is real and I can create it in my mind then it can become reality. That is the power of intention." Ceasar Milan

Status
Not open for further replies.