Is Rory under the plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZAP

New
I have always thought it looked like that would be his tendency but looks can be deceiving.

lia41985

Ain't no planes in 3-D, bruh. Rightward swing path with a low-ish, VSP, sure. 2 majors, 2nd place in this year's FedEX Cup #GetErDone

For what most people look for as being "under", yes. But, lia pretty much summed it up. As long as that clubface is pointed down the right side of everything, he's a machine.

lia41985

Jim,
I can't visualize it any other way.
zy905z.png

2qk5dt4.png

5123ia.png

102t24k.png

opwnic.png

m38m1.png

Furthermore, to zero out with a positive angle of attack the path must be inside-out, correct? That inside-out path is what I consider "under". I'd appreciate it if you could help clear up my apparent misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
lia, depends on swing direction. Also, just because you're path is inside-out doesn't mean you are "under plane." Obviously the more that # increases there's a greater chance of it but if you swung perfectly down a plane board setup for say a 7 iron your impact and launch monitor readings will still say "inside out" because you are hitting down on the ball (assuming you didn't didn't swing left). Let's say we have a driver and we're going to hit up 4* and have a perfect VSP of 45* so there's a 1 to 1 relationship. If i aim 4* to the right perfectly and swing on that HSP TM will read it as inside/out because it's pointed down the target line (while i'm aimed and swung 4* to the right) however since the ball is on hit on the "up" when the clubhead is coming back around we get a "true path" of 0*.

That's my understanding of how TM or FS are taking those readings. Am i misunderstanding it?

Last edited:

lia41985

Jim,
Thanks for your response. However, I'm still wondering what "under" means. I'd appreciate it if you could clarify that.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Jim,
Thanks for your response. However, I'm still wondering what "under" means. I'd appreciate it if you could clarify that.

You just have to hit low point before impact. Being under doesn't have anything to do with it. The look of being under is when a player is under the hands plane too much. Then they start swing high out to the right and it's the double whammy that gives us that look.

I think of it more as just a shifted plane.

You can either shift your plane line out to the right, or you can drop down to a flatter plane.

You just have to hit low point before impact. Being under doesn't have anything to do with it. The look of being under is when a player is under the hands plane too much. Then they start swing high out to the right and it's the double whammy that gives us that look.

I am confused. Questions ...

Let's assume that Kevin's assertion that a symptom of an under plane swing is leading edge of club contacting the ground before impact. Why does this happen in an "under plane" swing? Why does this not happen on an "on plane" swing?

If you state that a swing is under plane there must be a reference plane (ideal plane?). How is that reference plane defined?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
If you state that a swing is under plane there must be a reference plane (ideal plane?). How is that reference plane defined?

IMO, just my opinion, that is the shaft plane at address for whatever plane direction you are swinging on. Put down a plane board and don't hit the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.