Is the US Open the most boring major?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the front nine yesterday and after Johnson came back to the field thought for sure it would get exciting. Nope, the winner won by shooting 74! On the back nine, it was incredibly dull. The game's top players did not do anything. 17 was ridiculously difficult. How do you stop a 219 yard shot on a green that hard ? Eighteen was pretty friendly, however nobody took advantage. Tough course, mediocre play, pretty dull stuff.

Was Bethpage boring last year? IMO, hardly from it. It was a great tournament to watch last year.

This year was a bit boring, because IMO, the last group of guys played poorly out there. Yes, they could've beat me like a drum, but for their standards they played some piss-poor golf out there. The greens had something to do with it, but these guys struck the ball pretty bad out there for them on Sunday.

3JACK

Bethpage was better than this year, but the last exciting one was 2008. I agree that the play by Tiger, Els and Mickelson was not that great which added to the boredom level. Nothing to take away from Mcdowell, he deserved to win. I think that 14 and 17 just took away any excitement and the pin on 16 was not a great one for a final round. I think the last five or six holes should be set up to encourage aggressive play. They did it on 18 and nobody produced except Love, who hit the green in two. They were going at it with irons and nobody else in the last six groups hit the green in two. If you move the tee up on 18 like they did, why not move it up on 17? How in the world can you hit that green from 219 and hold the green? Everybody seemed to play for the front bunker.

I generally love the US Open, but not at Pebble. I already watch the British Open once per year, I don't need to see it twice.

Bouncing short irons into greens isn't american golf IMO.

Generally I dislike all US Open set-ups. I like part of the dislike stems from the fact that I actually can't comprehend on TV just how difficult the course set-ups are and therefore I don't really appreciate the skill necessary to complete a shot, which on what pretty much any other week would be a medicore shot.

I also like to see leaderboards tighten up due to a string of birdies (i.e. Tiger's run on Saturday) versus the leaders imploding and falling back to the pack.

My personal ranking in terms of TV viewing pleasure would be:
1) The Masters
2) PGA
3) US Open
4) British Open

Just my thoughts.

No it isn't!

Yes, this time it was a bit boring.

The Open? Wow, that's the Numero Uno tournament of the year.
You don't just watch it - you smell it too.

I love all the majors. I think we get too caught up in the "what have you done for me lately" attitude these days.

I don't see why birdie golf has to be exciting golf, bogeys and triples are just as fun to watch, it's the lowest score that wins 82 or 62!

I really did not like the Pebble setup, it was 7100 yards or so but played to a real yardage of like 6500, you hardly had to hit a driver. I thought the open was to test all aspects of your game.

The greens were so bad it kind of negated putting.

short game came down to your lie, good lie you had a chance, bad lie you were dead, not much skill. Give me Pinehurst and all the creative shots you could play to save par.

It was a second shot iron course, guess its not a shock that McDowell won as he is a very good iron player, but the rest of his game is so so.

I heard a comment today, 1 guy played okay in the top 20 (Kucher) and the rest could not sniff par, so they all played like crap? I don't buy it, sounds like the course was the biggest problem. I just think Pebble is down the list of great US Open tracks.

For the first time in my life, I ACTUALLY fell asleep watching the U.S.Open. In my opinion, this has become less of a skill test, and more of a "last man standing" event. I don't know if the new groove rule played any part in the outcome, but I do know it was not fun to watch.

greenfree

Banned
I like all the majors...I don't rank them, I just appreciate each one for what it is. They are all cool in their own way.

I agree. There was every opportunity for a lot of players to get the victory they just didn't.

I enjoyed it, they all played the same course and they all had to deal with the same greens and there's always an element of getting a good break or a bad break in every round of golf.

Loser's always have excuses, and winner's always get all the breaks, just ask Sergio.;)

Generally I dislike all US Open set-ups. I like part of the dislike stems from the fact that I actually can't comprehend on TV just how difficult the course set-ups are and therefore I don't really appreciate the skill necessary to complete a shot, which on what pretty much any other week would be a medicore shot.

I also like to see leaderboards tighten up due to a string of birdies (i.e. Tiger's run on Saturday) versus the leaders imploding and falling back to the pack.

My personal ranking in terms of TV viewing pleasure would be:
1) The Masters
2) PGA
3) US Open
4) British Open

Just my thoughts.

The PGA ahead of the Open?? Open golf is a different challenge, sometimes scores can be dead low and sometimes near to par if the wind blows, you see a greater variety of golf shots and strategies than hit it on the fairway then the green and make par or miss the fairway or green and make bogey type of golf that you get in a US Open or USPGA.

I enjoyed Saturday's round, watched it till 10pm. For me, Sunday was a little dissapointing but only because the guys I was pulling for weren't getting any breaks their way. It wasn't horrible.

Meh, I may be in the minority, but I love the US Open. My guy didn't win, but it was great. Par should win the Open, and missing a shot should cost you something. The sadist (hacker) in me loved watching the best players in the world get up over their tee shot on 17 knowing they had no chance to get it close. Kinda like me on my home track. I get to see how many birdies these guys can make 30 weeks of the year. No harm in seeing how many pars they can make 1 week of the year.

And by The Open, I meant The B.O. The real Open.

Definitely enjoy the British Open the most of all majors. The Masters is majestic and special, and the US Open is played at really great venues, and the PGA has the strongest field. I just feel that the USGA tries too hard, I like the course changes that were made, eg. 8 and 10 but question the course setups. Generally the US Open is 3rd for me, but I think this year it will be 4th. As for the greens, they certainly are not Oakmont, but they never will be when played by the sea, and like someone said, everyone has to play them. Cant wait for Sain T'Andrews!!:D

Out of all the majors I think I prefer the US PGA - seems to be normal golf compared to the rest.
Although I'm from the UK I'm not a massive fan of the Open \ British Open \ whatever you want to call it - too much reliance on course knowledge, members bounces etc. and I can't stand the SLOW greens . Alot of links golf is imagination , hitting half,punch shots , and the skill of hitting long, high towering golf shots is taken out of the equation, and in my opinion that is a bad thing.
In saying that the US players seem to do well on it .
I have to say Links courses are great fun to play as a player and a nice change from the norm , but as a spectator and watching the pros I'd always take the US majors.

I couldn't disagree more with every aspect of your post.

If I was a benevolent dictator of golf, I would completely scrap the US PGA. It's a boring event that I would replace with an international major to be held in any other country other than US or UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.