Is the US Open the most boring major?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all 4 majors have something different going for them.

The Open (British) is the most historic, and requires the greatest variety of shots (low into the wind, high downwind, holding the ball against a crosswind, the bump & run etc), but luck is a factor (especially with the weather) and it can be unfair.

The Us Open is the sternest test of golf and probably best identifies the best ballstriker, but the setup can verge on silly and it can be dull to watch.

The masters (if the course is setup properly) is the most exciting, and visually the most spectacular.

The US PGA probably has the best course setup and the best field.

They're all different!

I think all 4 majors have something different going for them.

The Open (British) is the most historic, and requires the greatest variety of shots (low into the wind, high downwind, holding the ball against a crosswind, the bump & run etc), but luck is a factor (especially with the weather) and it can be unfair.

The Us Open is the sternest test of golf and probably best identifies the best ballstriker, but the setup can verge on silly and it can be dull to watch.

The masters (if the course is setup properly) is the most exciting, and visually the most spectacular.

The US PGA probably has the best course setup and the best field.

They're all different!

Right! Vive la difference!

Personally, I think the U.S. Open is the worst run by far, and introduces the largest element of luck. One of the guys on the Golf Channel said McDowell puts top spin on his puts and that may well be why he won. Also, the 391st ranked player finishes second in golf's sternest test, I don't think so. When your only option on a hole is a defensive bogey, that's the definition of boring.

I generally love the US Open, but not at Pebble. I already watch the British Open once per year, I don't need to see it twice.

Bouncing short irons into greens isn't american golf IMO.

I like it in theory...allows for variety of play and style.

I didn't know "American Golf" had to fit a specific defenition brunk! ;):)

This US Open wasn't all that exciting though I agree. Probably just due to people not playing well down the stretch.

All I know is I like tourneys where people are dueling and playing well against each other. I like to see risk/reward golf.

I don't think I really care much how hard a course or "test" (or whatever) is as long as the competition is good and the course is fair enough.

It doesn't excite me to see people broken down.

Hole 14 was what it was but I don't think it was necessary. I wouldn't want to whine but to call it a bit of a "sideshow" I don't think is that unfair.

I like to see risk/reward golf (risk taking and people having to consider strategy) and competition, flat out.

Last edited:
I'll just add that I guess there is no risk/reward without punishment...

I don't like courses that make you play overly conservative or else you're dead. To me it is boring and one-dimentional.

But it's exciting to pull off the shot when it does happen...and good to see players contemplate strategy..."going for it."

To me it's one of the most important things...finding that balance between difficulty and oppourtunity...

I love the US Open, though this year I didn't care for the selection of Pebble as the course and don't think it sets up well for what I've come to expect the US Open to be, long and fast, with excellent greens (weather permitting). The world's best players had a chance to win this year but they didn't get it done. Of course, I never heard Watson or Nicklaus complain about the course set up in '82 and I remember seeing Watson's shot on 17! Okay, maybe it wasn't such a bad pick, there is history there and it will return to Pebble in the future.
As far as #14, I was a bit shocked that it was so difficult. The play might have been to the front bunker.
McDowell deserves alot of credit for pulling it off. As far as Havret, the guy played spectacular...don't forget about Rocco a few years ago, similar in that he wasn't highly ranked but played spectacular golf. Okay, maybe this one was boring...

I like all the majors....If I had to rank them: Masters, US Open, British Open, PGA. I would love to see the PGA return to its roots and go back to a match play contest that would seperate it from the other majors. There is something special about the Masters, its the start of golf season and its the first major of the year plus its always played on the same course. I really enjoy the British when the wind is blowing and the rain is coming down sideways.

I normally enjoy the US Open, but felt the USGA went overboard with their set-up on holes #7, #14 and #17.

On #7, no matter how good a wedge player, luck was a big determiner to get the ball on the green, much less close to the hole. To watch the best players in golf hitting wedges onto #7 and watching the ball trampoline to the back of the green or go over, showed to me that the USGA had removed skill from the game on that shot.

On 14 you had a ridiculously small target that if you missed the ball would roll back to the side and end-up off the green.

On 17 skill was removed from the shot again. It didn't matter how high or how much you could spin the shot it wouldn't stay on the green. The only way to hit the green was for the ball to hit into the rough between the trap and the green and hope the ball bounced through.

The way the USGA set Pebble Beach up, negated the shotmaking strengths of some of the better players.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Opens.

I use to play in the US Open qualifier every year. It was always a dream of mine to play in one. It still is.

I always wanted to go over to the UK and try to qualify for The Open, back in the day it was just a week or two before.

I like the fact that the tournaments are truly open.

The USGA and to a lesser extent, the PGA Tour, are LIEING to the golfing public.

They are trying to get you to think that golfers haven't improved.

What a joke.

I love Jack Nicklaus, but the 1971 version of big Jack, might not have broken 80 on this totally tricked up JOKE of a set-up.

Great Course, Great Players, bad setup.

Grow a little higher rough then normal, slick up the greens, and let 'em play.

Geez...

They are playing a real US Open course this week. How awesome would it be to be a member at that place! I love all the options around the greens without it being tricked up at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.