It's Math Anyway (with a Brian Manzella video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the tail of the driver affects to the measuring like I think it can, I need to know and that way be able to read the results better way. When I will know how the AoA is defined and from what period, I can read that data better. Whatever is the answer, It doesn't make those devices worse. It's just helping to understand few things more.

You own a Flightscope, have you called your rep. with this question?

I think it's unfair to have a go at Tee just because he doesn't teach a world top 50 golfer and doesn't believe that impact manipulation using a LM is the answer to everything. I'll bet that Brian doesn't think that either.

Let's not forget that there are monkey boy coaches out there teaching top golfers: just because a top golfer chooses to work with someone doesn't make that coach a great coach. And just because you don't teach world class golfers doesn't make you a monkey boy coach.

Brian is obviously a great coach, but hey maybe Tee is too. Who knows for sure?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
BACK TO TRACKMAN QUESTIONS:

Why is there a difference in some of the locations with the three clubs of "starts of the face" or "starts on the path" and "starts on the Angle of Attack" or the "Dynamic Loft".....????

Friction.

friction.jpg

There doesn't appear to be much difference between the vertical and horizontal relationships, which should be the case in a model. Are you proposing that there is more friction in, say the vertical, and that the proportion is different?

I think it's unfair to have a go at Tee just because he doesn't teach a world top 50 golfer and doesn't believe that impact manipulation using a LM is the answer to everything. I'll bet that Brian doesn't think that either.

Let's not forget that there are monkey boy coaches out there teaching top golfers: just because a top golfer chooses to work with someone doesn't make that coach a great coach. And just because you don't teach world class golfers doesn't make you a monkey boy coach.

Brian is obviously a great coach, but hey maybe Tee is too. Who knows for sure?

Wulsy,

Did teeace not question Brian on why he has only one top golfer who had an 80 ranking spot improvement?

Gmafb

Brian does only teach one tour player - and by all objective evaluations, Brian had one helluva year with that player. Who the heck is this guy questioning why Brian doesnt have more.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
all other things the same with less spin loft = Less friction

all other things the same and more spin than normal for a given spin loft + clubhead speed = more friction (like a rough face, better grooves, and will show up in ball launching closer to the path than normal for the spin loft)

all other things the same and less spin than normal for a given spin loft + clubhead speed = less friction (like a flyer, vaseline on the face, etc, and will show up in ball launching closer to the face than normal for the spin loft)

Wulsy,

Did teeace not question Brian on why he has only one top golfer who had an 80 ranking spot improvement?

Gmafb

Brian does only teach one tour player - and by all objective evaluations, Brian had one helluva year with that player. Who the heck is this guy questioning why Brian doesnt have more.

Fair enough. But it's a question I've asked myself a few times. Not doubting Brian's ability, just seems strange.

But as we all know, the tour coaches are often better at "politics" than coaching. Would also be a good question for the interview.

all other things the same and less spin than normal for a given spin loft + clubhead speed = less friction (like a flyer, vaseline on the face, etc, and will show up in ball launching closer to the face than normal for the spin loft)

"Grease don't help a duck-hook."- Spec

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
The question of how who teaches whom on Tour is always a fascinating one. I certainly don't have any answers. How many "tour" coaches have multiple players anyway? I mean, more than a few legit top 125 players? Harmon, Foley, then who?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
David Toms is back on a winning track

Published: Wednesday, May 25, 2011

By Peter Finney, Times-Picayune

david-toms-kids-apjpg-62b9799f0dc25e35.jpg
picture by LM Otero/The Associated Press

David Toms is hugged by his children Carter, 13, and Anna, 5, after Toms won the Colonial on Sunday in Fort Worth, Texas.​

Five months into the 2011 season, no golfer has written a more compelling story than David Toms.In a sport known for birdies and demons, how many have taken the kind of roller-coaster ride the former LSU standout took the past two weeks?

The betting money seemed to be on the demons.

Would Toms ever win his 13th tournament on the PGA Tour?

One week The Players Championship was there for the taking for a 44-year-old who spent most of the 72 holes in the lead, then lost the lead, then sent it to a sudden-death playoff with a clutch birdie putt of 17 feet on No. 18, then handed it all to K.J. Choi by missing a putt from 3 1/2 feet on the first hole of extra play.

So how would Toms respond a week later at the Colonial, at “Hogan’s Alley’’?
He responded in bewildering fashion.

He responded with 62s Thursday and Friday, with a 74 on Saturday that cost him a seven-shot lead, then by sinking a wedge shot from 83 yards for an eagle on the way to a final-round 67 and a one-shot victory over Charlie Wi.

No wonder Toms called victory No. 13 the “most satisfying of my career,’’ more than the PGA Championship he won in 2001.

“I’ve always had a problem with self-doubt,’’ Toms said. “Maybe it has to do with the way I play golf, the way I have to plot my way around. After a while, it kind of beats you up.’’

That’s how life on the Tour can be for someone who is no boom-boom driver off the tee, someone who relies more on the kind of shot-making borne out by his 2011 stats (No. 3 in driving accuracy, No. 2 in greens-in-regulation).

After a rocky start, Toms won $2.14 million the past two weeks, climbing from No. 99 in the world rankings in January to No. 28.

“It’s been great working with Brian Manzella,’’ said Toms of his swing coach, who also is director of instruction at English Turn.

Manzella has been a longtime proponent of TrackMan, a radar device that measures the speed, spin and flight of the golf ball, as well as what the club does through impact.

“I think I’ve become a more patient golfer because I’ve become more comfortable, gotten more confident in my swing,’’ said Toms of an impressive resurgence.

It was no surprise Manzella spent Tuesday in Shreveport, not only in the company of Toms, but also giving lessons to Carter Toms, a 13-year-old TrackMan advocate, who called the device “cool.’’

“When it comes to teaching tools, I believe TrackMan’s future is off the charts,” Manzella said. “As a teaching tool, I look at video as an X-ray. I look at TrackMan as an MRI. TrackMan takes the focus away from how the swing looks. It deals more with what the club is doing and what the ball is doing. The video days gave you a two-dimensional look. TrackMan is three-dimensional. When it comes to what went right or what went wrong, it takes away the guessing. It tells you what you can’t see with the naked eye. Or with video.’’

For a veteran winning for the first time in five years, it told Toms, “I can still win, and I still have the game to play well, no matter the tournament or the conditions.’’

The 83-yard approach he made for an eagle at the par-5 11th hole that turned everything around at Colonial (“maybe the most perfect shot I ever hit’’) reminded Toms of the hole-in-one he made 10 years ago in Atlanta on the way to winning the PGA.

“I guess some things are destined to happen,’’ he said, recalling last year’s Greensboro Open, where he lost to a winner who bounced a crucial approach off the grandstand.

What is Toms’ destiny?

“Considering what David has overcome, injuries that would have done in the careers of many talented golfers, there’s no telling how far — and for how long — David can continue to compete at a high level,” Manzella said. “He proved the last two weeks what kind of competitor he is, the fire he has burning inside. You just want him to keep the David Toms swing at it best.’’

Who knows?

It might not be long before David will be getting lessons from a kid named Carter.

I knew from COFF that Brian used to work with David Toms but I wasn't aware that they still worked together and actualy intensified their work last year. Congratulations to Brian for that success.

On a different note:
What is the best resource (book, ebook, wep page) where the ball flight laws including gear effect, effect of the AoA etc are described in one understandable resource? I know the basics including d-plane but missing the fine details.

Status
Not open for further replies.