Johnny Miller is right about Tiger...

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it seems as if hes over exagerated Haney's instruction to swing flatter and open the clubface on the backswing. Each year since 2004 the swing has got flatter and more laid off.

He needs his backswing to go more UP than AROUND; not a bunch but just some and it would eliminate it. Easiest way w/o introducing too much would just be to tell him to fold his right arm SOONER than he is doing. That would get rid of most of it imo

For a great player like Tiger club face rotation should not be a problem. If you rotate it on the backswing you sure as heck know where you have to rotate it back to on the downswing to get to impact. Tiger is a master of clubface control. I think the problem lies elsewhere. Maybe he is pre-occupied with positions and not just letting it go? Can anyone point to some recent slow mo swings on youtube?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
For a great player like Tiger club face rotation should not be a problem. If you rotate it on the backswing you sure as heck know where you have to rotate it back to on the downswing to get to impact. Tiger is a master of clubface control. I think the problem lies elsewhere. Maybe he is pre-occupied with positions and not just letting it go? Can anyone point to some recent slow mo swings on youtube?

I'm sorry but if he was a "master" of clubface control than he wouldn't be hitting it all over earth. The problem is simple, he over-rotates the left arm wedge too much PERIOD. He could keep his grip/stance/swing/EVERYTHING just rotate it a bit less.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
To me it seems as if hes over exagerated Haney's instruction to swing flatter and open the clubface on the backswing. Each year since 2004 the swing has got flatter and more laid off.

Actually he isn't as flat or laid off as haney wants him to be. Don't you remember when he was closer to what Haney REALLY WANTED he was literally SHANKING THE BALL ON LIVE TV! Remember that whiff on 18 @ the Buick Invitation that almost went in the water?

Tiger takes 9 months off rehabbing a knee. 2009 starts 6 events wins one and 5 top tens. 2008 he won 4 times in 6 starts with Haney and a bad knee. Don't write him off.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Do you think this is why Tiger has a "high right side" coming through the ball...a kind of fit in move in an effort to save it. It was painful for me to watch him yesterday, because it frustrates me so much to see the greatest player ever to touch a golf club have so much trouble. I think Tigers DS pivot is also killing him. What would you say Jim? Thanks.

Edit: I just read Brians Blog. Ill ask the question there as well..it still isn't clear to me.

The high right side is waaaay after impact.

What happens if tiger loses the pop-out and cups his left wrist at the top (the way he used to... probably with a shade stronger grip though...)???

Just thinking...

Actually he isn't as flat or laid off as haney wants him to be. Don't you remember when he was closer to what Haney REALLY WANTED he was literally SHANKING THE BALL ON LIVE TV! Remember that whiff on 18 @ the Buick Invitation that almost went in the water?

OH HE SHANKS IT, HOLY HOLY.

The comment by Faldo (I think it's Faldo talking) about "if you're so strong, just take it back shut and hold it off...worked for about...wins a year and...." is priceless. :p

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Tiger takes 9 months off rehabbing a knee. 2009 starts 6 events wins one and 5 top tens. 2008 he won 4 times in 6 starts with Haney and a bad knee. Don't write him off.

Not writing him off at all, he is the best golfer on tour right now and probably the best ever. When he saves the over rotation he plays fine and hits great shots and when he doesn't he hits it like he has been recently.

I don't want him to change anything but fix the over rotation a bit; he could keep everything else and it'd be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.