Knowledge of the D-plane on the tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved Kevins post.
Its a question of playing vs understanding the exact science. Understanding exactly the d plane does NOT equal great ballflight.
I doubt Keegan Bradley was thinking d plane or science when he was busy spitting all over the place in the playoff.
I hope he stays unconscious-that guy gets in a zone he looks like he has some good instinct.
I think being a player is a lot different from being a coach in terms of needs to understand the science-the player need only know what works for him and feel is not real so some strange things might work for good players.
Being in a zone is way more important than understanding the physics and science-thats the job of the coach.

I do not know about anybody else but the idea of more people getting knowing about the D-plane is unsettling! I kinda like the fact that I know, and THEY don't! :p

I loved Kevins post.
Its a question of playing vs understanding the exact science. Understanding exactly the d plane does NOT equal great ballflight.
I doubt Keegan Bradley was thinking d plane or science when he was busy spitting all over the place in the playoff.
I hope he stays unconscious-that guy gets in a zone he looks like he has some good instinct.
I think being a player is a lot different from being a coach in terms of needs to understand the science-the player need only know what works for him and feel is not real so some strange things might work for good players.
Being in a zone is way more important than understanding the physics and science-thats the job of the coach.

I don't agree completely. Sure for someone of my capabilities (14 hdc) the D-Plane doesn't make much of a difference to my shots but knowing why a shot did something is important no matter your capabilities as a golfer. If you still think the ball starts in the direction of the club path (see Lee's comment I've quoted) then you give yourself the wrong feedback!

I remember trying to learn to hit a draw/fade around a tree or something and I was following the common advice from golf books (see Lee). I thought I was completely useless because I was hitting it always straight into the tree. Now I know why.

As soon as you use the ball flight as feedback to change something in your swing (e.g. club path, face angle etc) you need to know the D-plane etc. If you just adjust your aim (e.g. ball goes left so I aim more right with the whole swing) you might get away with ignorance.

Good post you know its interesting I wonder how many folks were taught the wrong laws and thats why the d plane seems to hold so much significance for them.
I know for myself personally I am self taught so I never thought swing path had more influence than face angle-maybe my intuition was well developed from playing a lot of ball sports from early childhood and it was never poisoned with misinformation. To me I hit balls on the range a bit and I soon realized closed face meant ball left from playing other sports I knew how to put spin on a ball-not that complicated really.
Maybe all this is why I have such a viewpoint-I really feel d plane knowledge has little to do with good golf.
I guess peoples view of the d plane could be much different if they were misinformed from the get go.

There is a difference between what a tour pro thinks he does and what he actually does. If you can reliably shape shots you must have some knowledge of the d plane principles intuitively even if you dont know you do.

Good post you know its interesting I wonder how many folks were taught the wrong laws and thats why the d plane seems to hold so much significance for them.
I know for myself personally I am self taught so I never thought swing path had more influence than face angle-maybe my intuition was well developed from playing a lot of ball sports from early childhood and it was never poisoned with misinformation. To me I hit balls on the range a bit and I soon realized closed face meant ball left from playing other sports I knew how to put spin on a ball-not that complicated really.
Maybe all this is why I have such a viewpoint-I really feel d plane knowledge has little to do with good golf.
I guess peoples view of the d plane could be much different if they were misinformed from the get go.

I used to play table tennis and there I could pick up a ball below the table with a face that points down in a 45 degree angle and still get it over to the other site. So the idea that club path directs direction isn't that far fetched in sport. But of course for table tennis the friction between racket and ball is a lot higher and the contact time is a lot longer then in golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.