Laid-off Backswing + Arched Left Wrist = Hell in the Golf Kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
Dear Tiger,

I have been to hell in the golfing kingdom.
Where attempts at clubface control are futile.
Where push fades and snipe hooks reign supreme.
Where even feline confidence is gashed.
A state of utter helplessness and complete shock.

Yeah, I spent a few years in golf's purgatory.
Arched left wrist. Laid off backswing.
I've escaped from that hell and you can too.
After many years of denial, Step One: Honesty.
Recovery can begin with one, simple admission.
"I have no power over my golf swing.
Hey Hank, are you tanked? Thanks, but goodbye."

Hey Tiger, by the way, you aren't far away.
With a Soft Draw© backswing, just a bit across the line.
With a stronger grip that is strongly encouraged.
With a flat left wrist ... Oh, wait. Hold on a second.
Hey, look Tiger. Remember this young guy ...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Igy5-J78Ek[/media]

I like his swing then, but think he could do even better. He was much thinner in the upper body, especially the chest back then, so it was easier for him to get the across the line look without getting the hands far "in" enough. In that swing I think he lifts it a little with a HUGE shoulder turn...so it isn't really a SD backswing IMO. An even More in hand path, without the "toe up" feel halfway back..more of a shut face feel and a higher right arm. Changing the grip to the old one and with his build now should work out ok with showing him pictures of Jack and his right elbow look at the top. I just am not sure he could be successful using the swing in the video above with his current body and build..he's too muscular now.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I like his swing then, but think he could do even better. He was much thinner in the upper body, especially the chest back then, so it was easier for him to get the across the line look without getting the hands far "in" enough. In that swing I think he lifts it a little with a HUGE shoulder turn...so it isn't really a SD backswing IMO. An even More in hand path, without the "toe up" feel halfway back..more of a shut face feel and a higher right arm. Changing the grip to the old one and with his build now should work out ok with showing him pictures of Jack and his right elbow look at the top. I just am not sure he could be successful using the swing in the video above with his current body and build..he's too muscular now.

not picking on you in particular vj but when are people going to learn THERE IS A LIFT in the backswing. Otherwise how to the arms go UP?!

There is nothing wrong with it.

Oh btw, tiger might have more muscle than me but i am more barrel chested than him with a 46-47" chest and i have no problem getting into that position. It's about how you turn your shoulders and what you do with the left arm flyn' wedge

not picking on you in particular vj but when are people going to learn THERE IS A LIFT in the backswing. Otherwise how to the arms go UP?!

There is nothing wrong with it.

Oh btw, tiger might have more muscle than me but i am more barrel chested than him with a 46-47" chest and i have no problem getting into that position. It's about how you turn your shoulders and what you do with the left arm flyn' wedge

I know the arms lift in the backswing, come down in the downswing and lift back up in the follow thru in the swing. My comment was simply saying I believe he may lift too much and the across the line look is not due solely to his hand path direction on the backswing. Basically, I don't see a soft draw swing in the above video, per Brian's recommendation. IMO, the hands don't come in enough on the backswing. He gets the across the line look because of his Very large shoulder turn and not excessive rotation of the left arm flying wedge.

As for the anatomy discussion, I have no problem getting there either and have a 51 inch chest, but I don't have a startdown like Tiger Woods either that puts a ton of stress and load on the left arm flying wedge and shaft. I'm just not sure with the percieved(from my point of view) large shoulder turn and "over-lifting" of the arms in the old swing, How that would work with his "new" body?? Remember..I'm still very "green" and am just trying to understand your POV and hope I am clear in what I'm saying.. I'm NOT trying to be a jerk..just trying to learn something. Thanks for your comments.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
It is really not that hard....

Tiger is NEVER going to have a "too flat" backswing.

He needs to go handle in, Nicklaus-style.

Like I said before—about 1000 times before.....

You can NOT:

1. Grip it weaker that neutral.
2. Take your hands out early.
3. Over rotate your LAFW to the top.
4. Over rotate it in the change of directions.
5. Try to point the butt of the club outside the plane line on the downswing.
6. Arch your left wrist at impact.
7. Gather up the marbles to the finish

AND HIT A DRAW!!!

You can, but, well, you won't often enough.

If if you are the best of all times....

Augusta was like driving by a car wreck. You sneak a peak. Geez, his swing looks like crap and he still almost won. This week he played a course where you HAD to hit it in play and he couldn't.

Please Tiger, if you are out there on Blogland under the screen name "Erkel", take heed to the suggestions above.

I can name 20 instructors off the top of my head that would get Tiger either back to his great ballstriking form or very close to it in really no time.

A lot of people accuse me of being a 'Tiger hater', but that couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, when he was kicking ass and taking names in the pre-Haney days, I had quit the game and I still loved to watch him play every single time he went out.

THAT was true greatness for me.

THAT was what a 'once a generation' and 'arguably the greatest of all-time' should've looked like.

I never really got to see that from a player before hand. I didn't start playing golf until 1986. Nicklaus was already well past his prime back then, but that was also the year he won the green jacket and played that final 9 like I sort of imagined the greatest (or arguably the greatest) of all time should play it.

From there I had Greg Norman, but he was too 'un-clutch.' Nick Faldo was awesome and sort of looked like one of the all time greats should look like, but his prime really didn't last that long. Nick Price to me was unbelievable as far as striking the ball goes and I still consider him a top 10 ballstriker of all time. But he wasn't very good with the putter and his greatness was short lived as well.

The guy that really excited me for awhile?

John Daly.

He absolutely destroyed Crooked Stick and you thought that if he had a decent day with the driver and the putter he couldn't be beat. But we all know that story.

Eventually Tiger came along. I made it to the US Junior Am in a year he won it, but only saw him hit a few shots. Before he became a pro, I had only heard some things about his game. But as soon as he turned pro I really got to see his game and it was obvious that he was playing a different game than what I had ever seen. It was like a very athletic, more polished and straighter version of John Daly. In other words, it was flat out awesome.

Of course, there was a learning curve for Tiger. For instance, I believe after his first season he was one of the worst bunker players on Tour. He saw that statistic, then worked hard on his bunker game and the very next year was as good as any player on Tour out of the bunker. Again, flat out awesome.

And he played in a fashion that was something along the lines of what I would imagine the golfer who was supposed to be better than Nicklaus and Hogan...and then some. He really didn't seem to have a flaw in his game, something I imagined the greatest of all time should have...now I just got to watch it.

And then the 2000 US Open at Pebble happened.

Enuff said.

But the move to Haney came along and I didn't quite understand it. And Tiger did add more majors and more achievements to his crown. But, the player that played a way that I always dreamed of in my head, that I always wished I could see at least once in my lifetime....had disappeared.

In fact, he was hitting shots that I never imagined any #1 player in the world hitting. And yes, it was fun for awhile to see him hit those escape shots and make all those crazy putts, but it just wasn't the same.

And it didn't have to be EXACTLY the same. Just a reasonable facsimile. Instead, IMO...we got junk. We got courses set up for Tiger (and other long ball hitters like Phil, Vijay, etc) and too many of the courses were set up for guys to kill the ball with little regard as to where it goes as long as it didn't find a hazard or O.B. It was almost like I went from watching golfing nirvana to watching a spectacle. And lots of sad, final round collapses from Tiger's competitors.

I would really love to see Tiger work with somebody else worth a damn and have an open mind to it. Watching golf could be flat out awesome again.

3JACK
(my guess is if he dumps Haney, he'll go with Sean Foley)

ej20

New
Tiger requested a practice round with Rod Pampling recently.Pampling is a student of Gary Edwin.Not sure if there is a connection but Gary is an Aussie.

Edwin is known for his right sided swing method....I hate to say it but another 1 method instructor.

Status
Not open for further replies.