laying it off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More incentive for me to pull the trigger on buying a Casio:)

In the meanwhile, for most pros, would you say that that the flattening is the effect of something else? Or, do they consciously flatten the shaft?

By any chance did this come up at the anti-summit?

Thanks.

gumper

What is the difference between proper flattening of the shaft on the downswing and being "laid off?"

Also, I'd love to have this "problem" as I've been fighting an overly-steep downswing as long as I've been playing.

Finally, what would you gentlemen suggest is the best way for a too-steep hacker to flatten the shaft on the downswing? Most instruction I've seen seems to indicate that the hip bump should do the trick. My hip bump doesn't.

Thank you.

gumper

I'm with you on the steep or ott downswing. In addition to the hip bump, I have also been expanding the left side, or "stretching the fat", into the downswing. But, I must say that I have to consciously feel like I'm laying the club off in order to have it actually come down on plane.

ej20

New
More incentive for me to pull the trigger on buying a Casio:)

In the meanwhile, for most pros, would you say that that the flattening is the effect of something else? Or, do they consciously flatten the shaft?

By any chance did this come up at the anti-summit?

Thanks.

gumper

I think this is the art part of the golf swing and not the science part.

The flattening of the shaft should never be a conscious move as it will never work away from the range.If you can't do this move naturally,then I suggest an across the line position is perhaps not for you.Try for at least to be inline at the top.Inline is the the simplest way to play golf.There is no need to reverse tumble(shallow) from an across the line position or tumble from a laid off position.

Furyk flattens the shaft from an across the line position but he swears he doesn't feel the loop in his swing at all.It's all natural for him and so he repeats under pressure.

The flattening of the shaft should never be a conscious move as it will never work away from the range.If you can't do this move naturally.

IMO this is a pretty bold statement. If true, what's the use of trying to improve?

I had the pleasure of going to chiropractic school with Jimmy Kim, 1988 Olympic Tae Kwon Do gold medalist, and learned Tae Kwon Do from him for about a year. As part of taking Tae Kwon Do classes from him, he insisted that we enter his tournament. So after only 8 or 9 months of training with him--mostly all sparing--I entered his tournament. In the green/blue belt class I went 4-1 and came in second, losing to a 17 year old who had been taking classes year around since he was 10(I was 27 at the time and would have beat this guy if I fought him earlier in the day. I had him by one point and just ran out of gas and got caught on the chin by a turning back kick. I saw it coming and knew how to counter, but my legs just wouldn't move.).

Anyway, during our training classes we did mostly sparring moves; attacks and counter attacks. Jimmy would drill us again and again and again on the same moves. When asked why we were doing the same things for so long, his response was "so when someone goes to kick you in the head, you don't think, you just react". He was making us practice until we couldn't get it wrong(unless, like I was, you are too out of shape)--you might even say they felt natural.

We also did the kicks and counters in super slow motion and I mean super slow, about 2-3 inches of movement in a second. A technique he said he learned at the Olympic Training Center. I have also been doing this technique using a mirror with the swing changes I have been making and see a big change in my swing.

Last edited:

ej20

New
IMO this is a pretty bold statement. If true, what's the use of trying to improve?

I had the pleasure of going to chiropractic school with Jimmy Kim, 1988 Olympic Tae Kwon Do gold medalist, and learned Tae Kwon Do from him for about a year. As part of taking Tae Kwon Do classes from him, he insisted that we enter his tournament. So after only 8 or 9 months of training with him--mostly all sparing--I entered his tournament. In the green/blue belt class I went 4-1 and came in second, losing to a 17 year old who had been taking classes year around since he was 10(I was 27 at the time and would have beat this guy if I fought him earlier in the day. I had him by one point and just ran out of gas and got caught on the chin by a turning back kick. I saw it coming and knew how to counter, but my legs just wouldn't move.).

Anyway, during our training classes we did mostly sparring moves; attacks and counter attacks. Jimmy would drill us again and again and again on the same moves. When asked why we were doing the same things for so long, his response was "so when someone goes to kick you in the head, you don't think, you just react". He was making us practice until we couldn't get it wrong(unless, like I was, you are too out of shape)--you might even say they felt natural.

We also did the kicks and counters in super slow motion and I mean super slow, about 2-3 inches of movement in a second. A technique he said he learned at the Olympic Training Center. I have also been doing this technique using a mirror with the swing changes I have been making and see a big change in my swing.

Like your instructor Jimmy said,you react and don't think.That is what I meant about the flattening move.If you can drill that move so that it becomes permanent and instinctive then good for you but in my opinion it's not that easy if it doesn't come naturally.

You mentioned you had to consciously lay the club off.Well,that's not reacting..thats thinking.

Like your instructor Jimmy said,you react and don't think.That is what I meant about the flattening move.If you can drill that move so that it becomes permanent and instinctive then good for you but in my opinion it's not that easy if it doesn't come naturally.

You mentioned you had to consciously lay the club off.Well,that's not reacting..thats thinking.

I think understand what you are saying. But, for one to improve their swing, they have to change movement patterns and it has to start somewhere. Natural to me is to hit an open faced 40 yard slice. I've changed that by changing a lot of movement patterns. Is it easy? no. Necessary to improve? absolutely. You have to drill it, you can't just go to a tournament and decide to do a swing change for the day--then of course, it won't work.

ej20

New
Talking back swing , I think it is easier to recover from being across the line than laid off, period.
I don't know many pros that are laid off going back! Please enlighten me!
Two that spring to mind are Poulter and Woods and they hit it all over the shop with the Driver.
Graeme McDowell, Sergios lay off seems to be more in the change of direction.
For a normal player, being laid off going back and at the top will make it alot harder to not hit fat or just behind the ball. You then bring in natural talent that not everyone has.
Give me across the top anyday.

Laying the club off at the top is not what Tiger grew up doing.It obviously does not work for him.

As for McDowell,he is laid off well before he reaches the top if you care to look at the video again.It is not done in the change of directions.

We were not talking about laid off in the backswing but at the top.There is a difference.

What's the definition of "laid off"? What if you're short of parallel, dead on plane, and the shaft points left of the target. Is this laid off?

More Than A Hip Bump?

What is the difference between proper flattening of the shaft on the downswing and being "laid off?"

Also, I'd love to have this "problem" as I've been fighting an overly-steep downswing as long as I've been playing.

Finally, what would you gentlemen suggest is the best way for a too-steep hacker to flatten the shaft on the downswing? Most instruction I've seen seems to indicate that the hip bump should do the trick. My hip bump doesn't.

Thank you.

gumper

Just a thought - is there a chance that you are sliding your entire upper body targetward when doing the hip bump? If so, you'll be steep even though you moved your hip like you thought you should. I think Brian uses the terminolgy keeping the neckbone behind the tail bone or something similar.

ej20

New
What's the definition of "laid off"? What if you're short of parallel, dead on plane, and the shaft points left of the target. Is this laid off?

Laid off is laid off.Doesn't matter how short or long the backswing is.The club is pointing left of target in both cases.

The difference is that if you're laid off with the club to parallel and beyond,then most likely you will have over rotated the LAFW as well.So in that sense,yes,laid off and short is better than laid off and long.But try telling that to Ben Hogan.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Just had a look at some videos of Nick Price to confirm I wasn't going mad... Laid off? you must be joking. Short , and club pointing to the left for sure.
He does some crazy Garcia move coming down, but not laid off backswing. Never.

We are obviously talking about different times in the swing. Im talking at the top. Are you saying first move back? Or when? And what pictures of Nick price are you looking at?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Faldo laid off going back? No way.
Maybe we all looking at different videos.
Faldo hardly ever made parallel at the top , and he's certainly not laid off geting to where he did in the videos I'm seeing.
Sergio Garcia laid off going back ... once again ... NO. Does a funny move as he changes direction.
No amateurs do that anyway.
If you want a good definition of laid off going back then Tiger and Poulter are your men, and LOADS of amateurs swing like that and to defend themselves they say .. OH but SERGIO etc . do it!! LOL

So you've seen every amateur swing? Wow. Once again, I'm not defending laid off being better. I teach across the line as well, whatever is needed. If you've taught for any length of time you'd be lying if you said you havent seen the across the line/back up/drop kick every bit as much as the laid off shank.

Laying it off is just too hard to play golf. I wish I never took a lesson from my local pros. It made me play worse.

I think whatever lesson you take from somebody, you should always take it as a advise, and not too concentrate on what they tell you. Instead you should focus on how to apply those things with your swing.

Yikes, Jenhaoyen, I wonder if I'm included in that group that made you lay it off. I remember you hitting it quite well by the end of the lesson.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Just my opinion...

Laid off is SIMPLY more open.

Crossed is SIMPLY more closed.

Just like strong & weak grips.

Just a piece of a puzzle.

So... if someone is laid off at the top and having trouble getting the club head closed enough to hit the ball straight more often than right, then perhaps getting the club lessed layed off at the top is a possible solution? The opposite for someone who closes the club too much from an across the line top position?

ej20

New
So... if someone is laid off at the top and having trouble getting the club head closed enough to hit the ball straight more often than right, then perhaps getting the club lessed layed off at the top is a possible solution? The opposite for someone who closes the club too much from an across the line top position?

Depends on how long your backswing is.Brian himself is laid off at the top but because he doesn't get the club anywhere near parallel he hasn't over rotated his LAFW which means although he is laid off,his clubface is not all that open.

Status
Not open for further replies.