laying it off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a neutral grip, it seems that the right wrist affects the position of the club at the top. More bent right wrist=laid off? At least another factor.

So you've seen every amateur swing? Wow. Once again, I'm not defending laid off being better. I teach across the line as well, whatever is needed. If you've taught for any length of time you'd be lying if you said you havent seen the across the line/back up/drop kick every bit as much as the laid off shank.

Very interesting Kevin. As I have said before, the two best shots of my life were a laid off transition.

1. A 300 yardish (probably 280 carry) driver that was dead straight and I barely broke a sweat.
2. A 9 iron from 158 yards to <1 foot at number 9 on the Texas Tech Rawls Course.

The problem is, the very next irons I hit trying to recreate the feel, were shanks. I have gone back to this for periods of time and hit great shots but have always dealt with the bad ones.

To me, laying it off like Sergio or Graham, gives their hands 'somewhere to go' while they are falling. Maybe some players, can just fall, and some have 'to be doing something' while they fall.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
The problem with laying it off apart from open face issues is that it cannot tolerate 2 things. 1, an outward hand path of any degree.......shank!!! Or 2, no steepening effect, or FATS, which would lay it off even more in the change of directions.

Both would suggest that you should keep the left shoulder in and down, dont tilt early and tumble the hands inward toward the body.

I've seen very few if any players actually play from a laid off position. Hogan was right on plane, now his plane was flatter than most, but he was right on plane. He had a high hands setup which can also make your plane a bit flatter.

Now a lot of people shallow out on the downswing , but there's a big difference in that and laid off. I've played from a laid off position, and trust me, that's not a place you want to be. A lot of people who try to play from a strong right hand position(right hand more under the club) will have a tendency to get laid off. Difficult to get laid off if you have a neutral or weak right hand(for a right hander.)

ej20

New
The problem with laying it off apart from open face issues is that it cannot tolerate 2 things. 1, an outward hand path of any degree.......shank!!! Or 2, no steepening effect, or FATS, which would lay it off even more in the change of directions.

Both would suggest that you should keep the left shoulder in and down, dont tilt early and tumble the hands inward toward the body.

Excellent.

Watch how Sergio's hands work down almost vertically from the top and tumbles like crazy when the club gets to the elbow plane.It never goes below the elbow plane once it reaches it.

The big question is,can this be taught or learnt?

I think anything can be taught by the right teacher, then ingrained by the right dedicated practice.

All depends on the time the student has, or the standard of coaching. I'm not going to give my opinion on how to as it's Brian's site and I respect site rules but if you train to be strong and fast enough then flat and laid off coming into the ball is a powerful position to be in. If your arms and wrists aren't strong, and your pivot isn't up to much then it's difficult to recommend it, and not one for the once a week chopper......

Every good golfer drops it laid off, open and deep coming down. There will always be exceptions but the majority of decent ballstrikers in this world all do it and always have. Whether it is done going back or coming down is personal preference. Those that do it more hit it straighter (Joe Durant), but not as far.

To see where most golfers are requires you to know where they were aiming when you look down the line, but that's a conversation that could go go as to where the camera should be.

For anyone to say Sergio did a "silly thing" at the top I feel don't know what he was doing, and trying to make Sergio swing "conventional" a recipe for him never ever ever reach his potential.....

What you "do naturally" was learned is the first place....and any new move is simply learned in the same way. The book "The Talent Code" does a great job of explaining this.

"Natural" golfers just happened to work it out for themselves like a lottery winner picked the right numbers. Beyond actual physical handicap any move in the golf swing can be "learned" ( even a tripod, which I don't belive in ;) ) but not many golfers will spend the time doing it properly and ingraining it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.