Lead arm runoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the lead arm runs out if its socket on the backswing it seems that this would lead to a tug on the downswing to rectify.
Is this just a self-evident truism or, as I suspect, are there other forces at play?

if my lead arm runs out of its socket (ouch) I have bigger issues to worry about than tugging on the downswing.

If the lead arm runs out if its socket on the backswing it seems that this would lead to a tug on the downswing to rectify.
Is this just a self-evident truism or, as I suspect, are there other forces at play?

Way to familiar with that move. When it goes out it doesn't feel useful or strong to leave it there in the downswing, so the first move for me is to tug it back in. When my first move down with the arms is a tug... :mad:

Guys that do that are using their lead arm deltoid to swing that arm up on the backswing. Halfway back the anterior deltoid goes to max contraction and in order to keep swinging up, the arm has to move away from the body. Then it is out there all by it's lonesome and you have to lasso it back in, or in order to keep slack out of the system, you just tug or pull it down.....and out. Don't do that.

Relax the lead arm deltoids, and use the trail arm to swing the lead arm up and across the chest.

Guys that do that are using their lead arm deltoid to swing that arm up on the backswing. Halfway back the anterior deltoid goes to max contraction and in order to keep swinging up, the arm has to move away from the body. Then it is out there all by it's lonesome and you have to lasso it back in, or in order to keep slack out of the system, you just tug or pull it down.....and out. Don't do that.

Relax the lead arm deltoids, and use the trail arm to swing the lead arm up and across the chest.

Do this with the trail arm deltoid, bicep, or some combination of the two?

I'm definitely guilty of the left delt lift. It's been there since my first swing.

+1

My lead arm is the only arm/shoulder that I feel does any work. Lift, tug, and pull.

tumblr_lo5hz9nF1X1qfjej5o1_400.gif

Towel/headcover/glove in armpit? Or is that going too far, or barking up the wrong tree entirely?

I've been struggling mightily with the tumble; oh, I agree with the concept, makes perfect sense to me and I see that all the elite players do it, but I couldn't do it myself. Took a few vids of myself from DTL and I was so excited cos I saw a lovely tumble, BUT I was still hitting it like a shitehound: I felt great a foot from the ball, but then it all went pear-shaped. I even dragged the ball way back in my stance to see if I could trick the system, but to no avail. Then, from face on vids, I saw this lead arm run off at takeaway: I'd transition and tumble nicely, and everything was coming back perfectly...about a foot shy of impact. So, I had to give it a sly drag through just to get to the ball, which fairly wrecked the flow of tumble and made low-point control difficult

If anyone else is struggling with this it might be worth a quick look and see if the fault isn't right at takeaway

And Virtuoso, would what you describe not increase the danger of sucking the club back too far on the inside? Not a rhetorical question.

For me I feel that the lead deltoid stays in place while the left arm swings up like a pendulum, then my body turn does the rest.

Last edited:

natep

New
I know Brian has mentioned before how much power is to be had by having the shoulders/scapulas adduct/abduct retract as much as possible at the top, so I'm not sure that trying to reduce this or reducing the arm swing is ideal. As long as you don't tug fully-stretched arms/shoulders with the pivot you should be ok. I used to do this routinely, the out-toss was the key for me (The B-type out-toss from B's article).

Guys, just drop the club. Grab your left wrist with your right hand and make a pretend backswing. That's how you do it. Left arm is relaxed and acts as a spacer for the radius only.

lia41985

Guys, just drop the club. Grab your left wrist with your right hand and make a pretend backswing. That's how you do it. Left arm is relaxed and acts as a spacer for the radius only.
Brian illustrated it well:
Here is what folks call the "Geometry of The Circle":

images

I have often said that it is a VERY inaccurate representation of the golf swing.

It is.

Below is one I did this morning for fun.

Only one problem, it isn't correct either.

The center of the shoulder turn (middle of the balck circle) MOVES in a real swing.

The uncocking of BOTH WRISTS (and the right one is uncocking faster that the left one!) are causing the club to make more of an inward move.

The left arm can bend and rotate all sorts of ways.

The clubshaft bows downward, lags and leads.

Etc, etc, etc!!!

But....have a look:

WOSERGIO.jpg

WSERGIO.jpg

You know, I've been trying to separate the pelvic turn from the torso in the transition for the longest time by focusing on the pelvis and torso. Doing as you say in the backswing with the right arm seems to make it much easier to separate. I have always felt better with the swing feeling like a right arm throwing motion and this makes it even mo' better. Thanks Virt;) and thanks to OLIVER for starting the thread.

You know, I've been trying to separate the pelvic turn from the torso in the transition for the longest time by focusing on the pelvis and torso. Doing as you say in the backswing with the right arm seems to make it much easier to separate. I have always felt better with the swing feeling like a right arm throwing motion and this makes it even mo' better. Thanks Virt;) and thanks to OLIVER for starting the thread.

Yes, just like what you would do if you were throwing a baseball, or swinging a tennis racket. The right arm holds back at the top so you can maintain the "twist" in your torso at transition and start the downswing sequence in the right order.

As a side note, not many things have absolutely destroyed golfers like the advice: "Make a wide arc going back."

The lead arm always moves away from the body and the golfer uses all of his talent to gather it back up during the rest of the swing, but inevitably the club goes outside the plane on the downswing, and the downswing hands arc ends up being narrower than it would have been otherwise.

It is true that good players go back wide and down narrower, but they do it in a totally different way. It is sequence related: the unwind takes place closer to the ball than the wind-up did going back. That is why hands arc is narrower on the downswing.

Last edited:

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
It is true that good players go back wide and down narrower, but they do it in a totally different way. It is sequence related: the unwind takes place closer to the ball than the wind-up did going back. That is why it is narrower on the downswing.

Is this because of a proper weight shift or the hips moving laterally? Explain the unwind closer to the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.