Left Lean vs. Right Lean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim, assuming good golfer, do tall people, say over 6 feet, need less axis tilt than shorter golfers? I remember Brian making the comment to me that I didn't need much axis tilt.

IMO axis tilt is a personal thing, you can create more by bending over more (which might happen to tall people with non long clubs) or you can create less by standing taller. I say create the amount of axis tilt in your pattern that you need to hit the shot you want.

Personally i have issues creating axis tilt through the ball thus i bend over more because it's easier for it to happen that way.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Jim, assuming good golfer, do tall people, say over 6 feet, need less axis tilt than shorter golfers? I remember Brian making the comment to me that I didn't need much axis tilt.

Where and when you use the right arm will have alot to do with the amount of axis tilt you have. A flat or rotated shoulder turn and the club you are using will as well.

Semantics

Not that I have a problem with the terminology "left-leaning" or "right-leaning," but just like all clubfaces are open to some degree at the top (some are merely less open than others), aren't all torsos left leaning at the top? If you break down the upper body's pivot in the backswing, you'd have 1) rotation, 2) forward lean (from a standing position, think bending forward from the hips), and 3) side lean (from a standing position, think tilting to one side).

Try these components one by one, and you'll see that an "orthodox," slightly right-leaning backswing position is actually composed of about 40 degrees of left lean, maybe 10 or 15 degrees of forward lean, and then about 80 degrees of rotation.

This won't change any of the arguments' merits on here, I just know how Brian and this site are very particular about their terminology, and I thought I'd bring it up to get some thoughts...

Try these components one by one, and you'll see that an "orthodox," slightly right-leaning backswing position is actually composed of about 40 degrees of left lean, maybe 10 or 15 degrees of forward lean, and then about 80 degrees of rotation.

40 Degrees of left lean? Huh?

Hey, this isn't my research. Ask the 3D experts around here. I think the PGA Tour average is around that neighbourhood.

I think MJ is saying that if you take an "average" PGA pros top of backswing position and do nothing but return his hips to "neutral" starting position, the torso leans left.

Yup. I'm not saying that the actual PGA Tour position looks anything different than a "slightly-right-leaning," orthodox top of the backswing position. I'm just saying that in actuality, the torso has to lean left to get into that position.

I can cite sources if you want me to, but I don't want to step on any toes...

ggsjpc

New
Yup. I'm not saying that the actual PGA Tour position looks anything different than a "slightly-right-leaning," orthodox top of the backswing position. I'm just saying that in actuality, the torso has to lean left to get into that position.

You're describing how the body acts to make the pictures we see right? And by lean left, do you mean the spine tilts to the left compared to vertical(address)?

In order for the rotation to occur, the spine does do some things to make it possible. Just the way the body is built.

The spine reacts in a way so we can rotate around a particular place. Keeping the spine in the same flex is not rotating around a point in the upper a spine.

I don't have time to make this clear so I'll come back and edit later.....

You are correct and, like you said, it really comes down to terminology. It is mostly referred to as "side-bend" here.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Not to be a nucklehead on the subject of all the side bends needed, but we heard about all of this in 1990 with BioVison who we spent a lot of time talking to.

The problem with saying ANYTHING to a student is simple:

Are they the right WORDS for them?

Fair 'nuff. I just thought that there were parallel examples of uber-accurate terminology, and that this may fit into that category. I was definitely not claiming anything new.

Funny

An interesting discussion. I think the right leaning pivots demonstrated represent good players while the reverse pivot pics show 'less good' players so probably are an unfair representation. I think pivots in general are taught badly and maybe that is why left leaning has gained some popularity.
In all the golf I have played this year i have seen about 10 divots (including all my playing partners) so the general standard of golf tuition is poor.

I have turned to left leaning as a last resort as I think the move forward is the hardest move in golf

That is LMAO Funny...

I agree with Jim K: Better players tend to have too much "right" and hacks have too much "left."

PS: I've never seen a right eye dominant, right handed golfers that has had to much lean to the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.