Martin Kaymer

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the analysis going on around the web I think an interesting case would be 'what has happened to Kaymer'?

Seems to have lost his way a bit since being the world no.1 - today +6 at an event he has done well at (3 wins since 2007). He was Mr. Consistent for a while, but apparently tried to change his swing and play for more of a draw. Anyone seeing anything better/worse, especially in regards to the release information?

I was never even #1 in the hollar, but I've chased that evil temptress, the crack of golf on a few occasions. +6 on a professional setup is one thing. How 'bout going +6 in a small potatoes local deal and being 10 shots behind a guy who plays the ball flight you left for the draw.:mad:

When you play a fade and everyone else plays a draw, you get angry.

When you get angry, you go work on a draw.

When you go work on a draw, accidental hooks happen.

When accidental hooks happen, you hit a rough patch.

When you hit a rough patch, people think you suck.

When people think you suck, people what to see how bad you suck.

And when people want to see how bad you suck, you end up in the leftside ditch.

Don't wind up in the leftside ditch.

Get rid of that draw if you're a fader.

I thought on the Golf Mag with Hogan on the cover it said he was going under his natural plane!!!!

It's the damn draw. Those golf magazines are good for the john.

But how did Nicklaus manage to play both reasonably well?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I thought on the Golf Mag with Hogan on the cover it said he was going under his natural plane!!!!

It's the damn draw. Those golf magazines are good for the john.

But how did Nicklaus manage to play both reasonably well?

Nicklaus had a neutral swing. One in which simple adjustments were made to work the ball. Think 2000 Tiger, 1990s Faldo. Kaymer has a pure cut swing. To go to a draw to plAy better at the Masters required an entire overhaul

He'll be back. He won the tournament in Shanghai in November, and it was very impressive. He was like 9 under for the last 12 holes. Blew by everybody.

Absolutely.
It's an interesting concept, isn't it. At what point does over-achieving just become achieving? Cos if you keep racking up wins and majors then clearly you aren't over-achieving, unless you're the luckiest golfer who ever lived.

ZAP

New
I think over achiever is an odd term. Since we cannot see what is inside a player we cannot see possibly the most important part.

What is the definition of over-achieving? Is it performing better than somebody's expectations? Dan Marino 7th Quarterback taken in Draft. Tom Brady 6th round draft choice. Is it someone performing better than what someone thought of their physical skills? Wes Welker, Larry Bird. Did these guys over achieve, or were the people judging them just wrong? I think it's the latter.

How often do you perform to your max potential? No one does it all the time, but...

Everyone has done it "some", I see that as achieving.

Now when you do it more times than not (relative to your sport), I see that as over achieving.

Or if you like the formal definition...

eae00d1b5d68.gif

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
What is the definition of over-achieving? Is it performing better than somebody's expectations? Dan Marino 7th Quarterback taken in Draft. Tom Brady 6th round draft choice. Is it someone performing better than what someone thought of their physical skills? Wes Welker, Larry Bird. Did these guys over achieve, or were the people judging them just wrong? I think it's the latter.

This is an overacheiver

Redirect Notice

Ben Hogan and Gary Player are without question the greatest over acheivers in the history of golf

Also, who are the greatest under acheivers?
I guess to figure it out we'd need quotes from their contemporaries about their max potential. And what defines greatness? Major wins, I suppose.
Ben Hogan? Whew. I bet somewhere in chilly Poland there's a howl coming out of Dariusz's house that's rattling windows in the Ukraine!!
Gary Player I can see given what I've heard about him
Underachievers? Colin Montgomerie, perhaps. Always thought Seve should have snaffled a couple more majors. Hard to call for many Europeans as they were locked out of 3 of the 4 majors for so long and maybe could have gone on to great things if they were given the chance.
I'm sure there's a few American lads from the 1970s - Johnny Miller, maybe?

On the subject of achieving vs talent Pavin had one more US Open than Snead and Strange had twice as many as Pavin. Can a player who won 80 plus times be an underachiever? And a guy who hit a 5-wood from 210 won the US Open.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.