Masters pick 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woods and Rory way ahead of everyone. Like Watson and Nicklaus at Turnberry. I think it will happen sometime, but probably at one of the "Opens".

Erik_K

New
Freddie Couples. I remember the way he played in 2006 (was it really that long ago?). Last year he finished 12th. You never know...

ej20

New
Too many players have the potential to win so hard to predict with certainty but I hope Tiger and Rory both bring their A+ game and have a shoot out on Sunday.I want to see how Rory goes under the gun playing in the final pairing with Tiger on Masters Sunday.To me,Rory doesn't have the killer instinct to win 10 majors but I hope he proves me wrong.

Padraig Harrington or Sergio G. Harrington's swing change has given him fifteen more yards and he is turning the ball over more easily and hitting his irons much higher. He is a threat if the putter cooperates. Sergio has a great potential for Augusta if he can keep calm. Playoff: Sergio v. Paddy, Sergio gets revenge from British and PGA. Or Tiger wins

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Despite those who say you need a draw to win the Masters...a lot of natural faders have won in recent years.

Bubba - can go either way but prefers the big fade
Charl Schwartzel - i'm unsure about
Phil Mickelson - plays best when he fades it
Angel Cabrera - fader (won over Couples/Perry who are push drawers)
Trevor Immelman - i think more of a drawer
Zach Johnson - drawer
Phil Mickelson - fader
Tiger Woods - fader
Mike Weir - don't remember, drawer maybe?
Tiger Woods - fader
Tiger Woods - fader
Vijay Singh - fader

So you can see there's a mix but 2 things stand out imo: 1) Length while fading 2) putting. If you do a search i made a post years ago that basically said they ruined the masters because unless you're a big hitter you realistically can't win anymore because it's too long. BTW before you start screaming Zach Johnson at me, an exception doesn't prove the rule.

So my bet is on a guy who is a natural fader, is on a great putting terror and is LONG.

Shocking that Tiger fits that bill isn't it lol? However based on my logic that puts Rory out it, BUT one thing that Rory can do a lot of drawers can't do is high a MAMMOTH high draw which can help descent angle and getting the ball to stop.

Just some things to consider.

Despite those who say you need a draw to win the Masters...a lot of natural faders have won in recent years.

Zach Johnson - drawer
Phil Mickelson - fader
Tiger Woods - fader
Tiger Woods - fader
Tiger Woods - fader
Vijay Singh - fader

So you can see there's a mix but 2 things stand out imo: 1) Length while fading 2) putting. If you do a search i made a post years ago that basically said they ruined the masters because unless you're a big hitter you realistically can't win anymore because it's too long. BTW before you start screaming Zach Johnson at me, an exception doesn't prove the rule.

So my bet is on a guy who is a natural fader, is on a great putting terror and is LONG.

Shocking that Tiger fits that bill isn't it lol? However based on my logic that puts Rory out it, BUT one thing that Rory can do a lot of drawers can't do is high a MAMMOTH high draw which can help descent angle and getting the ball to stop.

I agree Jim but I think that the "Augusta requires a draw" thinking has always been somewhat misleading. It's true that a number of key holes play right to left off the tee but those greens have always accepted fades much better than draws. But...that has changed too because the greens over the past years have been a lot softer than they were for many years. It's like when they made the course so much longer they made some concessions on green firmness. They are still fast but more receptive than ever. the greens only took high fades for years.

Zach Johnson - drawer
Phil Mickelson - fader
Tiger Woods - fader
Tiger Woods - fader
Tiger Woods - fader
Vijay Singh - fader

Isn't a left handers fade ie Bubba/Phil the same as a righty draw?

Status
Not open for further replies.