modern vs old swings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is a clip on morgan pressel and with a partial analysis from ms rankin.

what would you tell ms pressel to fix her swing in that video?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqL4XVT0JM8&feature=grec_index[/media]

I have this same question. For my entire golf life, I have led the downswing with the hips and my hands and arms are always way behind. This has forced me to fight a flip as well. What could I work on to get my hands and arms more "in front" of me on the downswing?

I have this same question. For my entire golf life, I have led the downswing with the hips and my hands and arms are always way behind. This has forced me to fight a flip as well. What could I work on to get my hands and arms more "in front" of me on the downswing?

me too! :)

lets sit on the edges of our seats and see if the mighty ones would throw us a bone or two :D

S

SteveT

Nice comparison video ... but what it reveals to me is that Pressel's hips are spinning out too much in an attempt to apply "Parametric Acceleration" through her left leg extension. Did you see that???

Golfer Grenada's hips do not spin out and she uses her left leg to brace her torso rotation. This allows for a coordinated kinetic energy sequencing to the arms.

Pressel's driving distances have gone down over the 3 years shown, which may indicate that her kinetic sequencing is faulty.

If you want your leg and hip momentum to flow kinetically to your shoulders and arms, your hips must decelerate, otherwise you don't efficiently generate kinetic energy sequencing ... so obvious..!!!

Now, I wish I could do what I say ....:D

steve, i don't know what you do, who you are, but your writing is fun to read!

( i was going to use !!!, but thought that is your patent:)

thanks for the input...so do you tell her to slow down her lower body turn, or speed up the upper body pull or what?

how would you specifically give her pointers?

for example, can she use this drill: feet together and just swing the arms back and forth?

If you want your leg and hip momentum to flow kinetically to your shoulders and arms, your hips must decelerate, otherwise you don't efficiently generate kinetic energy sequencing ... so obvious..!!!

Now, I wish I could do what I say ....:D

Is it physically possible to not have them decel?

natep

New
I have the same problem also. The past few days I have been swinging my shoulders and arms more upright so that they're not so far behind me and away from the ball. Now they're just dropping more downward instead of swinging out and dropping. My impact is better now with arms trailing less behind me, but still slightly behind.

S

SteveT

steve,

thanks for the input...so do you tell her to slow down her lower body turn, or speed up the upper body pull or what?

how would you specifically give her pointers?

for example, can she use this drill: feet together and just swing the arms back and forth?

I would tell her to stop spinning out her hips because that causes her arm delay. Spinning hips alters the kinetic chain sequencing and delays shoulder rotation which in turn affects the arms.

Maybe if she widened her stance a tad to settle down her lower body and not attempt to rise up with her left leg prematurely. She starts that upward leg push and the club is nowhere near Impact ... bad!!!!

Also to gmbtempe re: "Is it physically possible to not have them decel? " ... Why would you not want the hips to 'decel' ... perhaps you could clarify your comment?!

One thing I disagree with in the commentary is that it's an old school swing. I see her as having a very centred pivot. With her strong hip movement in transition she is not leaving herself much room for her arms to pass through. I think she could do with a little more right leaning (away from the target) tilt to let this happen - which in fact would be more old school.

btp

New
I would pigeon toe the left foot in a little. Should slow down the lower body, speed up the upper body and provide some resistance. Don't go too far or you might hurt yourself.

S

SteveT

I have the same problem also. The past few days I have been swinging my shoulders and arms more upright so that they're not so far behind me and away from the ball. Now they're just dropping more downward instead of swinging out and dropping. My impact is better now with arms trailing less behind me, but still slightly behind.

What's your height and weight .. and the makeup of your clubs?

Sounds like you have gone to a "two-plane" swing style ... and you have a better control of the 'droop' influence of your clubs.

S

SteveT

I would pigeon toe the left foot in a little. Should slow down the lower body, speed up the upper body and provide some resistance. Don't go too far or you might hurt yourself.

Look at how Grenada wedges in her body against the ground going through Impact ... impressive..!!!

Pressel must better control her body CoG as she shifts her weight laterally while attempting to get on her left leg and then rise up extending the left side.

Yes .. toeing in the left foot could be dangerous with spinning hips ... and women have notoriously compromised knee joint structure .....{{{shudder}}}

First off, I do not have sound where I am so I cannot hear the comments.

I see a LOT of flexible players with their hands off their right hip into impact as opposed to off their left hip. It's just simply a matter of their hips turning further. I do not know of any reason why this is a bad thing.

There IS a big problem with her swing though and it's the head tilt back that she HAS to do in order to get to the inside. I see it all the time with players who don't get their head back in the backswing. They'll get it back before impact and that causes a massive head shift as they drop everything back.

It's a poor weight shift as she's trying to keep everything "centered" and "swing in a barrel". Left hip pulls back and away while the head drops. Tiger did it on some swings back in the day and I regret to say he'll probably do it again when Sean's done with him.

natep

New
What's your height and weight .. and the makeup of your clubs?

Sounds like you have gone to a "two-plane" swing style ... and you have a better control of the 'droop' influence of your clubs.

6'1", 200 lbs.

I play 1988 Hogan Apex, stock Apex 3 shafts.

Here's a recent swing with more upright turn :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXVQSyz-MgQ[/media]

I'm looking for a way to get my hands more forward at impact, both in relation to the ball and in relation to my body. I have the distinct downswing feeling on full shots and to a lesser degree (but still very noticable) on chip/pitch/punch shots that my hips start the downswing and my upper body and arms lag behind so my hands throw the clubhead in an attempt to "catch up."

Would a visual image like Impact Hand Location work? A static change like the toed in left foot allowing the hips to stall, thereby allowing more time for the hands to travel? A dynamic change like starting the entire downswing together? Since my hips obviously are "trained" to fire at warp speed from the top of the backswing, is it advisable to ignore them, so to speak, and concentrate on starting the downswing with the shoulders?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

natep

New
One thing that has helped me is the feeling of having my weight shift synchronized with my downswing, so that my weight shift ends at impact.

I used to have the feeling of all my weight getting on my left foot before impact, and just sitting there waiting on my arms to pass by.

natep

New
One thing I disagree with in the commentary is that it's an old school swing. I see her as having a very centred pivot. With her strong hip movement in transition she is not leaving herself much room for her arms to pass through. I think she could do with a little more right leaning (away from the target) tilt to let this happen - which in fact would be more old school.

+1

Nice comparison video ... but what it reveals to me is that Pressel's hips are spinning out too much in an attempt to apply "Parametric Acceleration" through her left leg extension. Did you see that???

Golfer Grenada's hips do not spin out and she uses her left leg to brace her torso rotation. This allows for a coordinated kinetic energy sequencing to the arms.

Pressel's driving distances have gone down over the 3 years shown, which may indicate that her kinetic sequencing is faulty.

This is my biggest problem with my golf swing, over the last year I've lost a considerable amount of distance with all my clubs. My local pro told me the other day my hips were too far ahead of my hands. Does anyone know any drills to help you feel the right sequence through the DS?

"I see a LOT of flexible players with their hands off their right hip into impact as opposed to off their left hip. It's just simply a matter of their hips turning further. I do not know of any reason why this is a bad thing."

Does anyone know if this is a bad thing? Is it any more 'optimal' for your hands to be off your left hip than right?

S

SteveT

This is my biggest problem with my golf swing, over the last year I've lost a considerable amount of distance with all my clubs. My local pro told me the other day my hips were too far ahead of my hands. Does anyone know any drills to help you feel the right sequence through the DS?

"I see a LOT of flexible players with their hands off their right hip into impact as opposed to off their left hip. It's just simply a matter of their hips turning further. I do not know of any reason why this is a bad thing."

Does anyone know if this is a bad thing? Is it any more 'optimal' for your hands to be off your left hip than right?

Hard to say without viewing your swing ... but for experimental purposes, I suggest you don't lift your right(rear) heel off the ground when into the downswing. This will delay hip unwinding somewhat and give your arms time to drop into the slot. Of course if your arms become stagnant and trapped behind you, then it becomes a torso rotative problem.

See .. I'm guessing because I don't see your swing. Just try these 'tips' for a week and see what happens. You may experience new sensations and your golfswing may get even worse, but that's the risk you take when you want to change things. Your best bet is really a hands-on qualified instructor who can evaluate you up close.

Status
Not open for further replies.