modern vs old swings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteveT

One thing that has helped me is the feeling of having my weight shift synchronized with my downswing, so that my weight shift ends at impact.

I used to have the feeling of all my weight getting on my left foot before impact, and just sitting there waiting on my arms to pass by.

You may have been experiencing hip spin-out too, just like Pressel.

Your rather vertical swing path does not produce extra power, but it does control your D-plane and should provide more accuracy. My swing looks like yours..!!

Btw .. do you take much of a divot, or do you just nip the ball with your short irons??

greenfree

Banned
here is a clip on morgan pressel and with a partial analysis from ms rankin.

what would you tell ms pressel to fix her swing in that video?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqL4XVT0JM8&feature=grec_index[/media]

Too much axis tilt at start down with rotating hips that didn't turn much going back equals too much seperation between upper and lower body,upper body hangs back and lower body unwinds, out of sync, but hey, she's on tour.

here is a clip on morgan pressel and with a partial analysis from ms rankin.

what would you tell ms pressel to fix her swing in that video?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqL4XVT0JM8&feature=grec_index[/media]

I would tell her to get her weight off her left side earlier in her moveaway from the ball. I might say something like "Get to your right so you can get back to your left."

Hard to say without viewing your swing ... but for experimental purposes, I suggest you don't lift your right(rear) heel off the ground when into the downswing. This will delay hip unwinding somewhat and give your arms time to drop into the slot. Of course if your arms become stagnant and trapped behind you, then it becomes a torso rotative problem.

See .. I'm guessing because I don't see your swing. Just try these 'tips' for a week and see what happens. You may experience new sensations and your golfswing may get even worse, but that's the risk you take when you want to change things. Your best bet is really a hands-on qualified instructor who can evaluate you up close.

Yea, I wish I could put my swing up but I don't have any way of doing so. You do mean trying to keep your right heel on the ground until impact correct? This makes sense, after I read this I made some practice swings and I do get on the toes of my right foot quite early.

I know that making changes doesn't necessarily mean instantly improving.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely give it a try.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I think Rob Neal might say she needs weight off the left foot and a bit of slack at the top. I knew she was short off the tee from Trackman data sheets but didnt realize her swing needed that much work. but as someone alluded to earlier, she is on Tour and doing quite well.

ej20

New
Having overactive hips is good only if your shoulders and arms can keep up.Not many can.That's why Hogan and Trevino were so good.They were long hitters for their size.

If your arms are falling behind it might be a good idea to quieten the hips and focus on pivoting just the upper body,trying to get right elbow in front of the belly button at impact without turning the hips.This might feel like a total upper body swing but for people with overactive hips,they might surprise themselves by how good their impact position will look on video.

The pros on tour have their hips very open at impact but they are talented athletes.Handicap golfers will do better to keep their hips a little quieter and be not so open at imapct.

good stuff, guys. keep them coming.

any comment on this video on tiger, how it relates to the pressel issues..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PplQjd6ZP88[/media]

ej20

New

Yup.Tiger has tried to quieten his hips by feeling more activity in his arms.This syncs up the upper and lower body pivot.He still gets plenty of hip action though.

S

SteveT

You do mean trying to keep your right heel on the ground until impact correct? This makes sense, after I read this I made some practice swings and I do get on the toes of my right foot quite early.

Not necessarily until Impact; you can start unloading your weight off your rear right heel without forcing it down ... otherwise the restriction will constrict your body rotation too much. Just hold it down a tad longer than you would normally do.

Not necessarily until Impact; you can start unloading your weight off your rear right heel without forcing it down ... otherwise the restriction will constrict your body rotation too much. Just hold it down a tad longer than you would normally do.

Got it.

S

SteveT

I remember watching this program and the references to the backswing drill that took a year to establish itself ... in fact it took the whole year to modify his golfswing.

Then he went to Haney to undo all the subsequent swing problems ....LOL

Obviously I don't have the talent of Tiger, but this sounds so familiar. I fire the heck out of the hips from the top and the hands lag way behind the right hip. This leads to flipping and either a block push fade or a pull hook.

I'm going to work on speeding up my shoulders on the downswing. We'll see what happens.

Went to the range after work yesterday. I focused on nothing more than feeling more force during the downswing from my shoulders. Shot shape became more consistent, a nice little fade. Initial direction (my bugaboo) became much more predictable. Not perfect, but better, espescially with the longer clubs.

The short irons were poor as usual, but contact quality was better. I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the D plane with any shot, so that is what I attribute my poorer wedge shots to. I have to focus on creating the proper D plane with these clubs, or I just flat out stink with them.

But, most importantly, with 9 iron through driver, there were no double crosses. I can enjoy playing golf like that.
:)

For a female golfer, who has most of her strength in the lower body, her shoulders are way too closed coming into impact, and thus, the angle between her left arm and shaft is thrown away entirely too early. This is where the speed has gone.

Trying to get her to slow down her hips would create huge drop-kick duck hooks. With due respect to Rankin, she is completely mistaken. The last thing you would ever do with a female golfer, tour players included, would be to slow down their lower body.

Just about every golfer that has ever hit the ball a decent distance, has had their hips quite a bit open to the target line at impact.

Pressell needs to let her upper body follow her lower body around and not tilt her right shoulder underneath and cast away the golf club (this is why she has to place the ball so far back in her stance with a driver). Continuing to turn her shoulders to the left will keep the angle between her shoulder and left arm more acute and give her a better chance to hold left arm/shaft angle longer. And then she can "snap" some speed into it at the bottom.

How much more speed? I have no idea, a lot of this has to do with genetics also.

Pressell needs to let her upper body follow her lower body around and not tilt her right shoulder underneath and cast away the golf club (this is why she has to place the ball so far back in her stance with a driver). Continuing to turn her shoulders to the left will keep the angle between her shoulder and left arm more acute and give her a better chance to hold left arm/shaft angle longer. And then she can "snap" some speed into it at the bottom.

i am not sure what you mean by "tilt" and "turn". if she turns without tilt, does that move lead to over the top? thanks.

duck, i cannot understand how one can have problems with short irons but not long clubs...address position perhaps???

Last edited:

natep

New
IIRC shoulder turn and spine tilt need to be equal in terms of degrees to balance each other out. For example, if your shoulders are 30* open to the target line at impact then you need 30* of spine tilt from the vertical to maintain a proper path.

i am not sure what you mean by "tilt" and "turn". if she turns without tilt, does that move lead to over the top? thanks.

duck, i cannot understand how one can have problems with short irons but not long clubs...address position perhaps???

I haven't been able to understand it for a long time, but here's what I think I know now.

We all hit down more on our wedges than we do our long irons. Because we have this negative angle of attack, we must aim more left, swing more left, or manipulate the clubface more open to hit the ball to the target. For me this is very difficult to do. I have always been more accurate (relative to distance, of course) with a three wood off the short tee (0 deg angle of attack) that I can aim straight down the middle and just swing than I am with a lob wedge that I have to adjust my aim or swing a great deal. I would love to learn how to aim/swing my wedges because I would see a drastic drop in my scores.

just use 3 wood for all the shots then, choke it way down for wedge:) just kidding.

my understanding of the d plane is pitiful and have no practical experience to relate. but let me ask you this: with your short iron, do you really consistently hit the ball to the right? i would think, even without knowing anything about d plane, by now, you would have already compensated enough to bring the ball down the middle, by alignment or some inner talent or magic move...

i hope you will find d plane concept as a solid, factual concept, not something that will have a paralyzing effect. it is really not that easy imo to use our naked eyes to gauge couple degrees,,,imho.

just use 3 wood for all the shots then, choke it way down for wedge:) just kidding.

my understanding of the d plane is pitiful and have no practical experience to relate. but let me ask you this: with your short iron, do you really consistently hit the ball to the right? i would think, even without knowing anything about d plane, by now, you would have already compensated enough to bring the ball down the middle, by alignment or some inner talent or magic move...

i hope you will find d plane concept as a solid, factual concept, not something that will have a paralyzing effect. it is really not that easy imo to use our naked eyes to gauge couple degrees,,,imho.

I understand the d plane pretty well, thanks to this site. The main problem I have is that I don't trust my swing. I have to focus on swinging correctly right now and that takes away my focus from creating the proper D plane on a shot. With medium irons, long irons, and fairway woods, the D plane is less affected by Angle of Attack and therefore, it is easier for me to aim straight at my target, swing at my target and get the clubface pointing at my target. Two months ago, my swing was working ok, so I focus only on D plane and shot my best round of the year, and my wedges were the star of the show.

I have two basic shots with my wedges. A dead straight push that usually comes up a bit short and a pull draw that starts off just a hair left of my final target and draws left of the green, pin high or long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.