More hip slide and less beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a couple of views, a DTL and an arse view. DTL is a 7-iron, arse is a driver. Last lesson I got from Brian we worked on more of a NHA pivot so that I can get "my big ass", Brian's words, back to the ball with a better tilt. It looks to me I'm still not getting it Brian. On these swings I felt like Colin Montgomery on the backswing pivot, but still it doesn't look to me like I'm getting it. These swings also felt really short to me on the BS. My goals are to get some feel drills to ingrain the BS pivot and to lose some of that gut and gain some core strength and flexibility. Maybe the transition will get better(I think the transition sucks) and more dynamic, because right now it just ain't workin' and I promise you I'm working hard at it. All thoughts, criticisms welcome. Thoughts on the strength gains and weight loss welcome as well.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k72NL6GyW0s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k72NL6GyW0s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> 7-iron

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZwityE8PLs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZwityE8PLs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Jwat

New
The backswing definitley isn't short, if anything you are past parallel. The swing looks very dynamic to me though. Great turn on the backswing!

greenfree

Banned
VJ. the iron swing looks like your starting from the top and your right shoulder moves outward, causing you to come over it.

The driver looks like you slide past, your head seems to move foward towards the target.
I think they call it getting ahead of it. Just my 2 cents. Do you hit the driver low? I think it would be hard to hit up on the driver from that position if that's what your trying.

Last edited:
Take a look at the 12 second mark and the 13th second mark of the 2nd clip. What do you see as far as axis tilt? Also look at the downstroke pivot action of the hips compared to the shoulders. I would have you concentrate on Zone 1 -with or without a club. If you have a mirror to check the feel of the correct pivot would be helpful.

Take a look at the 12 second mark and the 13th second mark of the 2nd clip. What do you see as far as axis tilt? Also look at the downstroke pivot action of the hips compared to the shoulders. I would have you concentrate on Zone 1 -with or without a club. If you have a mirror to check the feel of the correct pivot would be helpful.

I don't see much axis tilt at all, looks pretty straight up and down at the 12 second mark and then going left on the 13 because of the "overturn", I guess. I guess it's because of too much hip turn too early in the BS? That's what I'm thinking. I might need much more hip slide and feel that I do the slide right away with a feel of no hip turn throughout the BS. I just don't know what it's supposed to look like on camera when I do it correctly from the behind view. I would like to have a checkpoint to tell how much slide is too much slide. Do I get the right hip and right shoulder to line up when I get to the top? feel like I'm all slide no turn and really stand on that right foot at the top? again how much is too much? how do I know. As you said the pivot is killing me and I don't know what I'm looking for so I can't fix it. Thanks for the reply.

Looks like a setup issue. Left hip should be a tad for left spine should tilt away from target. You no setup axis tilt. The link to Kevin Shields driver video a few days ago clearly shows the tilt.

That would give me more hip turn even earlier and "close" my shoulders too much at set-up making it even more difficult for me to get back to the ball. I'm pretty decent at feeling the clubhead throughout the swing. The driver swing gets long(pivot related) then I have to hold off the face from closing a little or I pull hook it off the map. Brian and I worked on a NHA type pivot not NSA.

I might need a "boundry line" to tell if I slide too much on the backswing. A shaft in the ground that I can bump as a checkpoint. Is there such a drill for that I can do? Can you tell I'm worried about too much slide? I'll watch NHA, once more to see if I'm missing something.

greenfree

Banned
I might need a "boundry line" to tell if I slide too much on the backswing. A shaft in the ground that I can bump as a checkpoint. Is there such a drill for that I can do? Can you tell I'm worried about too much slide? I'll watch NHA, once more to see if I'm missing something.

You slide too much on the downswing with the driver you lack rotation to help bring the club around. If your pivot, which by definition means turn, doesn't bring the club around, then your left with over using your hands and arms to bring the club around. They need some help from your downswing pivot, their not getting any.

The iron swing is too much arms and hands at the transition which leads to over top, and there's a lack of downswing pivot. You need to stir your drink a little, if you know what i mean.

Last edited:
You slide too much on the downswing with the driver you lack rotation to help bring the club around. If your pivot, which by definition means turn, doesn't bring the club around, then your left with over using your hands and arms to bring the club around. They need some help from your downswing pivot, their not getting any.

The iron swing is too much arms and hands at the transition and lack of pivot on the downswing.

I'm screwing up the backswing for MY body type and pattern I'm trying to use. Tell me what you see with the iron swing in the leg action on the backswing..I see daylight. Why is that?

To keep from sliding too much, focus on maintaining the angle of the right leg. Putting a shaft in the ground (like you mentioned) on the angle of the right leg should be able to give you some feedback.
I believe Brian talks about this ("resisting" with the angle of the right leg) somewhere in NHA2.

To keep from sliding too much, focus on maintaining the angle of the right leg. Putting a shaft in the ground (like you mentioned) on the angle of the right leg should be able to give you some feedback.
I believe Brian talks about this ("resisting" with the angle of the right leg) somewhere in NHA2.

Thanks lookingtolearn. Would the shaft move if I did that? I you pose the top of the swing do you feel alot of weight on the rear leg, with the rear hip feeling on top of the foot?

greenfree

Banned
Funny, hip turn pulls left leg out and around on the backswing, geez i wonder what it would do to the arms and club after transition on the downswing?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.