MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Maybe, but take a look 9 yards in front of you or picture a 27' putt and thats how much further AP needed to go to break probably the most impressive record in football!!!!

I understand the home team thing, but there's no way that's the most impressive record in football. If OJ had 16 games he mightve crushed that total. There has to be a huge gap between the record holder and second place for that distinction, no? I still can't believe he had the season he did with that injury.....incredible.

I understand the home team thing, but there's no way that's the most impressive record in football. If OJ had 16 games he mightve crushed that total. There has to be a huge gap between the record holder and second place for that distinction, no? I still can't believe he had the season he did with that injury.....incredible.
I see your point but... when OJ or anyone played in those days it was a running league. Todays game is all about the pass. Name one other team who had a back with the potential to rush for 2g. The saints? The patriots? Haha there's no one. Maybe I should have said "coveted" record. But he still didn't get it so it's tough. Of course Im being a homer what else do we have up here right now? It's freezing and everyone is sick fml:p

Erik_K

New
If I had it my way I'd award Co-MVP trophies to both Luck and Griffin. These two teams certainly did better than anyone expected and while Manning also performed very well this year, let's not forget that a) the AFC West is an absolute joke of a division b) TIM TEBOW won that division AND a playoff game with the broncos. Manning provided the extra 'something' to help the Broncos fully reach their potential.

We may never see something like this again - two rookie QBs enter the league and not only play exceptionally well but help their teams get back into the playoffs. How many people thought that the Redskins were going to win the Division? Did anyone think the colts would win more than 6 games? The additions of Luck and Griffin were of enormous benefit to both teams and without them both teams would be lucky crack the 5-7 win mark (the colts nearly lost ALL of their games last season).

If I had it my way I'd award Co-MVP trophies to both Luck and Griffin. These two teams certainly did better than anyone expected and while Manning also performed very well this year, let's not forget that a) the AFC West is an absolute joke of a division b) TIM TEBOW won that division AND a playoff game with the broncos. Manning provided the extra 'something' to help the Broncos fully reach their potential.

We may never see something like this again - two rookie QBs enter the league and not only play exceptionally well but help their teams get back into the playoffs. How many people thought that the Redskins were going to win the Division? Did anyone think the colts would win more than 6 games? The additions of Luck and Griffin were of enormous benefit to both teams and without them both teams would be lucky crack the 5-7 win mark (the colts nearly lost ALL of their games last season).

Don't forget about Russell Wilson.

I don't care if Erik_K lives in the D.C. area. He's right!

Erik_K

New
Guys, guys you will most likely see two draft picks change there teams again. 2,097 yards rushing not likely.

2000+ yard rushers are indeed rare, but we've seen it before and we will see it again. It's actually happened 4x since 1997. You need the right blend of ingredients to nail 2000+ and perhaps break the single season rushing record - a durable back, a run first offense, and a head coach who is probably very conservative (on offense). It's been a passing league for quite some time and owners/fans want excitement, not a chance to break some 20+ year old rushing stat.

Of course we are going to see picks have a marked impact on their respective teams. You can very easily add Peterson to the discussion - maybe even award him Offensive Player of the Year. Clearly he is very valuable and if he wasn't the center piece of the offense the Vikings would probably have won 7 games or something. Considering his injury and lack of other weapons on offense (defenses just loading up the box down after down) he still busts off huge runs over and over.

Still, I stand by earlier statement. Luck and Griffin (Wilson too for that matter) simply make everyone around them better. They've elevated their respective offenses to levels that no one anticipated. If I had to choose one, I'd probably give it to Luck.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

I agree Erik, but I also think it shows how far the quality of play has dropped in the NFL that rookie QBs can come in and make an immediate impact. Totally watered down league.

I agree Erik, but I also think it shows how far the quality of play has dropped in the NFL that rookie QBs can come in and make an immediate impact. Totally watered down league.

Ah geez. This coming from a Steelers fan who probably thinks that his team is entitled to league domination. I say: parity is way preferable. So much more exciting. Aren't TV ratings, profitability, etc. way up now that more that just the 49ers and Cowboys have a chance of winning the Super Bowl?

It also seems to me that the NFL now has more quarterbacks that you could call "excellent" than there were during the Eighties and Nineties. I think the move toward parity has been a very smart move.

I would give it to AP and I am a Packers fan. Without AP, the Vikings are nowhere and he has done what few are capable of especially considering the lack of talent around him.

When a guy can run for that many yards when everyone in the stadium knows where the ball is going is ridiculous.

The rookie QBs are a huge stretch. It is a QBs league now with the defensive rule changes and to be the MVP at the QB position you have to be something pretty damn special. Would I vote for those guys as a team MVP, surely... but you can't be a league MVP when 10 other guys can do what you do if not better.

Status
Not open for further replies.