MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Ah geez. This coming from a Steelers fan who probably thinks that his team is entitled to league domination. I say: parity is way preferable. So much more exciting. Aren't TV ratings, profitability, etc. way up now that more that just the 49ers and Cowboys have a chance of winning the Super Bowl?

It also seems to me that the NFL now has more quarterbacks that you could call "excellent" than there were during the Eighties and Nineties. I think the move toward parity has been a very smart move.

Parity and mediocrity sucks if you like a good product. You need a dominant team and they don't have one. And no, there aren't more excellent quarterbacks, maybe better athletes, but not better quarterbacks. Just my opinion.

And, yes, AP should be a lock IMO

2000+ yard rushers are indeed rare, but we've seen it before and we will see it again. It's actually happened 4x since 1997. You need the right blend of ingredients to nail 2000+ and perhaps break the single season rushing record - a durable back, a run first offense, and a head coach who is probably very conservative (on offense). It's been a passing league for quite some time and owners/fans want excitement, not a chance to break some 20+ year old rushing stat.

Of course we are going to see picks have a marked impact on their respective teams. You can very easily add Peterson to the discussion - maybe even award him Offensive Player of the Year. Clearly he is very valuable and if he wasn't the center piece of the offense the Vikings would probably have won 7 games or something. Considering his injury and lack of other weapons on offense (defenses just loading up the box down after down) he still busts off huge runs over and over.

Still, I stand by earlier statement. Luck and Griffin (Wilson too for that matter) simply make everyone around them better. They've elevated their respective offenses to levels that no one anticipated. If I had to choose one, I'd probably give it to Luck.

QB's with a QB rating of 76.5 don't win League MVP's....say what you want about the QB rating stat.

I like to think of an MVP as, if you took this player off the team, how good would they be?
I would have to vote Peterson. Denver would have probably made the playoffs without Manning, in that division. RGIII? Cousins did a good job when he was out so I think their record would be the close to the same without RGC3PO.

ROLL TIDE

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I agree Erik, but I also think it shows how far the quality of play has dropped in the NFL that rookie QBs can come in and make an immediate impact. Totally watered down league.

It isn't as simple as that. The pro game is becoming more college like and the college game is becoming more pro like; this leads to much more prepared "special" rookies who can come in and compete. Also, part of the reason of success of those QB's are the coaches/coordinators adapting to their playing style. It's no coincidence that Newton suffered the curse of the sophomore slump when they decided to try and make him more of a "pro style" pocket passer in his second year. It negated all the other good things he did the previous year.

Also, to expand on how much more prepared "special rookie" QB's are you have to look at the junior levels too. Football and the NFL over the X amount of years (not sure how many) has become a year round thing for those athletes that appear to have pro potential. Most people credit the nationwide 7 on 7 leagues for this.

The league isn't water downed, you want to look at a water downed league look at the NBA.

Don't be too hard on Kevin. He's just reaching for excuses because the Steelers didn't make the playoffs this year. :)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
It isn't as simple as that. The pro game is becoming more college like and the college game is becoming more pro like; this leads to much more prepared "special" rookies who can come in and compete. Also, part of the reason of success of those QB's are the coaches/coordinators adapting to their playing style. It's no coincidence that Newton suffered the curse of the sophomore slump when they decided to try and make him more of a "pro style" pocket passer in his second year. It negated all the other good things he did the previous year.

Also, to expand on how much more prepared "special rookie" QB's are you have to look at the junior levels too. Football and the NFL over the X amount of years (not sure how many) has become a year round thing for those athletes that appear to have pro potential. Most people credit the nationwide 7 on 7 leagues for this.

The league isn't water downed, you want to look at a water downed league look at the NBA.

Totally agree about the NBA

AP should win this running away. That team doesn't even sniff the playoffs without him. Denver made it last year with a QB who isn't even good enough to start on a 6-10 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.