My 10 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bts

New
"which are the things that people misunderstand and yet are crucial... the thing s the golf magazines never teach?" Sorry, no prize to be given away here.

1. Why do the majority of the beginners hit slices?

2. Why are the images of peoples' swings different from what they imagine?

3. Why can't people take their games to the golf courses?

4. Why do people miss a 3(or even shorter)-footer?

5. Why can't people swing like Tiger, despite they watch his swing over and over and know exactly what it's like?

6. Why do people slip back to their old swings after taking lessons?

7. Why can't people hit it longer with a harder swing?

8. Why do people hit it into the hazards they try to avoid, but not the target they anticipate?

9. Why can't people repeat their best drives?

10. Why do "people hack, just like they eat, have sex and sleep"?

good questions...

"which are the things that people misunderstand and yet are crucial... the thing s the golf magazines never teach?"
Sorry, no prize to be given away here.

nobody believes that swinging from the inside through the impact interval will send the ball straight... a swing path that looks like straight back and through is an illusion and is actually out-to-in... and they would never have thought of putting their left heel-pad ontop of shaft so grip is often super weak!

5. Why can't people swing like Tiger, despite they watch his swing over and over and know exactly what it's like?

Human nature has self dilusion built in...We have little idead of what our bodies actually do sometimes...If we knew what we actually looked like having sex or playing golf it would scare the #@&! out of us... all these things need to be videod alot more:rolleyes: ... ans many more mirrors around the place... walls, ceilings etc... lot more feedback

For the same reason that being good at "swingball" does not a Wimbledon champion make

They can't hit the ball straight, they can't aim, they can't read greens... they have no idea of what should happen or what they are actually doing...

They do not want to change enough...

They can hit it harder with a harder swing... but they never swing when they "hit it harder"...

8. Why do people hit it into the hazards they try to avoid, but not the target they anticipate?

They have no control of what they are thinking or doing and no idea of what they want to do anyway... plus their mothers never loved them!

Because they are rarely trying to repeat their best drives ... they are usually trying to better them!... see "swing harder" above....[/QUOTE]

THE QUESTIONS:

I'm answering based on things that golf mags don't teach, cuz that's where most beginners learn the basics I think,,,

1. Even though most mags demonstrate a decent grip, most beginners don't have the discipline to use it because "it feels weird"

2. Mags don't describe to the reader how their body should look/feel (while addressing or swinging) in specific positions or alignments.

3. People do, your question assumes they have "game" at the range or somewhere else. Golf is played at the course, period.

4. Pros miss them as well, just less often. Mags don't have consistent instruction on this or most other aspects.

5. Mags don't teach natural talent. Why don't people play guitar like Jimi Hendrix after watching him all day?

6. They don't take enough lessons or practice the drills enough, or their teacher sucks.

7. Poor impact.

8. Mags don't do a good job describing how the mind functions best and how it interprets "dos" from "don'ts".

9. Cause their best drives are usually a fluke, they have little problem repeating their avg. drive.

10. This one, IMO comes down to talent. I think you find that sound golfers are usually good at most other sport that require good hand-eye coordination and vice versa for hackers.

"which are the things that people misunderstand and yet are crucial... the thing s the golf magazines never teach?" Sorry, no prize to be given away here.

Because they are trying to kill the ball

They've got no imagination....

Cos the kids weill be bored at home while they are away..

they are too easy...

They are not Tiger..

they've had crap lessons...

They are trying to do it the hard way..

Because they anticipate hitting into the hazard...

It's rude to burp...

What's sex and sleep?....

Last edited:

1. illusions
2. the human condition
3. line, distance, and hazards
4. the human being is not a machine, whether we like it or not
5. the human condition
6. the human condition
7. compression leakage
8. see #3
9. the human condition
10. wtf are you talking about?:)

Chris Sturgess

Those are AWESOME questions bts, I wish I wasn't going somewhere in about 30 seconds so I could throw out some answers, will do that later.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You want the truth? Can you HANDLE the TRUTH??

When a new golfer grips the club, they rarely—if ever—put the heel pad on top. Most every new golfer has played baseball or a similar stick game and can generate speed, but never have dealt with a clubface. I'll bet big money that ex-hockey players slice less than ex-baseballers.

So when this new golfer swings at the ball—usually with a driver—they generate force and decent lag, and sometimes even get their "hands to the ball." But the clubface is open, and they hit a big slice. They see the ball curve left, and then do all the things the rest of the golf business think CAUSE the slice, like hang-back on the right foot, come over the top, etc.

That's why I did NEVER SLICE AGAIN. One day, once the book version is out, that book and DVD will be discussed forever as the one that finally cured a sickness that has ruined the game for many a golfer, but hasn't existed on my lesson tee for many a year.

They have an image in their head of a golf swing that is propbably pretty decent looking. But, becuase they have TERRIBLE CLUBFACE CONTROL they make all sorts of goofy compensations to make the ball go from A-to-B.

Then they look at this jury-rigged compensated pass-at-the-ball on video, and they want to vomit.

This answer is EXACTLY the same answer to the question: "Why are golfer's practice swings 'better' than their real ones?"

Because their "range" compensations are based on non-changing surroundings, the last ball that was 30 seconds ago, solid contact, feel for the shaft loading/MOI feel, a vague target, and more about WHAT they are doing.

On the course, their compensations are based on the EVER changing surroundings, a last ball that was 5 minutes ago, line/distance/and hazard, a different club's new shaft loading/MOI feel, precise target, and more about WHERE they are trying TO and NOT TO hit it.

Because they make a stroke that basically is an ON-PLANE (or arc) stroke going back, which an opening clubface, and then on the downstroke they STEER to this very close precise target and make a stroke that "walks-off" the plane and even with a flip, often doesn't square the face up.

Or they anticipate the above and flip it early with an assist from a jerking-open shoulder line.

Because VERY DAMN FEW TEACHERS are trying to get their student to swing anything like Tiger.

Give me last years Wide Reciever corp from LSU, and in a month, I'll make you sonme DAMN GOOD copies.

Also, unless you are built like Tiger, and are as strong/flexibile as he is, it just won't look like him.

SHORT ANSWER: They get better results with their old swing.

Also, if the teacher is just a "line-drawer" they fail to realize that they have to plane a seed that BLOWS UP the old poor movements.

That's one thing that I am the only teacher I have ever heard talk about.

The teacher also REALLY HAS TO TEACH, not just TELL THEM to do it and offer a bunch a stupid drills.

GET IN THERE TEACHERS! GET SWEATY! MAKE YOUR STUDENTS FEEL IT! TRY TO FIGURE OUT WHY THEY AREN'T DOING IT! CUSTOMIZE YOU DAMN APPROACH FOR THAT PARTICULAR LESSON AND THAT PARTICULAR STUDENT ON THAT PARTICULAR DAY! SAY IT DIFFERENT! WORK! DON'T SIT! TRY! TRY 100%!

Their "regular" swings are based on "timed compensations." Any attempt at a much slower or faster speed disrupt the compensations.

Plus, the club they are swinging was "fit" to them at their regular speed.

Also, the shaft stress and un-stress is somewhat dependent on SUSTAINING THE THRUST from the top for a time. This is why sometime a "slower" swing will produce more distance and and a faster one won't.

They have NO CLUBFACE CONTROL. They STEER away from trouble with their PATH, but not their clubface. So the ball curves FARTHER TOWARD the target!

It was a total accident of perfectly timed compensations. The better a golf swing is FOR A PARTICULAR GOLFER, the less THEY have to compensate, and the more they will SEEM to repeat it.

Key phrase: FOR THEM.

When I eat correctly, I feel better, lose weight and feel plenty full. When my bedroom game is on, I get my work done well. When I sleep good, I do it in very cold rooms, and even better on very good beds.

Everyone of those skills I learned from practice, study, and trial and error.

Golfers try hard, and some practice hard, but they are doing it with carppy information that even if it is good, is not customized enough.

People who do those other things poorly, haven't done their homework, or really tried to improve.

That's why ALL THE TALK ABOUT WHO IS REALLY THE BEST TEACHER, OUGHT TO BE BASED ON WHO CAN REALLY TEACH THE MOST PEOPLE THE BEST. But, nobody want to show up for a teach-off, marketing is much easier.

Question 6

Brian:

I think the answer to number 6 goes a little deeper. If people have been playing golf for a while their nervous system has been hardwired with their present swing. They take a lesson and change, but if they do not get a lot of feedback and correction as they practice they will gradually move back to the pattern that feels comfortable and correct to them.

To make changes in a swing pattern takes time and effortI see far too many people practicing sloppily, just hitting balls with minimal thought about what they are doing. It takes diligence and concentration when practicing to make the changes permanent. Just going through the motions will accomplish little except wasting time. I think it was Vince Lombardi that said - Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. John Wooden said don't mistake activity for achievement, practice things the right way. To truly improve practice must be correct and purposeful.

Brian, you are an excellent teacher and I have benefited from taking lessons from you. Before I have left you made sure the I know what the changes are and what they should feel like. When I have left after a lesson there is no doubt in my mind what I need to work on.

good points on why players slip back to old habits.

Do you think that the current style of lesson is part of the problem??

Most lessons are 30 minutes... often told to then come back NO SOONER than3-4 weeks later ... ie. it will take 3-4 weeks to ingrain that change so why bother come back until you got that sorted...

BIG PROBLEM is then that you get no feedback for 3-4 weeks.... and the results with the "changes" are lousy so you end up going back to square one...

It may be more effective to give 10 free "5 minute lessons " with every Hour of lesson ( or 5 lessons with every 1/2 hour). The 5 minute lessons have to be taken during the folloing 2-3 weeks... Just a way of keeping the changes under supervision... obviously they are no not "free" just charge a bit more for the original lesson.

That way practice is monitored.

OR just lots of 10 minutes lessons for better players who just need a nudge in right direction...

I think the pay structure and lesson tradition needs overhauling.

bts

New
Great answers.

Thanks for the input.

My short answer for the questions 1-9 is: because they HACK.

My short one for no. 10 is: because they just can't help.

How do you help something "can't help"?

Will post longer version later.

Chris Sturgess

The weak grip is common and makes them slice, but even when beginners have a neutral or strong grip they mostly all still slice because they hit at the ball with their hands and don't use their body at all let alone correctly. So that accounts for pulls, but in addition to that they grip it really tight and don't allow their hands to release hardly at all so that keeps the clubface open.

Because you can't see yourself swing and good body awareness is not easy for most people.
Because on the course where the ball goes matters, and most people cower under pressure. This is why most people play well when they "don't care."
Same answer as 3.

Physical differences aside, which aren't actually that big of a deal unless extreme, it's the same reason as the video tape thing. They don't know what they are doing just based on body awareness.

One reason is because over time they forget, but another big one is that even though the lesson made sense and was working even, it's uncomfortable to do something new in a lot of cases. And a lot of people can't tough out the discomfort.

Because swinger harder usually results in swinging less coordinated. People tend to swing their body/hands harder but what actually matters is that the clubhead is swinging harder, and that maxes out in a pretty graceful body movement.

Because they are thinking something like "don't hit it in the hazard" and subconsciously the word don't doesn't really exist so they basically just told themselves "hit it in the hazard."

Because their best drives were a fluke and they don't know why.

Not sure what youre asking here.

bts

New
My answers.

"which are the things that people misunderstand and yet are crucial... the things the golf magazines never teach?" Sorry, no prize to be given away here.

Because they intend to hack (or steer) the ball straight in the air, which can be fixed (or justified) by asking them do the opposite (like slightly right on the ground). So, there is obviously a discrepency between what they intend to do and what they expect to happen, which mostly are the opposite in golf.

Because, unlike picking up a coffee cup, there is a huge discrepency between what they intend to do and what actually happens. The original intention (what people can't see) sets off a chain reaction (what they see). When people try to do any of what they see (which is not the original intent), it sets off another chain reaction. Wish Tiger could tell us his intent.

Because they share different intents on a golf course, which involves targets, hazards, scores, ego and competitions, from off a golf course. Different intent leads to different performance. Besides, they hack (or steer) more on the golf course. That's what the game is all about, isn't it?

Because they intend to hack (or steer) the ball into the hole (three feet, or shorter, away). They no longer swing while hacking.

Because they have their own interpretations of sending a golf ball to the target with a golf club, which normally is hacking and, once established, is very difficult to be converted.

Because they actually intend to hack (or steer) the ball farther, which distrupts the swing. In other words, they attach more to the result than what they are supposed to do.

Because they intend to hack (or steer) the ball away from the hazards or toward the target, which, in fact, produces the opposite effect.

Because it's an accident, which they didn't anticipate and it happened too fast. They have no idea how to repeat it, other than trying to make the result happen again.

Because they just can't help, it's human instinct. They eat when they're hungry, make love when they're in the mood and sleep when they're tired. They hack when they want to send the ball to the target.

Can you help something "can't help"? I'm not sure, but believe it's very difficult, if it's not impossible. It's up to themselves to deatch from that "instinct" or not.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator

"The weak grip is common and makes them slice, but even when beginners have a neutral or strong grip they mostly all still slice because they hit at the ball with their hands and don't use their body at all let alone correctly. So that accounts for pulls, but in addition to that they grip it really tight and don't allow their hands to release hardly at all so that keeps the clubface open."

"Because they intend to hack (or steer) the ball straight in the air, which can be fixed (or justified) by asking them do the opposite (like slightly right on the ground). So, there is obviously a discrepency between what they intend to do and what they expect to happen, which mostly are the opposite in golf."

:mad: :p :( :eek:

1. So, why do the majority of the beginners and regular golfers STILL hit slices?

See above.

Guys:

FIX THE CLUBFACE.

FIX THE C-L-U-B-F-A-C-E.

FIX IT AT ADDRESS: So it isn't open

FIX IT GOING BACK: So it doesn't get too open

FIX IT AT THE TOP: So it isn't TOO open.

FIX IT COMING DOWN: So it doesn't get further open or doesn't square up.

FIX IT AT RELEASE POINT: So that it isn't so open that they CAN'T square it up.

FIX IT AT SEPARATION: So that is isn't open.

FIX IT IN THE FOLLOW-THROUGH: SO THAT IT DIDN'T GET OPEN.

FIX IT IN THE FINISH SWIVEL: So you can be damn sure you didn't miss one of the above.

:)

"The weak grip is common and makes them slice, but even when beginners have a neutral or strong grip they mostly all still slice because they hit at the ball with their hands and don't use their body at all let alone correctly. So that accounts for pulls, but in addition to that they grip it really tight and don't allow their hands to release hardly at all so that keeps the clubface open."

"Because they intend to hack (or steer) the ball straight in the air, which can be fixed (or justified) by asking them do the opposite (like slightly right on the ground). So, there is obviously a discrepency between what they intend to do and what they expect to happen, which mostly are the opposite in golf."

1. So, why do the majority of the beginners and regular golfers STILL hit slices?

See above.

Guys:

FIX THE CLUBFACE.

FIX THE C-L-U-B-F-A-C-E.

FIX IT AT ADDRESS: So it isn't open

FIX IT GOING BACK: So it doesn't get too open

FIX IT AT THE TOP: So it isn't TOO open.

FIX IT COMING DOWN: So it doesn't get further open or doesn't square up.

FIX IT AT RELEASE POINT: So that it isn't so open that they CAN'T square it up.

FIX IT AT SEPARATION: So that is isn't open.

FIX IT IN THE FOLLOW-THROUGH: SO THAT IT DIDN'T GET OPEN.

FIX IT IN THE FINISH SWIVEL: So you can be damn sure you didn't miss one of the above.

:)

there's a lot of time and cash in that post......

bts

New
Fix the intent.

See above.

Because they still HACK.

Sorry Guys, no any disrespect here:

Fix the HACKING intent, so you no longer have to
FIX THE CLUBFACE.
FIX THE C-L-U-B-F-A-C-E.
Because the LAW will take care of it.

FIX IT AT ADDRESS: Because the LAW will take care of it.
So it isn't open

FIX IT GOING BACK: Because the LAW will take care of it.
So it doesn't get too open

FIX IT AT THE TOP: Because the LAW will take care of it.
So it isn't TOO open.

FIX IT COMING DOWN: Because the LAW will take care of it.
So it doesn't get further open or doesn't square up.

FIX IT AT RELEASE POINT: Because the LAW will take care of it.
So that it isn't so open that they CAN'T square it up.

FIX IT AT SEPARATION: Because the LAW will take care of it.
So that is isn't open.

FIX IT IN THE FOLLOW-THROUGH: Because the LAW will take care of it.
SO THAT IT DIDN'T GET OPEN.

FIX IT IN THE FINISH SWIVEL: Because the LAW will take care of it.
So you can be damn sure you didn't miss one of the above.

Fix the life style and eating habit, so you no longer have to
TAKE THE PAIN RELIEFER. Because the Body will take care of it, so you don't get headache any more.

Last edited:

bts

New
Nice thought

QUOTE=Chris Sturgess;93191

The weak grip is common and makes them slice, but even when beginners have a neutral or strong grip they mostly all still slice because they hit at the ball with their hands and don't use their body at all let alone correctly. So that accounts for pulls, but in addition to that they grip it really tight and don't allow their hands to release hardly at all so that keeps the clubface open.
I believe they "steer" the club toward their target (straight in the air) in respond to their purpose, so the club is tried to be hold on the target line early during the down swing to try to make it straight(which leaves the clubhead path outside-in toward impact later on) and the clubface is either left open (because "they grip it really tight and don't allow their hands to release hardly at all so that keeps the clubface open" to try to keep it square) or opening to scoop the ball in the air, a "vertical hinge action". Other than that, in resopnd to the same intent, they also tend to hit it fat or thin and show "chicken wing". On top of those, they want to hit it far (or everyone), and show "throwaway".

Because you can't see yourself swing and good body awareness is not easy for most people.
A mirror certainly helps a lot. But, it slips back without a mirror. As I mentioned in my answer, the golf swing is a chain reaction, in which the downstream body movements (the "effect" which can be seem) result from the upstream command (the "cause" which can't be seem) given by people. People intuitively try to get what they see by doing what they see. In other words, they try to get the "effect" by doing the "effect", which in fact will cause other "effect". Such impact normally is not significant enough to cause problem for daily regular less complex tasks (that's why you don't need to learn everything to run your daily life). In golf or other more professionally demanded tasks, however, that's causes a problem.

Because on the course where the ball goes matters, and most people cower under pressure. This is why most people play well when they "don't care."
I believe so. Their concern on things no need to be concerned at execution interferes the execution. Also refer to my answer and others'.

Same answer as 3.
So they compensate.

Physical differences aside, which aren't actually that big of a deal unless extreme, it's the same reason as the video tape thing. They don't know what they are doing just based on body awareness.
Same as No.2.

One reason is because over time they forget, but another big one is that even though the lesson made sense and was working even, it's uncomfortable to do something new in a lot of cases. And a lot of people can't tough out the discomfort.
It's tough to change an established point of view or habit, which runs the action.

Because swinger harder usually results in swinging less coordinated. People tend to swing their body/hands harder but what actually matters is that the clubhead is swinging harder, and that maxes out in a pretty graceful body movement.
Agree. Getting A doesn't necessarily by doing A.

Because they are thinking something like "don't hit it in the hazard" and subconsciously the word don't doesn't really exist so they basically just told themselves "hit it in the hazard."
Refer my answer and others'.

Because their best drives were a fluke and they don't know why.
Agree.

Not sure what youre asking here.
Sorry, hope you are now.

Thanks again for your input. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.