My 10 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bts

New
You certainly know it.

My response in blue:

QUOTE=Brian Manzella;93081

1. Why do the majority of the beginners hit slices?

When a new golfer grips the club, they rarely—if ever—put the heel pad on top. Most every new golfer has played baseball or a similar stick game and can generate speed, but never have dealt with a clubface. I'll bet big money that ex-hockey players slice less than ex-baseballers.

So when this new golfer swings at the ball—usually with a driver—they generate force and decent lag, and sometimes even get their "hands to the ball." But the clubface is open, (That is the "effect", too, which doesn't explain why it's open or what causes it open. Will they keep slicing with a closed-face club? Will "close the clubface" fix the rest of the interesting moves?)and they hit a big slice. They see the ball curve left, and then do all the things the rest of the golf business think CAUSE the slice, like hang-back on the right foot, come over the top, etc.

That's why I did NEVER SLICE AGAIN. One day, once the book version is out, that book and DVD will be discussed forever as the one that finally cured a sickness that has ruined the game for many a golfer, but hasn't existed on my lesson tee for many a year.

2. Why are the images of peoples' swings different from what they imagine?

They have an image in their head of a golf swing that is propbably pretty decent looking. But, becuase they have TERRIBLE CLUBFACE CONTROL they make all sorts of goofy compensations to make the ball go from A-to-B.(Is this also true if they swing without a club, which takes the clubface control out of the picture?)

Then they look at this jury-rigged compensated pass-at-the-ball on video, and they want to vomit.

This answer is EXACTLY the same answer to the question: "Why are golfer's practice swings 'better' than their real ones?"

3. Why can't people take their games to the golf courses?

Because their "range" compensations are based on non-changing surroundings, the last ball that was 30 seconds ago, solid contact, feel for the shaft loading/MOI feel, a vague target, and more about WHAT they are doing.

On the course, their compensations are based on the EVER changing surroundings, a last ball that was 5 minutes ago, line/distance/and hazard, a different club's new shaft loading/MOI feel, precise target, and more about WHERE they are trying TO and NOT TO hit it.(Good point)

4. Why do people miss a 3(or even shorter)-footer?

Because they make a stroke that basically is an ON-PLANE (or arc) stroke going back, which an opening clubface, and then on the downstroke they STEER to this very close precise target and make a stroke that "walks-off" the plane and even with a flip, often doesn't square the face up.

Or they anticipate the above and flip it early with an assist from a jerking-open shoulder line.
(Agree.)

5. Why can't people swing like Tiger, despite they watch his swing over and over and know exactly what it's like?

Because VERY DAMN FEW TEACHERS are trying to get their student to swing anything like Tiger. (Not sure about the reason why, if it's such popular?)

Give me last years Wide Reciever corp from LSU, and in a month, I'll make you sonme DAMN GOOD copies. (Sure you can. I also believe it can be accomplished on regular people with the right "swing though" in less than that.)

Also, unless you are built like Tiger, and are as strong/flexibile as he is, it just won't look like him.

6. Why do people slip back to their old swings after taking lessons?

SHORT ANSWER: They get better results with their old swing.(Don't the teacher make sure they get better results than those with their old swing?)

Also, if the teacher is just a "line-drawer" they fail to realize that they have to plane a seed that BLOWS UP the old poor movements.(I believe they did. It's the student who makes it no chance to grow.)

That's one thing that I am the only teacher I have ever heard talk about.

The teacher also REALLY HAS TO TEACH, not just TELL THEM to do it and offer a bunch a stupid drills.

GET IN THERE TEACHERS! GET SWEATY! MAKE YOUR STUDENTS FEEL IT! TRY TO FIGURE OUT WHY THEY AREN'T DOING IT! CUSTOMIZE YOU DAMN APPROACH FOR THAT PARTICULAR LESSON AND THAT PARTICULAR STUDENT ON THAT PARTICULAR DAY! SAY IT DIFFERENT! WORK! DON'T SIT! TRY! TRY 100%!

7. Why can't people hit it longer with a harder swing?

Their "regular" swings are based on "timed compensations." Any attempt at a much slower or faster speed disrupt the compensations.(Good point.)

Plus, the club they are swinging was "fit" to them at their regular speed.(Will they make it with a "higher speed" club?)

Also, the shaft stress and un-stress is somewhat dependent on SUSTAINING THE THRUST from the top for a time. This is why sometime a "slower" swing will produce more distance and and a faster one won't.

8. Why do people hit it into the hazards they try to avoid, but not the target they anticipate?

They have NO CLUBFACE CONTROL. (Or just no control?)They STEER away from trouble (Brillian here.)with their PATH, but not their clubface. So the ball curves FARTHER TOWARD the target!(Including hooking the ball?)

9. Why can't people repeat their best drives?

It was a total accident of perfectly timed compensations. The better a golf swing is FOR A PARTICULAR GOLFER, the less THEY have to compensate, and the more they will SEEM to repeat it.

Key phrase: FOR THEM.

10. Why do "people hack, just like they eat, have sex and sleep"?

When I eat correctly, I feel better, lose weight and feel plenty full. When my bedroom game is on, I get my work done well. When I sleep good, I do it in very cold rooms, and even better on very good beds.

Everyone of those skills I learned from practice, study, and trial and error.

Golfers try hard, and some practice hard, but they are doing it with carppy information that even if it is good, is not customized enough.

People who do those other things poorly, haven't done their homework, or really tried to improve.

That's why ALL THE TALK ABOUT WHO IS REALLY THE BEST TEACHER, OUGHT TO BE BASED ON WHO CAN REALLY TEACH THE MOST PEOPLE THE BEST. But, nobody want to show up for a teach-off,(I'll do it.) marketing is much easier.

(I appreciate your time and effort in responding to the question. The members certainly benifit from it a lot. )

bts

New
So, is it all mental?

1. illusions
2. the human condition
3. line, distance, and hazards
4. the human being is not a machine, whether we like it or not
5. the human condition
6. the human condition
7. compression leakage
8. see #3
9. the human condition
10. wtf are you talking about?:)

Can "the human condition" be fixed? If so, how?

bts

New
good effort

QUOTE=Sonic_Doom;93036

I'm answering based on things that golf mags don't teach, cuz that's where most beginners learn the basics I think,,,

1. Even though most mags demonstrate a decent grip, most beginners don't have the discipline to use it because "it feels weird"(True, as well. Will they improve if they use it?)

2. Mags don't describe to the reader how their body should look/feel (while addressing or swinging) in specific positions or alignments. (Again, if they do, will the golfer make it?.)

3. People do, your question assumes they have "game" at the range or somewhere else. Golf is played at the course, period.(I mean the skills to handle the course condition.)

4. Pros miss them as well(especially under pressure situation. Why?), just less often. Mags don't have consistent instruction on this or most other aspects.

5. Mags don't teach natural talent. Why don't people play guitar like Jimi Hendrix after watching him all day?

6. They don't take enough lessons or practice the drills enough, or their teacher sucks.(Some do, even more, but still slip back. Why?)

7. Poor impact. (Geometrically or physically? I guess both.)

8. Mags don't do a good job describing how the mind functions best and how it interprets "dos" from "don'ts".(Agree. So do most of the instruction)

9. Cause their best drives are usually a fluke, they have little problem repeating their avg. drive. (Agree.)

10. This one, IMO comes down to talent. I think you find that sound golfers are usually good at most other sport that require good hand-eye coordination and vice versa for hackers.(Sorry, must be my question.)

bts

New
Great insight

QUOTE=golfbulldog;93032

"which are the things that people misunderstand and yet are crucial... the thing s the golf magazines never teach?"
Sorry, no prize to be given away here.

1. Why do the majority of the beginners hit slices?

nobody believes that swinging from the inside through the impact interval will send the ball straight... a swing path that looks like straight back and through is an illusion and is actually out-to-in... and they would never have thought of putting their left heel-pad ontop of shaft so grip is often super weak!(Excellent. Any idea to the open clubface?)

2. Why are the images of peoples' swings different from what they imagine?

10. Why do "people hack, just like they eat, have sex and sleep"?

5. Why can't people swing like Tiger, despite they watch his swing over and over and know exactly what it's like?

Human nature has self dilusion built in...We have little idead of what our bodies actually do sometimes...If we knew what we actually looked like having sex or playing golf it would scare the #@&! out of us... all these things need to be videod alot more:rolleyes: ... ans many more mirrors around the place... walls, ceilings etc... lot more feedback(It certainly helps a lot.)

3. Why can't people take their games to the golf courses?

For the same reason that being good at "swingball" does not a Wimbledon champion make

4. Why do people miss a 3(or even shorter)-footer?

They can't hit the ball straight, they can't aim, they can't read greens... they have no idea of what should happen or what they are actually doing... (Why can't they? It's only 3 (or shorter) away!)

6. Why do people slip back to their old swings after taking lessons?

They do not want to change enough...(Why not, unless the change leads to problem?)

7. Why can't people hit it longer with a harder swing?

They can hit it harder with a harder swing... but they never swing when they "hit it harder"...(Bingo!!)

8. Why do people hit it into the hazards they try to avoid, but not the target they anticipate?

They have no control of what they are thinking or doing and no idea of what they want to do anyway(Agree.)... plus their mothers never loved them!(Very interesting. A study worth to persuit.)

9. Why can't people repeat their best drives?

Because they are rarely trying to repeat their best drives ... they are usually trying to better them!... see "swing harder" above....

(Thanks for the input, which is deep and interesting, too.)

QUOTE=Sonic_Doom;93036

1. Even though most mags demonstrate a decent grip, most beginners don't have the discipline to use it because "it feels weird"(True, as well. Will they improve if they use it?) Its one less thing to compensate for

3. People do, your question assumes they have "game" at the range or somewhere else. Golf is played at the course, period.(I mean the skills to handle the course condition.) But you can't develop those skills at the range

4. Pros miss them as well(especially under pressure situation. Why?), just less often. Mags don't have consistent instruction on this or most other aspects. Do we know for certain they miss more pressure putts than otherwise?

Status
Not open for further replies.