Natural mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
cdog,

A rock on a string is a good tool for demoing centripetal force, but is NOT a good swing model, because one of the things you do in the golf stroke is BEND THE SHAFT.

MJ, I am going to stay out of the 'pendulum' debate, but regarding the rock on a string, my interpretation is that the rock on a string represents the sweet-spot plane, not the shaft. The string stays taut, as does the line drawn between the #3 PP and the clubface sweet-spot. A bending clubshaft should not invalidate the analogy. Am I wrong?

Triad,

I have seen that mentioned before, but what bothers me about it is that as the shaft bends, the distance between #3 PP and the sweetspot shortens.

And, what about hitting? How do you push against a string? I use hitting for all chipping, putting, and many less than full power shots.

cdog,

I've never used one. And I'm skeptical about it's usefulness. If, for example, a player optimizes his equipment with a launch monitor or other techniques, and arrives at, say, a Rifle 6.5 shaft, how in the world could using a flex like a fly rod help? I'm pretty sure you would have to change your tempo/timing to hit clean crisp shots.

cdog

New
Joe, its usefulness only comes about if you use a pure swinging motion, its not a tool for hitters. The reason i bring it up is because of the way it must be used to keep the saft straight. If it has any bend in it, the ball curves, so it will teach you (if you let it, i seem to have a problem letting it)how to stress the shaft length wise, Swinging.
Thos os one of the many things i dont understand, shaft flex, if we are hitting in any way, i can see flex playing a part, because we thrust the shaft from the side, but in swinging, we are told the club is stressed length wise, why would flex matter??

EdZ

New
It is useful because the vast majority of golfers over accelerate at transition.

This 'feel', of the rock/string is a huge help in getting the proper transition and 'building' speed. And yes, the shaft is bent because we want lag, no throw away - margin for error. The 'limit' of this margin for error would be an exactly perfect pendulum, beyond which, you would have throw away.

Status
Not open for further replies.