Need some input of the following swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have done a great job in providing your son with every opportunity for learning and competing...maybe the phase of "being taught" is coming to an end?

Really, on the kind of 30fps video that we can post...even Brian is going to struggle to see something that is going to give your boy an edge...

There are other parts of the game where he will be able to improve... some have to be self-learnt rather than taught...Hogan's "dig it out of the dirt" stuff is more than just him learning his technique...it is about training his mind.

But at the moment, let him work it out for himself - his body will strengthen and fill out over next 18 months, stronger, fitter, more experienced, but remember that he really must "need it" as much as you "want it".

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Not clear.

He did not say teachers only reply, he was taking advice for any hack (like myself). I certainly did not tell him it is ridiculous to post on this forum, I did tell him not to take advice from hacks. He was impressed because I had a lot of posts, doesn't mean I should be giving advice to a top 40 college player in the country. If his post was for Manzella Academy only I not only wouldn't have read it, I wouldn't have responded in the manner I did. The kid is just too damn good to take advice from the average forum member. The academy instructors I am sure would be of great help to him and nowhere was my previous post inconsistent with this belief.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

There are FAMOUS TEACHERS who visit this site who may hide behind a screenname.

I do agree that most people listen to too many folks about their golf swings, and should just trust the guy who can get them to hit it the best. ;)

Bulldog, Thanks for your advise and share your experience on how and what to guide a prodigy, you must be a good coach. At the beginning it was me introduce him to golf and the swing, after that he is on his own, married with golf, I just support what he need so he didn't burned out... now he is in college I kind of stay away and remote monitoring only, give second opinion, the reason : there are so many information on the books, website, DB or Video in U tube, many good and so so information. In my little note book Modern golf informations not always give the right ways, like we ate too much doses of medicines it kill us; theory like connections , keep lower body quite during swing, stack on left foot and rotary swing in one plane just name a fews. I am here only give second opinions to him, so he not to overly use that modern drugs...and at the end more focus on scoring.

Last edited:
Brian you are the best... simple answer but with a deep thought, this is I believe the roots of the problem, I can see it now after spend so many hours studied his swings in slo-mo. Things started when he tried to "modernize" the swing like I posted above. Kids now a day allergic to classical footwork like Hogan or Snead, IMO they are still the best move, especially for Mr. Hogan a "cat" like footwork.

Do you think the following Leslie King advise on the back swing still valid now a day?

:" Come forward on to the ball of the left foot and the body turn will then bring you on to the inside edge of the sole with both knees staying level and the left knee moving in towards the ball. Get that first fractional movement of the left foot correct and you need concern yourself with it no more. The right foot is firmly on the ground from toe to heel, and here, too, the weight is concentrated towards the inside edge."

Thanks you for your advise, looking forward to see your schedule in CA.

Last edited:
hi mrodoc, thank you for your concern and care about us, don't worry we can feel it if it is a big fish or crab. Brian's post is a big fish!

Swing looks like Shigeki Maruyama (sp?)
I could not find Maruyama swing in U tube, i try to remember it was a stiff left hand right? is SP stand for swing plane? please advise since we new in TGM term.
Yes he is more toward CF now, more upright than used to be, in the past (2 years ago) he adopted Morad from Mac. assistant, he wanted to be more CP which produce more draw for him.

spider

New
I could not find Maruyama swing in U tube, i try to remember it was a stiff left hand right? is SP stand for swing plane? please advise since we new in TGM term.
Yes he is more toward CF now, more upright than used to be, in the past (2 years ago) he adopted Morad from Mac. assistant, he wanted to be more CP which produce more draw for him.

sp? means he wasn't sure about spelling :)

TGM-ers please open up, there is no secret in golf, just look at Tommy 2 gloves

sp? means he wasn't sure about spelling :)

oh, some people want to know what time is it and others want to know how to build the watch!!

After spend so many hours a day I figured out from this DB, stopped making the golf swing like rocket science. Many golfers (i.e. TGMers) can't get out of there own way b/c there so wrapped up in the science of the swing making it much harder than it really is.
The requirement now is more "how to" by understanding that science, IMO golf is an applied science not purely "what" and "why".

thanks for your insight.

Last edited:
I read and read again your post several time, where I can find the answer for Sound "Back swing pivot"? please advise if we need NSA or NHA or other videos?

Thanks for your time.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Sound Back Swing Pivot.

The best backswing pivot sorta work like this:

The golfer uses the pivot to stress the shaft in the takeaway. Hard to do if you hover (my term) on the left foot.

Then the backswing shifting and initial turning are complete about 3/4ths of the way back. At this point MAX shift OFF the left foot has occurred.

Then, the rest of the backswing is a FALL back on the left foot, making the downswing easier.

I will post a video of myself hitting a hard fade to demonstrate (very exagerated with my old self ;)).

"Golf may be science, but it isn't rocket science." —Brian Manzella

I read and read again your post several time, where I can find the answer for Sound "Back swing pivot"? please advise if we need NSA or NHA or other videos?

Thanks for your time.

Highball, i read some of your posts and feel that you are maybe getting frustrated that you do not have any real answers.... or what you feel are real answers....

I think that is because your son has as good a swing as can be developed given the limitations of video instruction on the internet coming through a 2nd party ( ie. your thoughts rather than your son's thoughts).

There is really nothing more that anyone can say to you about your sons swing, as per the video, over and above what Brian has already said about maybe shifting from the left heel during backswing....

TGM has no magic for somebody who is already doing most things right...

Maybe your son's improvement comes from better tournament practise...better on course preshot decisions and set-up.... better short game...better putting....ie. all the things that are not on the video shots you have on Youtube.

If you have the book (TGM) it is chapter 3 and 14 that would benefit your son... and those things do not show up on video.

At your sons level - it is all about his hands...at least that is the way I have read TGM....educated hands means that you "swing the club like a club" ie. according to the 3 imperatives (on plane, flat left wrist and lagging club head pressure point) but you feel these things in your hands....then you just learn to swing your hands...if you do TGM by the book.... that is the position that Homer Kelley was trying to get people towards.... it is as much mental as physical...hence you can not "see" it on the videos....

Hope this helps to explain why TGM gurus have not given you the answer that you seek...(by the way - i not classify myself as guru :D but I can at least see why they have not given you an answer).... maybe your question needs to be changed from "How can my son improve this swing"...to "how can my son use this swing better when it really matters"?? Video of practice rounds are no help there IMHO. I imagine need to hear his thoughts, see him under pressure etc....

Very well put, I forward your post to my son's email together with Manz's tips, right now I bury my head on TGM chapter 3 and 14, I will get back to you shortly.

thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.