New Release - before and after

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before - was really only working on taking turf on the target side of ball. Was hitting the ball well on the course like this.

This after 3 range sessions and a couple of viewings of Brian's release vid. No shanks now:eek:. Really just trying to focus for now on the out-toss move. Considering the intent behind the move, I'm pleasantly surprised that this doesn't look like a huge cast. It's hard to make an exact comparison with older swings, but I don't think i've lost any lag from this.

Definitely a shallower divot, possibly too shallow for my liking across the bag of balls that I hit. I think there are signs of a more upward handpath through impact, though I've not really worked yet on consciously sticking the hula hoop into the ground, or yanking it out.

Still need to work on clubface control. I've strengthened my grip and I think I probably need to work a bit on flexing my left wrist post impact.

Not shown, but I think that half wedges with a bit of hula hoop manipulation are the most promising thing for me here.

Comments welcome.

Birly shirly,

Nice work, I think you are on a good track. Got to convince yourself first before you will move on with the upgrades.

Out Toss sets the whole thing up. No tugs from a big shoulder/back turn if you can.

It looks to me like you have an early flip to negotiate there, so when you adjust the hand path to rise through impact you will scoop the ball.

You have a reversed sequencing that is very common. Too much rotation during transition and too much lateral through impact. You've got a mild case of it, but it still prevents you from sustaining lag pressure through impact.

You start to rotate your upper body right at transition instead of leading with your lower body. At hip height your shoulders have rotated too much and your hands have arrived too late and are out of sync with especially the left shoulder. So you are not in a position to turn properly through impact.

It all boils down to an upper body dominant swing and a lower body that is way too passive. You should start transition with your lower body and swing more from the feet all the way through impact.

Thanks for the comments Matt

I don't think I'm by nature, or nurture, a typical handle dragger. Bad shots are a bit shallow and scoopy, so yes, the out-toss seems like a good place to start. I'll definitely work on making and keeping my turn next - but I really wanted to see the out-toss on video to check I was on the right path.

Handpath and jump through impact are definitely on the later curriculum too - as I'm seeing a big difference in my impact with short wedges with these moves.

@ BerntR - thanks also for the comments.

Actually, I think a lot of what you're suggesting will come in time. I think already, the 2nd swing looks like less of a lunge with the upper body and more rotational through impact and to the finish. That wasn't something I consciously worked on, but it's nice to see. I also think that if I learn to retain my turn through transition, that will show up as a more active and lateral move in the lower body.

Sound reasonable?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
The late set of the club will also contribute a little to the upper body dive. Arms might become too slack at the top making it harder to toss out. Finish in the second video a ton better.

@Kevin and @DSchultz

Thanks for looking and the comments. I've always felt that an earlier set helps me with a bigger turn - so now I've got a reason to do both.

The better finish is weird. It's genuinely nothing I'd given any conscious thought to - so a totally unexpected bonus to see improvement there. That lunge move in the follow-through has always bugged me, but I've never known what to do about it and in fact was putting it down to a lack of flexibility. My bad.

S

SteveT

@ birly-shirly .... are you attempting to raise the hand coupling point relative to the ground with a 7-iron through impact?

I think already, the 2nd swing looks like less of a lunge with the upper body and more rotational through impact and to the finish. That wasn't something I consciously worked on, but it's nice to see. I also think that if I learn to retain my turn through transition, that will show up as a more active and lateral move in the lower body.

Sound reasonable?

You seem to have a better form into the finish in the second video, but it doesn't look like you're leading with the lower body. Lower and upper seems to go simultaneously.

When you work with the right things, a lot of other good things tend to happen. I am not a professional instructor so I don't know whether what you're working on now will give you a better pivot motion. My personal experience and impression is that a good pivot only comes naturally to reasonable talented kids. All golfers who start as adults tend to have more or less dysfunctional pivots.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Yes, lag pressure through impact. I think I've made clear what it means.

If you've got a better term for substantial reduction of "normal force" before impact due to a flip I'm all ears.

You are NOT accelerating the club through impact.

Maybe I haven't made that clear.

You seem to have a better form into the finish in the second video, but it doesn't look like you're leading with the lower body. Lower and upper seems to go simultaneously.

When you work with the right things, a lot of other good things tend to happen. I am not a professional instructor so I don't know whether what you're working on now will give you a better pivot motion. My personal experience and impression is that a good pivot only comes naturally to reasonable talented kids. All golfers who start as adults tend to have more or less dysfunctional pivots.
I think it's more about being subject to "instruction" rather than lack of natural talent.

"It's like hitting a rock on the ground with a stick"

You are NOT accelerating the club through impact.

Maybe I haven't made that clear.

No you haven't.

Your response in the other thread was very vague. It was a yes and a no at the same time. I read the response like this: A force by itself will not lead to increased swing speed, but if there's a motion involved (left shoulder) it might. It didn't sound like they had the difinitive answer at hand. And that surprises me because this can be deducted from geometry.

You aren't clear now either, btw. Are you talking about the swing itself or the meeting between club head and ball? And if you - as I -are basically talking about the swing - when does the acceleration stop? And why?

And where does the parametric acceleration enter the picture if it's not acceleration?

And how can you do "parametric acceleration" if not pulling a flat primary lever from the left shoulder anyway?

And about "normal" force you've indicated that this is towards the swing center as well as up the shaft? How can those two be the same if the shoulder is moving? And if there isn't any accelerating force going on - why is it better to have a flat left wrist at impact than flipping over before impact?

Let's just say that I am not convinced that you understand the physics underlying my statements. I may trust your judgment call if you convince me that you understand what I was talking about. But not before.

Status
Not open for further replies.