New release. Old photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are two photos I made quite a while ago.

Any comments given all we've learned about the release recently?

I used to think the differences in what the body was doing in the first photo explained why the club looks so different in the second photo.

Now I'm wondering if the differences in what the body is doing is related to the intent of the golfer.
(Dragging the handle vs line up the club)

comparenaschdelivery.jpg

comparenaschpostimpact.jpg

S

SteveT

Lots happening between the first and second frames.... and it's a mix of dragging and 'going normal'.... I think....

What's the massive difference you are referring to? Clearly the player on the right is a tad more "open" and his hands are lower pre impact, but what's your take on it?

And I thought the player on the right was more of the handle drag/pivoting like crazy swing.

I know videos are good at fooling us, but are there clues from a down the line shot as to what a well timed release looks like?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Of course, we don't know what kind of shot he was playing, etc.. Schwartzel appears to have a very good release but plays a lot of hold off irons whereas Na IMO slings it a little bit. Tough to decipher from down the line but you can try to look how quickly the but tend appears to point back at the player and then check the wrist position at the 3/4 finish area.

fadegolfer

I'm a fan of "slinging it"

I sure hope Brian isnt teaching Toms any of this new release slinging stuff. Because the way he goes through the ball is 180 degrees opposite to what Kevin Na is doing there. I would much rather have the Toms style release of pivoting through the shot with less clubface roll post impact, and the club cutting left as opposed to Na stalling the pivot and slinging it dtl with more clubface roll. I think the difference in their release styles is a big part of the reason that Toms is one the if not the most consistent ballstriker in the game today, and Na is much less consistent from day to day.

I sure hope Brian isnt teaching Toms any of this new release slinging stuff. Because the way he goes through the ball is 180 degrees opposite to what Kevin Na is doing there. I would much rather have the Toms style release of pivoting through the shot with less clubface roll post impact, and the club cutting left as opposed to Na stalling the pivot and slinging it dtl with more clubface roll. I think the difference in their release styles is a big part of the reason that Toms is one the if not the most consistent ballstriker in the game today, and Na is much less consistent from day to day.

Everything is customized.

Are these photos from the same day (same pin position)? Na is aimed more at the left edge of the green and schwartzel at the right which seem counter-intuitive if Na is slinging big draws, it's hard for me to take a lot away from these pictures without knowing what ball flight they were trying to hit, how those shots turned out, how much wind there was, what type of shots they were typically hitting that day, and so on.........

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator

Every great player lines the club up to release. All theses so called "rotary" swingers with their massive chicken wings and no power is what the science has proven to be completely inefficient.

Also, every golfer has deceleration. They have to, or they wouldn't be able to hit it.

The "slinging it" was tongue in cheek aimed at people like you who think that is what Brian is teaching now.

Also, about the roll part. Kevin Na rolls it too much for my liking. I bend my left wrist, not roll it. The clubface stays really square.

Read the release thread.

Last edited:

fadegolfer

Im not sure about your point about "massive chicken wings and no power" Toms may not have alot of power but i dont think he chicken wings. I dont know about science proving it inefficient, because hes one of the most consistent ballstrikers in the world , so i would take his "rotary" release over Na's stall and sling all day long.

I thought we were through looking at pictures to determine intent. Pictures can be deceptive and we tend to only hand pick ones that agree with our point of view. That being said, the player on the right is a handle dragger.

Im not sure about your point about "massive chicken wings and no power" Toms may not have alot of power but i dont think he chicken wings. I dont know about science proving it inefficient, because hes one of the most consistent ballstrikers in the world , so i would take his "rotary" release over Na's stall and sling all day long.

Pivot/rotary aint got sheet to do with fading or drawing. Some of the best faders in the world have stalled pivots.

Status
Not open for further replies.